• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

i didn't realise Phil's contract was up in 6 months, is that true? If so I hope he signs a new one - not sure who out there will do a better job that would want to actually come to us...

I thought do Gooder was polite. Compare that to pro Brown posters who tend to label anti Brown posters as clueless or idiots. I won't lower myself to that level

I presume you're referring to Yorkshire's signature reproduced below

"probablyDefinitely THE most clueless idiot on here" - according to wiggy

Interesting that one of our very successful managers in Tilson failed elsewhere after us. Do we believe that most of these managers are more than capable, but, very much like players, only get it right sometimes and are to easily replaced by the next in the merry go round ?

I think it's the other way round, most managers aren't all that. They are often appointed on their playing prowess rather than any managerial ability and stumble into success by a series of trial and error and the way they've known it been done without really understanding why it worked. That's why most can't replicate it.

Of the 92 managers in the Football League and Premier$hite 80+ are ex pros but those who didn't start that way include Mourinho and Wenger, two of the most successful. That's what makes Cowley an interesting candidate as someone's who's worked his way up rather than relied on his reputation.

Maybe it's changing as the management courses are giving football management more of an academic basis, but the managers who will be successful aren't going to be the ones who just follow what they learnt on a training course as everyone else will be doing that as well.

I thought do Gooder was polite. Compare that to pro Brown posters who tend to label anti Brown posters as clueless or idiots. I won't lower myself to that level

But now you are generalising, I've never labelled anti Brown posters as clueless or idiots so can I please be excused from being called a "do Gooder"?

When the current manager leaves I want someone to send out a team that doesn't have continuous 0-0 draws and occasionally make me feel "35 minutes more of this crap --- I could be at home doing something I enjoy".

I actually think the vast majority of people sit somewhere in the middle on the Brown debate

There's the people who log-on straight after a defeat and re-emphasize their point. On the other hand, there are people who will back Brown regardless.

Neither camp are idiots, clueless or otherwise.

The rest of us appreciate that Brown has his faults, but in general has done a decent job. Understand that he might want a position elsewhere and also, if he did go, would just move on and see who is next to manage our club, hoping it's someone like a Tilly or Webby, but accepting that if it's not, that it's someone who keeps us stable and gives us a bit of hope for the future.

When the current manager leaves I want someone to send out a team that doesn't have continuous 0-0 draws and occasionally make me feel "35 minutes more of this crap --- I could be at home doing something I enjoy".

The last home game wasn't much to write home about, but I don't think there's been many 0-0 draws, in truth.

Last season, there were some fantastic games at The Hall.

By "continuous" assume you mean one - Rochdale at home.

Looking at all of the posts on this topic it confirms what I have always thought. That is that most agree that Brown has done a reasonable job with SUFC but overall the fans have never really warmed to him. Most fans, of all clubs, feel that he has a massive ego and this is what irritates many of them. I don't agree with some of his criticism of players in public but at the moment he deserves to stay and lets see where we are at the end of the season before making a final judgement on him.

only because we let to many in and make it eternally difficult for ourselves

Away, we've leaked some sloppy goals in short passages of play, on occasions.

At home, we've only let 6 goals in all season.

Last edited:
Supporters are heaping their praises on Tilly. But I think without Paul Brush as his assistant he would'nt have achieved anything

If we are going to replace PB then I feel he only has himself to blame. For me, and yes it's only an opinion, he has not learned from past mismanagement. Look at his record prior to joining us;

Bolton 1999 - well that was five games as caretaker and little can be made of that.
Derby 2005-2006 season- he only lasted until December and was finally sacked after losing 3-1 to Colchester in the FA cup. Ironic if it was to happen after tonight.
Hull 2006-2010- arguably his best years. Look at the scoring record,
2006-2007 - Dean Windows top scored with 8 goals. Yes, 8!
2007-2008- Frazier Campbell got 15 in the play off winning squad that included Michael Turner and Will Atkinson.
2008-2009- Geovanni, a midfielder, got 8. Yes 8 again.
2009-2010- Stephen Hunt, another mid, got 6.

Then in 2011 he managed Preston to relegation and had Ian Hulme top score with 12.

Wherever he has gone, goals have been very few and far between. He has managed some very capable strikers and got naff all out of them. Coincidence? Doubt it.

The clean sheet mentality can be effective but when you concede you need to know you can reply. I do not believe he trains or sets up his sides with any teeth in attack. His tactics nullify the abilities of some very good forward players. We could and should have done so much more with the teams PB has fielded whilst with us.

We need a new manager that has a balanced knowledge of playing football and can set the team up from front to back.

Supporters are heaping their praises on Tilly. But I think without Paul Brush as his assistant he would'nt have achieved anything

Agreed. I think good managers work in pairs a lot better than on their own and as a team, can often be successful, but not so much on their own. That said, I think Tilly was his own man, as well and should deserve credit along with Brushy. Same applied with Webby and Lock.

The obvious other ones are Clough and Taylor, or Mee and Howe at Arsenal. Two trophy winning clubs, where two people worked better than one.

Last edited:
If we are going to replace PB then I feel he only has himself to blame. For me, and yes it's only an opinion, he has not learned from past mismanagement. Look at his record prior to joining us;

Wherever he has gone, goals have been very few and far between. He has managed some very capable strikers and got naff all out of them. Coincidence? Doubt it.

I know this is a little out of context, but Simon Cox did manage 16 goals last season after being signed by Phil Brown.

Agreed. I think good managers work in pairs a lot better than on their own and as a team, can often be successful, but not so much on their own. That said, I think Tilly was his own man, as well and should deserve credit along with Brushy. Same applied with Webby and Lock.

The obvious other ones are Clough and Taylor, or Mee and Howe at Arsenal. Two trophy winning clubs, where two people worked better than one.

And back a little further Joe Mercer and Malcolm Allison.

I honestly think that if Ben Coker + Rob Kiernan had been fit all season , we would be top of the league right now. With pretty much our whole defence either injured / playing with injuries / suspended / on international duty ( apart from the ever reliable John White ) its been our lack of confidence at the back holding our whole team back.
Our squad is quality all over the park with experienced top quality ex premier + Championship players. We are only a good win below the play offs so im very very confident we will still go up this season. Brown wont get a better job yet but once he takes us up then next season both him + Lenny will be so sought after they can name their price.

So stop the guff and get right behind the lads tonight against our pathetically woeful 6 fingered friends from up the A12 , we need our players' confidence building and wins breeds wins breeds wins. So come along , lets hear the Roots Hall roar and rather than grumble at one of our players making a bad pass , let rip into the likes of Ryan Innes or any of his rubbish colleagues and lets watch how abuse adversely affects the OPPOSITIONS players' confidence.

UTB

Back