• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Maybe I'm naive, but I can't believe Bentley would let a situation happen where he goes on a free next summer. I think he has too much respect for the club for that to happen.

He can't go on a free next summer unless he moves abroad. We'd get some sort of fee.

Maybe I'm naive, but I can't believe Bentley would let a situation happen where he goes on a free next summer. I think he has too much respect for the club for that to happen.

I don't think he's going to sign a new contract, potentially dissuading potential suitors, just so we can earn a bit of money out of him. He's ambitious, he knows he is destined for bigger and better things and he is ready for them now. I hope I'm wrong but I'd be absolutely stunned if he signs a new deal with us.

Much like with Corr and Timlin, the time to sit down and discuss a new contract with Bentley was November - January. He'd asserted himself as our number one but while clearly destined for bigger and better things, wasn't being spoke about as an excellent prospect by anybody else but Phil Brown. A well-structured, long-term deal which recognised his ability and potential, with clauses to reflect the potential for promotion and/or transfer approach, could've been in the best interests for all involved.

Our failure to do so points to one of two situations. Either we're grossly incompetent when it comes to contract renewals, something which the Corr and Timlin scenarios would certainly attest to, or the club had/has every expectation that he won't be a Southend United player in September, and we wanted to save ourselves a couple of quid by not giving him eight/nine months of increased pay.

Much like with Corr and Timlin, the time to sit down and discuss a new contract with Bentley was November - January. He'd asserted himself as our number one but while clearly destined for bigger and better things, wasn't being spoke about as an excellent prospect by anybody else but Phil Brown. A well-structured, long-term deal which recognised his ability and potential, with clauses to reflect the potential for promotion and/or transfer approach, could've been in the best interests for all involved.

Our failure to do so points to one of two situations. Either we're grossly incompetent when it comes to contract renewals, something which the Corr and Timlin scenarios would certainly attest to, or the club had/has every expectation that he won't be a Southend United player in September, and we wanted to save ourselves a couple of quid by not giving him eight/nine months of increased pay.

Plus Phil Brown hadn't signed his own contract, so there was no real continuity - it all hinged on us getting promoted.

If we get £1.6m for Bentley I would like the money spent on a small geodesic dome to keep the pieces of the mega dome out of the rain so it doesn't go rusty.

I get the Hull area BBC TV local news where I live. On the lunchtime bulletin today, it was reported that Steve Bruce is hopeful of signing 5 new players for Hull City by the weekend. No names, unfortunately, but it sounds like his chairman has given him the green light to spend the £8 million they have just got from West Brom for James Chester, so he has cash in hand to bid for Bentley if he chooses to do so.

Fair enough - is that something in the FA rules then? Is there a minimum clubs have to pay for players under 24 out of contract?

If clubs can't agree a fee then it goes to a tribunal who decide the value.

We had to pay for Straker because of it.

Fair enough - is that something in the FA rules then? Is there a minimum clubs have to pay for players under 24 out of contract?

If a player under the age of 24 moves to another club on a free transfer, then there's a window in which the two clubs must negotiate a fee. If an agreement can't be reached then it goes to tribunal. Tribunal fees have been historically low, but they're slightly more realistic now, albeit quite heavily weighted in clauses.

But that's specific to UK clubs. If he signed for a club overseas then we're still entitled to fee, but it's comparatively minute. Danny Ings is a good example of this. Burnley stand to get several million for him as it's going to tribunal, but if he went to Real Sociedad as rumoured Burnley would've only been entitled to something like £206k.

I get the Hull area BBC TV local news where I live. On the lunchtime bulletin today, it was reported that Steve Bruce is hopeful of signing 5 new players for Hull City by the weekend. No names, unfortunately, but it sounds like his chairman has given him the green light to spend the £8 million they have just got from West Brom for James Chester, so he has cash in hand to bid for Bentley if he chooses to do so.

DB price has just gone up to £5m+ then. :winking:

QPR just got £10m from Liverpool from the Raheem Sterling sale so they should have a big chunk of cash. If we can get £1.5m - at least half up front, and 20% sell-on then I think that's a great deal for all three parties.

And, potentially, £15m for Charlie Austin.......................loadsa money to spend :winking:

From the press article, QPR will only bid if Rob Green goes. I haven't seen anything yet which suggests that will happen.

Depends whichever club wants to get relegated from the Premier League this year. He's the modern day Nigel Quashie.

Back