• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

As promised here is the picture of Leigh Comm football club taken in May 1971, wearing the Southend United shirts. The person sitting in the front row left is Willie Kellerway who went on to become club director Bill Kellerway in the 1990s. View attachment 2887

Apart from you, Bill Kellaway and 'Monte Pearman', only one's i recognise is Mark R (behind BK) and is that Reg S, back row on the right hand side?

Front row right hand side, Del M?
Back row ,Brian Kerry ,Rowan Greenslade , Yours Truly, Monty, Gary Dench, Reg Styles . Middle row ,MarkRowbotham, Nevile Soare , Steve Goldring , Colin Stubbs , Gary Dench , Front row Willie Kellerway, Steve Tann , Del Morrisey .

Willies brother broke TJ leg in a row , thats why he was on crutches at Gillingham .

Willies brother broke TJ leg in a row , thats why he was on crutches at Gillingham .
It happend when we were playing football one night , they didnt like each other and both went for it , I still remember the crack , it happend about two weeks before Gillingham .

In the 1925-26 season, Southend had a nice little F.A. Cup run. Helped by being drawn at home every round at the Kursaal Ground.
Round 1:Southend 5 Dulwich Hamlet 1
Round 2:Southend 1 Gillingham 0
Round 3:Southend 5 Southport 2
Round 4:Southend 4 Derby County 1
Then in the fifth round Southend played Notts Forest and lost 1-0 in front of 18,153

If you look here(no sound and no goal) Southend are in the light shirts. You can see the Kursaal dome and rides in the background at the beginning of the film.

Last edited:
Back row ,Brian Kerry ,Rowan Greenslade , Yours Truly, Monty, Gary Dench, Reg Styles . Middle row ,MarkRowbotham, Nevile Soare , Steve Goldring , Colin Stubbs , Gary Dench , Front row Willie Kellerway, Steve Tann , Del Morrisey .
Sorry the middle row Gary Dench is Chris Kiernan .

Just showed this to my old man, and he was there for it.

I also showed him the old footage on here from the Bristol Rovers Cup game in 1952, he nearly fell off his chair watching that but he recognized all the southend players names, his Dad used to run a Corner shop a on Sutton Road just down from the ground and was friendly with all the players as they used to come in on a regular basis, I even believe the players used to come around to the house for parties back in those days.....How times have changed!

I was there sitting on the South Bank just above the old Tea Shop. Eating my customary bag of Smith's crisps, counting the number of blue salt wrappers. Having spent my first 2 seasons @ Grainger Road, I wasn't too impressed with Roots Hall when it first became home to the Blues. There was still a lot of work to be done around the ground and the pitch had to be re-laid soon after as the drainage was so poor.

In the 1925-26 season, Southend had a nice little F.A. Cup run. Helped by being drawn at home every round at the Kursaal Ground.
Round 1:Southend 5 Dulwich Hamlet 1
Round 2:Southend 1 Gillingham 0
Round 3:Southend 5 Southport 2
Round 4:Southend 4 Derby County 1
Then in the fifth round Southend played Notts Forest and lost 1-0 in front of 18,153

If you look here(no sound and no goal) Southend are in the light shirts. You can see the Kursaal dome and rides in the background at the beginning of the film.

http://www.britishpathe.com/video/notts-forest-win/query/southend+united

Just noticed the refs uniform. They actually wear a jacket, probably just for colder months. Best seen at the kick-off.

Just noticed the refs uniform. They actually wear a jacket, probably just for colder months. Best seen at the kick-off.

Quite a few good camera angles in that clip, especially high up from the waterchute. For those of you interested the Woodgrange Drive end of the Kursaal Ground ran just North of where Kursaal Way is today and one of the old entrance ways to the ground was at the junction with Park Lane. There is actually a gap between the new flats where the old entrance way once was. You can compare a modern day map with these old images
http://www.britainfromabove.org.uk/...hend-on-Sea&ADMIN_AREA=Southend-on-Sea&ref=86
http://www.britainfromabove.org.uk/...hend-on-Sea&ADMIN_AREA=Southend-on-Sea&ref=83

By 1938 the ground had gone and replaced by a rollercoaster.
http://www.britainfromabove.org.uk/...end-on-Sea&ADMIN_AREA=Southend-on-Sea&ref=274

Wouldn't it be great to have still had a ground near the seafront.

There used to be more clips of Southend matches on the Pathe website, one of which was the Blackpool v Southend 3rd round FA cup game in 1950 but its no longer on there for some reason.

Quite a few good camera angles in that clip, especially high up from the waterchute. For those of you interested the Woodgrange Drive end of the Kursaal Ground ran just North of where Kursaal Way is today and one of the old entrance ways to the ground was at the junction with Park Lane. There is actually a gap between the new flats where the old entrance way once was. You can compare a modern day map with these old images
http://www.britainfromabove.org.uk/...hend-on-Sea&ADMIN_AREA=Southend-on-Sea&ref=86
http://www.britainfromabove.org.uk/...hend-on-Sea&ADMIN_AREA=Southend-on-Sea&ref=83

By 1938 the ground had gone and replaced by a rollercoaster.
http://www.britainfromabove.org.uk/...end-on-Sea&ADMIN_AREA=Southend-on-Sea&ref=274

Wouldn't it be great to have still had a ground near the seafront.

There used to be more clips of Southend matches on the Pathe website, one of which was the Blackpool v Southend 3rd round FA cup game in 1950 but its no longer on there for some reason.

After looking for days, I have found it, but it's hidden on another film about Southend of old.
It shows Southend v Wrexham in the F.A. Cup 2nd round at The Greyhound Stadium, in which we win 2-0, and then shows us well beaten by the then great Blackpool who had Stan Mortenson (197 goals in 317 appearances for Blackpool, Wow.) and Sir Stanley Mathews.
One of their mascots was a donkey.
It's well worth watching and starts just after 6 minutes.

Last edited:
Does anyone have a decent quality picture of Ian Benjamin scoring v Bury, or Stan Collymore on the fans shoulders after the luton game? Maybe something from a match programme that could be scanned. Or if not just good pictures of them playing for Southend. Help much appreciated.

After looking for days, I have found it, but it's hidden on another film about Southend of old.
It shows Southend v Wrexham in the F.A. Cup 2nd round at The Greyhound Stadium, in which we win 2-0, and then shows us well beaten by the then great Blackpool who had Stan Mortenson (197 goals in 317 appearances for Blackpool, Wow.) and Sir Stanley Mathews.
One of their mascots was a donkey.
It's well worth watching and starts just after 6 minutes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oo57RLz46gk

Great thanks for finding that. If you look when Blackpool score at 8:10 to 8:20 no one along the side is cheering. I'm not sure how accurate Dave Goody's estimate of 6,000 Southend fans is but it looks like we had quite a few up there.

I think our keeper (Ted Hankey) should have done much better for the 2nd goal he flaps at the ball, he palms it onto the bar and it falls kindly for Blackpool player to score. I wonder if he was berated by the Southend fans on the long journey home.

I wonder if there are any fans left that went that day I suppose there could be? I used to know someone that went to the Everton cup game in 1955 he said we had a fair few there that day but as there was no segregation our fans were lost in the 50,000+ crowd.

Thinking about it if someone was about 10 years old and went to Blackpool that day they would 'only' be about 74 now, so its possible some are still about.

I wonder if there are any fans left that went that day I suppose there could be? I used to know someone that went to the Everton cup game in 1955 he said we had a fair few there that day but as there was no segregation our fans were lost in the 50,000+ crowd.
.[/QUOTE]My Dad and uncles all went to Everton , and they used to say that when Southend were 2-1 down the ball came across the goal Kevin Barron who had already scored could not lift his leg to put the ball in the net from three foot , after the game he said that he had fallen of a ladder at home two days before and he thought that a trapped nerve had stopped him scoreing .

Drastic™;1678591 said:
Does anyone have a decent quality picture of Ian Benjamin scoring v Bury, or Stan Collymore on the fans shoulders after the luton game? Maybe something from a match programme that could be scanned. Or if not just good pictures of them playing for Southend. Help much appreciated.

I love hearing that '' Benjamin, Benjamin with a shimmy, a shot, OH MY WORD, IT'S THERE.''

''Scenes of absolute delirium.''

Brought a lump to my throat watching that.

Last edited:

My Dad and uncles all went to Everton , and they used to say that when Southend were 2-1 down the ball came across the goal Kevin Barron who had already scored could not lift his leg to put the ball in the net from three foot , after the game he said that he had fallen of a ladder at home two days before and he thought that a trapped nerve had stopped him scoreing .

Blackpool was before I was born and I was only 3 for the Everton game, but here are some snippets researched from the Southend Standard :

BLACKPOOL

Over 1,000 fans will travel by rail, road and air to Blackpool this week-end to support Southend United in their stiffest task in post-war football, when they meet Blackpool in the Third Round proper of the F.A. Cup on Saturday. United players came under club orders on Tuesday when they made the Palace Hotel their headquarters.

The special train from Southend arrived late at its destination, but supporters were able to make the ground in comfortable time. The air contingent arrived just after 11 a.m. and included Mrs. Harry Warren and her daughter Sheila making their first air trip. The air travellers returned to Southend just after 6.30 p.m. while the special train arrived in Southend just after midnight. Enthusiasm ran high in Southend, for large crowds gathered outside the offices of the Southend Standard in Cliff Town road where a commentary of the game was posted up every fifteen minutes.

EVERTON

A special Buffet Car Train will depart from and return to the under mentioned stations on Saturday next. January 8th to and from Liverpool (Lime Street) at a return fare of 37s 6d (£1.87½p).Departing Shoeburyness at 6.30 a.m. stopping at all stations to Benfleet, and arriving at Liverpool (Lime Street) at 12.50 p.m. and departing 5.55 p.m. Railway Tickets and Football Stand tickets 7s 6d (37½p) and 5s (25p) are obtainable at supporters Club Office 57 London road, Southend but Football Stand Tickets are not available after 1 p.m. Thursday January 6th. Subject all seats being taken by Wednesday January 5th, a 36 seater aircraft will leave the Municipal Airport, Rochford on Saturday morning next for the Airport at Liverpool. Transport to and from the Football Ground will be provided. Flying time approximately 1 hour 20 minutes. Cost per person £3 10s (£3.50). The Board and the team are travelling on Thursday and staying at the Adelphi Hotel and will train on the Liverpool F.C. ground on Friday. Blues will be playing red and white. The Supporters Club band will be travelling on the special train with the 500 other supporters.

F.A.Cup Round 3
Saturday 8th January 1955
Everton 3-1 Southend United.

Southend United’d run in the F.A. Cup is over, but they went out in a blaze of glory as they battled for 78 of the 90 minutes with only ten men. Blues skill was ona par with their hosts and their never say die attitude gained the applause of the largest crowd of the day 53, 043. Supporters travelling by air had a tough time, a fault developed in the planes radion delaying take off and some supporters arrived at the ground literally seconds before kick-off. United supporters wearing their red and white colours paraded Liverpool ringing bells, holding up the traffic and generally letting people know that they came from Southend. Before the start of the game thick fog threatened the game but cleared during most of the game returning just before the end. There was a huge roar went up in the third minute when a Bainbridge corner was headd into the net by Baron who was captain for the day. The roar not only from the southend supporters but also from Liverpool fans in the crowd cheering their former player Baron. Then came the injury to Bainbridge who pulled a back muscle and could barely move, Blues without the injury would have been two goals ahead for the ball went to Bainbridge with an open goal but he was in too much agony to take the opportunity. Inevitably after 17 minutes Everton equalised, but blues still continued to play good football despite the handicap of the injury. A minute before the interval Everton took the lead with a deflected shot. Although a goal down Southend still fought hard until a goal mid-way through the second half finally settled the “David and Goliath” contest. Team: Threadgold; Pavitt and A. Anderson; Burns, Howe and Lawler; Sibley, Whyte, Hollis, Baron and Bainbridge.

Interesting how the miss/injury to Baron you described is similar to that of Bainbridge. I often find that stories handed down over the tears are based on fact but sometimes get jumbled. Frankly I'll go with your version far better story.

Back