• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Please not this early...I'm not in the mood after last night, especially as they had closed the 127 on the way home.

With no warning! Loads of matrix signs between the M1 junction and A127 junction and they choose only to tell us that A13 West Bound is closed.

I'm one of Timlin's biggest fans but even I have to agree that I think he's lost his way. He's even, dare I say it, beginning to look a bit Mohsni-esque at times. :sad:

There are teams that the diamond works well against and there are teams that it clearly doesn't. When it doesn't, we have to revert to a more orthodox formation with width. Not enough prep ahead of that game imho.

This was the sort of crap being spouted round the stadium by a few vocal fans and was the real disappointment of the evening. If it's a waste of your time don't bother coming, and if you can't handle it when your team loses a couple of games, you have a hard life ahead of you as a SUFC fan. We've gone up a league and are a work in progress at this level - results like this will happen.

As far as the match went, we lost 3-1, could have been 3-2, but 3-0 would have been a fairer reflection. We didn't get going, but frustratingly only conceded from 3 badly defended set pieces - if we could do the basics we'd have undeservedly taken some points tonight! The 4-3-3 formation suited us at home but left us very exposed here, and also too many players just had an off day - not singling them out but don't think Coker and Timlin will have had many worse games for us, as an example.

At least PB can make a load of changes for the next game - I'll have money Deegan comes back in! The first thing I'd do if he's fit is reinstate the captain.
I didn't vocally abuse the players and never will, that's counter-productive. Waste of a time was a bit of an exaggeration but you can hardly expect people to reflect on the last 3 away performances positively, and I'm still going to go to games whether you tell me not to bother or not thanks. Just because I'm not pleased about 3 poor away performances in a couple of weeks including 2 midweek journeys doesn't mean I can't handle a defeat, it just means I'm not going to use Cliches about where we thought we'd be at the start of the season and how we've come along way to excuse it

Agree that abuse of the players is not acceptable but can understand the frustration of anyone who has travelled 1,200 miles in 13 days (including 2 evening trips) to see 3 abject performances in which we picked up 0 points and barely created a chance.

So how would Worrell have stopped them scoring from a corner. They never created any dangerous chances from out wide, as I said Bolger and Barrett actually played ok.

Worrall on before half time and McQueen just after and they never produce one cross between them.

Coker not one cross all night and his set pieces were his normal poor standard. Not because he didn't get forward he just wanted to overcomplicate things with Worrall. They couldn't even take a throw in without messing it up and what about their short corner that had all the Vale fans around me in the main stand laughing at us.

O'Neil poor crosses all night, mostly flat and easily headed clear. Barnett and Hunt did not have as single ball into the box that they could attack.

Finally right at death we put a decent in swinging free kick into the back post and we score. They go to pieces and we even get a penalty.

We were not beaten by a good team, or by tactics. That second goal was our own doing and we are not going to come back from that.
Not true. I remember 2.

Not true. I remember 2.

Yes, I should have said crosses of any quality. We actually had a good move one minute into the second half and your lad Sam done well on that but they blocked his shot. Then we quickly followed it up with another attack and things looked promising. Vale immediately feigned an injury and stopped the game for quite a while and we struggled to get going again.

When Sam was doing OK on the left until he and Worrall switched wings, Sam drifted out of the game. Not really his fault. PB often switches the wide men even in the first half. In my opinion Worrall plays better on the right as he crosses the ball better, he is not strong on his left so wants to cut in on his right. You will find when Worrall and Coker are together on the left they always have far more of the ball than the right side.

Unfortunately for Sam he had to do the 'Cinderella' job on the right for over 20 minutes. Our midfield did not do enough to bring him into the game but then again we were poor most of the night. Pleased he grabbed a goal, shame it was so late because we could have panicked them a bit had it been earlier.

left work early - begging a favour

drove for 4 hours paid 22 pounds

PV low corner to near post gets thru- 1-0

O Neil heads cross to PV player in space in the box- 2 -0

PV free kick to back post squirts thru 3-0

half time -

leave at 90 mins............. I NEVER do this

miss the hopeless comeback...... apparently a professional footballer calling himself a "striker" earning thousands every week wearing a SUFC shirt misses from 12 yards

drive for 4 hours AND pay for fuel at motorway prices

Get home-

Ref was terrible but it was Sunday league stuff at free kicks and corners

Knackered all day saturday trying not to be bitter- it was a complete shambles

Our Fans arguing amongst themselves after the Match too.
It seemed a weird atmosphere, every one seemed ****ed off (I guess understandably), people arguing with one another, sarcastically cheering our ago, abusing the players, no chanting - we tried to get some going but it never really took off...one of the worst away games I can remember for quite a while.

It seemed a weird atmosphere, every one seemed ****ed off (I guess understandably), people arguing with one another, sarcastically cheering our ago, abusing the players, no chanting - we tried to get some going but it never really took off...one of the worst away games I can remember for quite a while.

This. It rings very true.

I wasn't at the game as a near death experience (well, man flu) kept me at home but I have been to a number of away games and seen similar. When things are going well it's all cheers and laughter but once things start to go a bit awry there seems to be a number of people who resort to infantile behaviour more redolent of a teenager who has been allowed half a glass of cheap cider and allowed to stay up late.

They do a good impression of people that are lacking in back-bone, character, fortitude, resilience, moral fibre, tenacity, grit, determination, courage and the guts required to battle through with the team.

Why travel all that way and not support the team (no matter the performance) during the game? Madness eh?

Hash tag: Yourteamneedsyoursupport

The diamond (our fifth formation in two months) doesn't work, Hendrie > Coker and we miss Leonard and our underrated Skipper.

As has been the issue throughout Brown's tenure, he doesn't know his best XI and I doubt whether he even knows 8 of his best XI.

As has been the issue throughout Brown's tenure, he doesn't know his best XI and I doubt whether he even knows 8 of his best XI.

Absolutely agree - it's not just that there is a constant chopping and changing but the scale of the changes seems a bit odd at times.

Some of the changes can be put down to injuries and suspensions of course but even so it seems all too reactive and not proactive at times.

Type that again, I don't get this?

I think the first part is typed with a heavy amount of sarcasm - meaning that it was Prosser that (often/always) took the blame when the defence was breached previously .............. and getting rid of Prosser has not fixed the issue.

Well, that's my reading of it anyway.

I think the first part is typed with a heavy amount of sarcasm - meaning that it was Prosser that (often/always) took the blame when the defence was breached previously .............. and getting rid of Prosser has not fixed the issue.

Well, that's my reading of it anyway.

Agree. Fair assessment lol
Decided not to post to early ,after Friday's performance
Long trip
I have in the past questioned Browns ability to movtivate his team lately
That comradeship shown to get us up last year seems to have drastically disappeared
Maybe Ron needs to freshen it up, with League 1 status more or less certain.

Agree. Fair assessment lol
Decided not to post to early ,after Friday's performance
Long trip
I have in the past questioned Browns ability to movtivate his team lately
That comradeship shown to get us up last year seems to have drastically disappeared
Maybe Ron needs to freshen it up, with League 1 status more or less certain.

Are you able to expand on what that might mean?

Yes, I should have said crosses of any quality. We actually had a good move one minute into the second half and your lad Sam done well on that but they blocked his shot. Then we quickly followed it up with another attack and things looked promising. Vale immediately feigned an injury and stopped the game for quite a while and we struggled to get going again.

When Sam was doing OK on the left until he and Worrall switched wings, Sam drifted out of the game. Not really his fault. PB often switches the wide men even in the first half. In my opinion Worrall plays better on the right as he crosses the ball better, he is not strong on his left so wants to cut in on his right. You will find when Worrall and Coker are together on the left they always have far more of the ball than the right side.

Unfortunately for Sam he had to do the 'Cinderella' job on the right for over 20 minutes. Our midfield did not do enough to bring him into the game but then again we were poor most of the night. Pleased he grabbed a goal, shame it was so late because we could have panicked them a bit had it been earlier.

It does seem that Southend attack down the left far more than the right. Sam prefers right wing to left but frankly he's doesn't care where he plays as long as there is some football going on. He understands that long ball is the norm in league one but gets frustrated that the one touch pass along the floor is not seen as often as it should. In terms of fast one touch football this is a step down from U21 matches for him but the competitiveness, physicality and atmosphere makes up for that somewhat. He spends a lot of time screaming for the ball to his feet but rarely gets it. Decision making is probably the weakest area for the majority of the Southend players as far as I can see. Personal footballing skills are actually very good much better than I imagined. The coaching Sam got at Saints with the first team coaches was mainly about improving fast decision making.

Back