• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Official Match Thread Oxford V Southend United

Its not the results that bother me - as others have said, they mean little really at this stage - its the manner we are doing it. Nothing seems to have changed from last season and Luggy seems all over the shop with tactics and selections and I just feel we havent moved on this year under him (already).

I know we have Freddy and Smith to come in, but remains to see how good Freddy is going to be.

For me, I can only see Martin pulling the trigger sooner rather than later.

Guys this is just Ron Martin's clever plan to get us out of financial problems. Get the team to lose the first few games, let our odds to win the league drift out a bit then stick the warchest on us winning the title and sit back as Freddy Eastwood, Bilel Mohsni and Big Bad Barry Corr are unleashed upon an unsuspecting League Two.

He's a wile wee devil, is our Ron.

Hey, there's a young manager over on Canvey whose got 2 straight wins out of 2, playing good football too. Get him in!

Its not the results that bother me - as others have said, they mean little really at this stage - its the manner we are doing it. Nothing seems to have changed from last season and Luggy seems all over the shop with tactics and selections and I just feel we havent moved on this year under him (already).

The tactics and selections which got us the most points in a season we've ever had?

Guys this is just Ron Martin's clever plan to get us out of financial problems. Get the team to lose the first few games, let our odds to win the league drift out a bit then stick the warchest on us winning the title and sit back as Freddy Eastwood, Bilel Mohsni and Big Bad Barry Corr are unleashed upon an unsuspecting League Two.

The Warchest??....has Sainsburys given us the balance on Roots Hall then? :winking:

Bloody hell Ron. Two "crocks" and a no-show!! Get in there!!!

There is only one thing to do - go to Northampton and give it a real go.

My guess is that Hall will again be left on the bench and Leonard will still inexplicably be played in midfield. And given that we are without our most influential central midfielder now too I don't fancy us at all at Northampton.....

My guess is that Hall will again be left on the bench and Leonard will still inexplicably be played in midfield. And given that we are without our most influential central midfielder now too I don't fancy us at all at Northampton.....

Exactly.
Even more reason to go to Northampton with the correct attitude, dig deep and goooooooo for it!

Beat Northampton 5-2 last time around, 4goals gone due to players leaving the club and the 5th on the transfer market!

Ayo, onward and upwards

Exactly.
Even more reason to go to Northampton with the correct attitude, dig deep and goooooooo for it!

I fully agree that we need as strong a side as we can put out at Northampton, and that means Hall certainly in it! But I think we all know it'll be a defensive 4-5-1 line-up with the intention of going there to try and nab a point, just like tonight.....

I'm quite sure we'll climb the table, especially when key players return. I'd be far more worried if we'd been deservedly beaten in both games 11 vs 11, but with Saturday's smash-and-grab plus the circumstances contributing to tonight's defeat I still believe things will look very different 6-8 weeks down the line. Not a good start though. :unsure:

Some BBC stats from tonight;
Oxford ; possession 68% , shots 21 with 8 on target.
Blues ; possession 32% , shots 2 with 1 on target.

I think the current squad is not strong enough to compete for any honors, i know we are not at full strength but some of our new signings dont quite cut the mustard for a promotion chasing team.

With a player sent off it was always going to be difficult tonight, but just look at the stats, they are absolutely awful, we just need to show a massive improvement if this season isnt going to go tits up, before its hardly started.

I hope Freddy is going to be fit soon, because i just cant see where we are going to get a goal from at the moment, but even more of a worry is that we are just not creative enough in midfield.

End of Sermon

Some BBC stats from tonight;
Oxford ; possession 68% , shots 21 with 8 on target.
Blues ; possession 32% , shots 2 with 1 on target.

I think the current squad is not strong enough to compete for any honors, i know we are not at full strength but some of our new signings dont quite cut the mustard for a promotion chasing team.

With a player sent off it was always going to be difficult tonight, but just look at the stats, they are absolutely awful, we just need to show a massive improvement if this season isnt going to go tits up, before its hardly started.

I hope Freddy is going to be fit soon, because i just cant see where we are going to get a goal from at the moment, but even more of a worry is that we are just not creative enough in midfield.

End of Sermon

This is your considered opinion after 2 league games....Genius

Don't consider pre season results, it's for tactical experiments, team building and fitness.
In the matches that count, We lost to a good attacking team in a higher league, we lost at home in a dire match which we had the better of and on another day could have easily taken the 3 points, and tonight we've lost to a side who were a decent outfit last season and we had 10 men for a vast majority of the game.
It is a bad start, but I'm not worried yet. Of those 3 results the Accy one stands out as thats the game we should have won, however the league is 2 games old, and there is still a lot of time for upward momentum.
If we're in a similar position come October then I will be concerned.

Back