• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Youd expect a new manager to have SOME positive impact and some fresh ideas. Yet all weve had is the tactical farce at Wembley, 3 insipid home performances and a footballing lesson from Rochdale.
Brown had 2 good seasons with Hull. Apart from that he has done nothing to justiy any confidence in him.

Overall that's true, but you can also judge Brown on the games he has been in charge this season. You'd judge a player over the same amount of games. Let's call it a 'trial' period then (i.e. not conditions of Brown's choosing but a chance to demonstrate potential ability): how has PB faired?

Difference is a player relies on his own talent, a manager relies on what talent he has at his disposal. If there isnt any you cant expect any manager to turn mediocrity into superiority.

Could he have made more of an impact? Yes he could. However there is no magic wand and whilst Id "hope" to see an improvement Im not sure that Id "expect" to see one seeing as Sturrock is an experienced manager and wasnt able to to get a performance out of the same players.

So how has he faired? He has continued with the mediocrity but has at least tried to change the way we play and brought the likes of Freddy back into the side.

I personally never expected a dramatic upturn in form and for me Ill judge next season. Same results in the first 10 games next year and I wont be happy thats for sure.

I hope PB does well- that should be the same for all supporters, and I expect it is . However at this precise point in time , having been to Wembley and sat through the ensuing home games, would I turn back time and have not got rid of Sturrock - yes I would. Who knows, maybe it would hae been worse, and maybe PB (or someone else) would now be joining a couple of months later without having the advantages PB has had. We will never know, I will judge him on next season, but so far the fact is I have seen little to give me any indication that taking him on was a good move Therefore at the moment I am giving him the benefit of the doubt, when instead I wish I could see a bunch of positives to grab hold. hopefully this will change.

I think I disagree with that. I actually have seen a change in tactics. PS was very keen for his defence to get rid of the ball ASAP, either long to the front men, or short to midfield. I've seen far more of the defence playing with the ball, and the team as a whole being a whole lot more patient in possession. I don't know for sure, but my belief is that we have had far more possession under Brown than we ever did under Strurrock. I may be wrong on that, but it's certainly the impression I have got from looking at the BBS stats...

I also don't think PB has chopped and changed too much. He has tried to find a settled team, but has a lot of players to look at. He needs to see if they can play the style of football he wants them to play, so needs to give them all a chance ready for next season. Certainly the last few games the team has been more settled...

I know this is particularly sad, but I have just used the match reviews on the BBC web site to look at our possession stats for the year. I know, I'm a) sad, and b) bored!

I have only looked at league games because most cup games are either against teams in a higher or lower division...

Under PS we averaged 49.7%. Under PB we averaged 53.3%. However, if you take out the games where players have been sent off, which would skew stats for that game, PS rises to 50.1%. No players have been sent off, for or against, since PB took charge.

A thing I didn't like was when PB was on the radio after the Rochdale or York game and said words to the effect of "I don't know why they kept knocking the ball long as that's not what I told them to do". Was this another reminder that this was PS' team/squad and not his? Anyway how long does somebody have to be at a club before they start saying we or us? I hope he starts taking more responsibility next season win or lose. After all we are called United rather than something like the Wanderers.

Back