• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Those Chelsea(LC),Villa (FA),QPR(FA)...wow what games... and as you wrote Os...the NORTH BANK was never better...great days,memories..
Shame we did not have tv at those games..then people would have seen the "PAK" in full "swing"
My dad took me to the Chelsea game. East Stand north paddock. I spent most of the time watching the activity in the North Bank !

Is it my eyes or was the pitch square shaped at the greyhound stadium ?

You're talking about this photo from page 1 of this thread I believe. No it's a normal sized pitch, but the angle the photo has been taken from makes it look square.

Stadium.jpg

I found this little gem(In colour as well). Sorry It's a defeat, but It's the only footage I can find of a Southend game around that time. The only other video is the players at Roots Hall market in 1966 that I have already put on here.
Anyway, it's the 1966/67 season in Division 4. It's our last away match that season. Southport are going for promotion and finish 2nd and we finish 6th. Southend played in that kit from 1965-67, and then kept the same shirt and shorts for the 1967/68 season, but changed the socks.
Our squad that season was this, for any old timers on here trying to recognise the players.
John Baber Winger
Tony Beanland Wing half
Tony Bentley Full back
Graham Birks Full back
Eddie Firmani Inside forward
Colin Flatt Centre forward
Bobby Haddrick Centre half
Steve Ingle Full back
Alex Lumsden Forward
Frank Matthews Full back
Eddie May Central defender
John McKinven Outside Left
Trevor Roberts Goalkeeper
Mel Slack Wing half
Malcolm Slater Winger
Andy Smillie Inside forward
Ray Smith Centre forward
Ray White Goalkeeper
Derek Woodley Winger

[video=youtube;TGuTcNLmIXg]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TGuTcNLmIXg[/video]

You're talking about this photo from page 1 of this thread I believe. No it's a normal sized pitch, but the angle the photo has been taken from makes it look square.

Stadium.jpg

Not sure that's a genuine, unaltered photograph. The width of the pitch appears almost 3 times the width of the penalty area. The corner quadrants (and the players) are disproportionately large, there are no goal areas, although the lack of penalty arc would be okay if it was in the first two years of our tenure there.

Early equivalent of Photoshop, methinks.

I found this little gem(In colour as well). Sorry It's a defeat, but It's the only footage I can find of a Southend game around that time. The only other video is the players at Roots Hall market in 1966 that I have already put on here.
Anyway, it's the 1966/67 season in Division 4. It's our last away match that season. Southport are going for promotion and finish 2nd and we finish 6th. Southend played in that kit from 1965-67, and then kept the same shirt and shorts for the 1967/68 season, but changed the socks.
Our squad that season was this, for any old timers on here trying to recognise the players.
John Baber Winger
Tony Beanland Wing half
Tony Bentley Full back
Graham Birks Full back
Eddie Firmani Inside forward
Colin Flatt Centre forward
Bobby Haddrick Centre half
Steve Ingle Full back
Alex Lumsden Forward
Frank Matthews Full back
Eddie May Central defender
John McKinven Outside Left
Trevor Roberts Goalkeeper
Mel Slack Wing half
Malcolm Slater Winger
Andy Smillie Inside forward
Ray Smith Centre forward
Ray White Goalkeeper
Derek Woodley Winger

[video=youtube;TGuTcNLmIXg]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TGuTcNLmIXg[/video]

Can't quite make myself out in the crowd ! That match was after the fire which nearly saw the end of Southport FC and they had to use makeshift facilities with the players changing in a nearby school.

Not sure that's a genuine, unaltered photograph. The width of the pitch appears almost 3 times the width of the penalty area. The corner quadrants (and the players) are disproportionately large, there are no goal areas, although the lack of penalty arc would be okay if it was in the first two years of our tenure there.

The Goal areas dont appear to be marked out either....
6 YD box in modern parlance.

The Goal areas dont appear to be marked out either....
6 YD box in modern parlance.

...... funny echo in here !

What a GREAT film (Southport v us).Other than Mick,i wonder who else may have been there..Nobbler??
Nice to see Trevor Roberts in goal.
Was that Tony Bentley playing no4,
Bog rolls,flat caps,rattle and dog and fans on the pitch..what more do you want from a game!!!

What a GREAT film (Southport v us).Other than Mick,i wonder who else may have been there..Nobbler??
Nice to see Trevor Roberts in goal.
Was that Tony Bentley playing no4,
Bog rolls,flat caps,rattle and dog and fans on the pitch..what more do you want from a game!!!

Was not at the game in the film but went to Southport another season at Easter with in Bonzo`s van with a couple of other guys - memory is fading.

Back