• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Phil Brown set for more contract talks with Gary Deegan

People have short memories. Played a key role at a crucial time of season when we strung a nice run of league victories together. He does a job and does it well. I'd keep him on. Nobody would like to play against him either. A useful psychological tool against fancy league 1 teams.

I think people are overcritical about Deegan's passing ability. I thought he picked out decent passes and was disciplined enough to keep it simple. John White doesn't come in for any stick and he's pretty woeful on the ball, expect for crossing.

With Timlin and Wordworth, I'm not fussed if we have Deegan in the squad as an option to provide some presence, and play simple passes to our more creative and attacking players.

However he's not worth breaking the bank for.

I agree.That pass he made just outside the 18 yard box to I can't remember that we then scored from was sublime and not too many of the squad would have made that pass. It's very possible that L1 may suit Deegan better. I'd keep him on for sure. His reaction when we score is immense, it lifts the crowd no end which lists the players too. I reckon he is a big influence in the changing room too

Totally agree! Everyone has this obsession with him because he has a bushy beard. Personally I'm not a fan of this fad and can't wait for it to end and people to realise how stupid they actually look.

Deegan is average at best and is better suited to league two football. He will be found out in league one and in my personal opinion it's just a waste of a slot that could be used elsewhere. We are midfield heavy and could do with losing him to help bring more up top in.

agree... And the beard fad is crap, it makes 25 year olds look 50+..... Strange.... Some players think they are better than they are, move on... Don't need it..

I
Can see now why negotiations have been difficult ...

CJy81MIW8AAzNLF.jpg

What. The ****. Is THAT?! Is he trying to grow a bloody forest or something?! I can't stand my beard after six days, he looks like he hasn't shaved in six years!

Keep him.. ***** beard quality shorts.. They will be back in fashion in 3 years. As soon as beckham wears a pair in L.A. Everyone else will be kylied up in 3 weeks ..
I think he will be useful in league one , it's a long season injuries galore.

He quite clearly rates himself higher than the club do.

If we can come to a deal then great, but if not never mind.

He was always dragging his heals about new 1 month deals, so can only imagine how much of a pain he is being now. Clubs are not queueing up to sign him. Northampton fans think he is the reason they nearly went down 2 years ago, and absolutely hate him.

He was always dragging his heals about new 1 month deals, so can only imagine how much of a pain he is being now. Clubs are not queueing up to sign him. Northampton fans think he is the reason they nearly went down 2 years ago, and absolutely hate him.

*His agent

I do love deegs as a "icon" but I'm not sure he will offer much as competition for a first team spot. If his reasonable then keep him on as back up, but if not then won't be too sad to see him leave.

I think some of the criticism of him has been slightly harsh in all fairness. Lot of comments about his passing being "poor", or "L2 standard", and I honestly think his passing is much better than that - as one person said, his through-ball pass to set up a goal last season (again I can't remember who it was against but it was a home game) was one of the best through ball passes I've seen, and no-one else in the team could've picked out a better pass. But I feel he adds a lot more to the team. When I saw him play I was impressed with him and thought he could do a job in L1. He tends to be the type of player who is fully committed to tackles and breaks up play in midfield, and that's something we've missed over recent years. In League 1, we're going to be up against some very strong midfielders, and a player like Deegan could be a big asset to the team. Alongside that, he seems like the type of character who will lift the players and crowd also - I remember last season against Stevenage away in the league, after Corr's penalty he ran over to the crowd and celebrated with them first before celebrating with Corr. He has a passion for this game which has been clear to see throughout this season (as Brown has mentioned in the past) and I think it would be a loss if he was to leave us personally.

Got to agree with this, and his own cut down shorts to show off his muscles, big legs don't alway mean anything... I don't see other clubs after him....of course his agent may pretend there is......

I think some of the criticism of him has been slightly harsh in all fairness. Lot of comments about his passing being "poor", or "L2 standard", and I honestly think his passing is much better than that - as one person said, his through-ball pass to set up a goal last season (again I can't remember who it was against but it was a home game) was one of the best through ball passes I've seen, and no-one else in the team could've picked out a better pass. But I feel he adds a lot more to the team. When I saw him play I was impressed with him and thought he could do a job in L1. He tends to be the type of player who is fully committed to tackles and breaks up play in midfield, and that's something we've missed over recent years. In League 1, we're going to be up against some very strong midfielders, and a player like Deegan could be a big asset to the team. Alongside that, he seems like the type of character who will lift the players and crowd also - I remember last season against Stevenage away in the league, after Corr's penalty he ran over to the crowd and celebrated with them first before celebrating with Corr. He has a passion for this game which has been clear to see throughout this season (as Brown has mentioned in the past) and I think it would be a loss if he was to leave us personally.

Cheltenham at home, McLaughlin rifled home. That was quality to be fair, kudos to him for that. If he could do that more often it would be great, however, if he could do that more often he wouldn't be playing for us.

If it was up to me I would keep him just for the difficult tricky away games where on occasions we might need to bring him on to give us a bit of grit.

That being said I would choose Timlin and Wordsworth all day long ahead of him. I think he's decent but he will always be a cover/bit part player and being in league 1 will be hard for him as I do think he's league 2 standard personally.

I have only read that Brown has said they are miles apart on wages at the moment and I would not offer him too much as in all honesty he's not that great.

Cheltenham at home, McLaughlin rifled home. That was quality to be fair, kudos to him for that. If he could do that more often it would be great, however, if he could do that more often he wouldn't be playing for us.
That's the one! One of the best through balls I've seen, and it's a glimpse of what he can do when he's on his day. He does have a positive impact on the team, and I do think he has a place at this club. Interview today says that he wants to stay and brown wants him to stay, so maybe it's a sign that he's very close to signing a new deal

Back