• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

I've been to all 3 ......... but never to Wycombe (just can't seem to get up any enthusiasm). Sunderland away last time was more than a little tricky and it is a big and rather typical feature less construction, Burton is a poor "stadium" but Barnsley's has a little more soul and is, for me, the best of the three to visit.

I can't imagine much of a crowd at Sunderland in relation to the stadium size.

I reckon the fans will be flooding back if they have a good season though. For Sunderland, that has to mean automatic promotion.

Absolutely - if they are in the top group after about 5 or 6 games then the crowds will be back ....... although I imagine that there is a large number of season ticket holders who go no matter what is served up in front of them.

I hope we get to play them (home or away) in the early part of the season - best chance of getting three points especially if they have a number of new players trying to gel (do they even have a manager at the moment?) following late signings.

And just to contradict myself I can imagine that should the Sunderland team fail to perform early on then Roker Park (can't remember what the new ground is called) could become a very hostile place during home games. Nasty. :sad:

So Scunthorpe again next season.
We must have played Scunthorpe more times recently than any other team.

11,000 at Rotherham for tonight's game. Was the ground full? Otherwise 11,000 seems a rather poor effort.

By the way, what is the population of Rotherham compared with Southend-on-Sea?

Luckily we have a great record at their pl....oh.
Didn't even want to think about that. To be fair our home record over them is pretty good.

However it would be nice to win there and Luton, two grounds I have never seen us win at. In fact I doubt many of us have ever seen us win at Luton as the last time was 1964.

11,000 at Rotherham for tonight's game. Was the ground full? Otherwise 11,000 seems a rather poor effort.

By the way, what is the population of Rotherham compared with Southend-on-Sea?
12,000 capacity at Rotherham.
Metropolitan population of Rotherham is 257,000
The actual town population 110,000 so smaller than Southend.

The stadium of light is on my list and Accrington. Would prefer Notts County from the play-offs as I haven't been for years. Certainly not Lincoln for personal 1980 reasons. Would settle for a weekend down in Devon as I have found a lovely place to stay about 10 miles from Exeter.
I would like to take this rare opportunity to agree with Rigsby.

Absolutely - if they are in the top group after about 5 or 6 games then the crowds will be back ....... although I imagine that there is a large number of season ticket holders who go no matter what is served up in front of them.

I hope we get to play them (home or away) in the early part of the season - best chance of getting three points especially if they have a number of new players trying to gel (do they even have a manager at the moment?) following late signings.

And just to contradict myself I can imagine that should the Sunderland team fail to perform early on then Roker Park (can't remember what the new ground is called) could become a very hostile place during home games. Nasty. :sad:

Who ever it is they will get over £30m in parachute payments to spend on their team. Thats before they get their actual Sunderland budget. Slightly more than CP has to work with and all the managers who will get less than CP.

Rocker park used to have the Rocker roar which was intimidating for the away team and fans alike. Now of course the Mak'ems have gone all modern day PL fan where only the success you have never achieved and never will, is acceptable.

Lets hope we get them first away game of the season. A weekend away up north, their fans chucking season tickets on the pitch by half-time and we stroll out of an empty stadium with a nice 3-0 under our belts.

Q? Is it generally better to play early a relegated team and later a promoted team. Them that have come down are unsettled and reforming while them that has come up are in good spirits and have a winning mentality? I appreciate that this is a generalisation concept and examples against that logic are fairly easy to pick. I raise this as Accers, early in the season away, might be best left to others, while Sunderland early could be a reasonable expectation of getting a point or more.

I'd imagine they lose a lot of fans to the Sheffield clubs much as we do to the big London sides.

Not just the football from Sheffield. The shopping and the nightlife etc. Makes their town centre a dreadful place. I went out with a girl from Rotherham for a while and yes the women are tough up there. She was a kick boxer.

Q? Is it generally better to play early a relegated team and later a promoted team. Them that have come down are unsettled and reforming while them that has come up are in good spirits and have a winning mentality? I appreciate that this is a generalisation concept and examples against that logic are fairly easy to pick. I raise this as Accers, early in the season away, might be best left to others, while Sunderland early could be a reasonable expectation of getting a point or more.

It does appear that way but I guess stats would probably not prove much. We beat Blackburn but were stuffed by Rotherham. As lots of players and managers come and go even with current L1 clubs I guess the fixture card does have some luck attached to it. The season before we beat Sheffiled U as they tried to gel with the new manager. They were in full swing when we played them at home.

Other times teams have eased off in the last few games if they are already promoted or champions. Certainly in L1 injuries make a big difference when you play a team. Our makeshift side that lost at Wigan probably made their fans think RH shouldn't be to difficult. Then up pops Michael Turner after 2 minutes and they realised they were in for day.

The top 4 teams in League 1 each only lost 4 times away from home; the bottom 4 (away form only) lost over a dozen times & that included us.
It is fairly simple really, and has always been IMO, good home form (like us) may keep us away from danger but the away form and squeezing draws instead of defeats on 9 of our 13 defeats would have put us in the play offs. Is this why SCP has been tinkering with away formations?

The top 4 teams in League 1 each only lost 4 times away from home; the bottom 4 (away form only) lost over a dozen times & that included us.
It is fairly simple really, and has always been IMO, good home form (like us) may keep us away from danger but the away form and squeezing draws instead of defeats on 9 of our 13 defeats would have put us in the play offs. Is this why SCP has been tinkering with away formations?

Yes I dare say it is and not only had he earned the right to do that, it was the sensible thing to do when your mid table because your home form is top 4 but you can barely buy a win or even a draw on your travels.

Exeter 3 up on Lincoln. Thank **** for that I cannot deal with the Cowley brother loving if they had got them promoted.

Exeter 3 up on Lincoln. Thank **** for that I cannot deal with the Cowley brother loving if they had got them promoted.

Just a poor mans Tilly & Brush. Saved us then took us up twice in a row from the level they are at now.

Back