• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

It does seem that Southend attack down the left far more than the right. Sam prefers right wing to left but frankly he's doesn't care where he plays as long as there is some football going on. He understands that long ball is the norm in league one but gets frustrated that the one touch pass along the floor is not seen as often as it should. In terms of fast one touch football this is a step down from U21 matches for him but the competitiveness, physicality and atmosphere makes up for that somewhat. He spends a lot of time screaming for the ball to his feet but rarely gets it. Decision making is probably the weakest area for the majority of the Southend players as far as I can see. Personal footballing skills are actually very good much better than I imagined. The coaching Sam got at Saints with the first team coaches was mainly about improving fast decision making.

Unfortunately, Southampton we ain't. :smile:

Unfortunately, Southampton we ain't. :smile:

:smile: Yes agreed but I wonder how much better the players would become and play if they had more aspiring coaching and fitness training. When you look at what Leicester and Tottenham are doing I think you see the result of good coaching and high intensity fitness training inspiring players that were not considered the best to achieve way above what was expected. I reckon there are some gems among the pebbles in lower leagues just waiting to be discovered and given their chance.

:smile: Yes agreed but I wonder how much better the players would become and play if they had more aspiring coaching and fitness training. When you look at what Leicester and Tottenham are doing I think you see the result of good coaching and high intensity fitness training inspiring players that were not considered the best to achieve way above what was expected. I reckon there are some gems among the pebbles in lower leagues just waiting to be discovered and given their chance.

I saw on one of the football programs that Leicester have most days off in the Premiership, as the manager believes in not knackering them, and keeping them fresh.

my take on friday, shocking drive to get up the M5 & M6 meant enough time for only 5 pre-match pints when looking back on that performance 10 pints was more necessary!

i was quietly optimistic following the burton result & I dont blame brown for starting with the same system and formation as monday, the players earnt the right so fair enough however Port Vale's pitch was big, they must have looked at our system as they attacked down the wings where there was acres of space, O'neil isolated and generally had shocker with his header for their 2nd goal being the icing on the cake.

Even when we changed to a flat 4 in the 2nd half things didnt really improve much, we pushed on and left space at the back and a better team than Port Vale would have scored a few more.

The most frustrating thing was Port Vale's number 8, who scored their 2nd and was their MOTM ran the show all night without breaking sweat, He sat in front of their back 4 and sprayed it round all over the place dictating play and I dont think any southend player ever got close to put a tackle in on him or give him a boot.

We move on and hopefully it'll be lessons learnt, you cant give any team a 3 goal head start and expect to get anything from the game.

On the saturday I went with a mate to Stoke v Villa and when you watch a club like villa and see how shocking they are you realise that sometimes what you have got aint necessarily that bad!

Their fans didn't think much about us (and note the reference to them being sh*te at corners) ;

"How things change in a week. The Vale at times on Friday were just class, passing the ball around and basically made Southend look very poor. They had no answer and I bet Phil Brown couldn't believe what had happened to his team after they beat high-flying Burton on Monday."

"First 10 minutes, Southend came out looking to continue their form from Monday. Then the unthinkable happens, a goal from a corner. Thankfully Michael O'Connor was back on set play duties and it paid dividends. Then to be three up at half time was superb.
"We knew the second half should be tough as Southend needed to change approach, but they were only a very physical side, which we combated well. Their all round play was poor but they somehow managed to score!"

I don't think we've played anyone who thinks we're any good.

Amazing we're above all these teams! :winking:

Please elaborate on the fitness coaching done by Leicester and Tottenham which is so different to everyone else?

I've heard that Phil Brown actually works on fitness a lot in training.

Please elaborate on the fitness coaching done by Leicester and Tottenham which is so different to everyone else?

when I finish my burger shift I normally put on my VHS Jane Fonda keep fit video,mummy often tells me off as she thinks I'm perving at Jane,anyway I'm very tired so off to bed with my mug of Horlick's,night all.

Westy you are a lad.

Leicester have a very strict and well planned fitness regime, which Nigel Pearson introduced last season, involving specific player conditioning and the right balance of hard training and rest, which has resulted in hardly any injuries this season.

I guess it's easier as they are not bogged down with Europe and didn't progress overly in either cup competition.

I've heard that Phil Brown actually works on fitness a lot in training.

Pochettino uses something called Spanish Gym. Lots of running against elastic ropes etc. Plus aerobic sessions twice a day. The difference he made to the fitness levels of that Spurs side is there to see. They can run all day. I don't know anything about Leicester but based on their ability to press and fast break like Spurs suggests they are doing something similar. Sam will tell you the fittest he has ever been was during the early half of 2014 under Pochettino. Mind you he also says that he was pleasantly surprised at the Southend training being more aerobic and professional than expected. I do have to be careful about what I reveal of course so I will leave it there :angel:

Anyone know what happened in the second half at the back of the away end that caused the stewards to rush up the stairs? Did we get so bored that we started fighting among ourselves?

Have to say it was very disappointing to see fans abusing the players and arguing with each other. Yes we were dire on Friday night but we are 7th in League One, let's have some perspective. If you're annoyed by the performance then leave early, don't stay behind at the end just so you can wave the players to go away when they come to applaud you.

Pochettino uses something called Spanish Gym. Lots of running against elastic ropes etc. Plus aerobic sessions twice a day. The difference he made to the fitness levels of that Spurs side is there to see. They can run all day. I don't know anything about Leicester but based on their ability to press and fast break like Spurs suggests they are doing something similar. Sam will tell you the fittest he has ever been was during the early half of 2014 under Pochettino. Mind you he also says that he was pleasantly surprised at the Southend training being more aerobic and professional than expected. I do have to be careful about what I reveal of course so I will leave it there :angel:

Interesting article on Pochettino here
Mauricio Pochettino: Just who is the man behind Spurs' title bid?
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/35739244

Gosh. We're so lucky he's bothered to lower himself to play (occasionally) for us.

Please thank him unconditionally.

Last edited by a moderator:

Gosh. We're so lucky he's bothered to lower himself to play (occasionally) for us.

Totally unnecessary and unwarrented

Last edited by a moderator:

Apologies if I (or by proxy Sam) came across arrogant there. Certainly not intended but I see on reflection one could read it as such. I was trying to say that from a naive perspective of an inexperienced young footballer one would imagine training was better and more intense higher up the leagues matching the ability of the players but clearly that's not true and it was a surprise. Sam knows he's not set the world alight yet and is thankful for his opportunities so far and is relishing the challenge of proving himself. No better way of developing than having to fight for your place. However, I know you've seen nowhere near his best yet. Again sorry if I offended not intended just thought you be interested in a bit of an outsiders insider experience and viewpoint.

Apologies if I (or by proxy Sam) came across arrogant there. Certainly not intended but I see on reflection one could read it as such. I was trying to say that from a naive perspective of an inexperienced young footballer one would imagine training was better and more intense higher up the leagues matching the ability of the players but clearly that's not true and it was a surprise. Sam knows he's not set the world alight yet and is thankful for his opportunities so far and is relishing the challenge of proving himself. No better way of developing than having to fight for your place. However, I know you've seen nowhere near his best yet. Again sorry if I offended not intended just thought you be interested in a bit of an outsiders insider experience and viewpoint.

Keep posting bloke.

People are always entitled to their opinions and comments but you don't have to defend yourself.

Back