• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

I get the Hull area BBC TV local news where I live. On the lunchtime bulletin today, it was reported that Steve Bruce is hopeful of signing 5 new players for Hull City by the weekend. No names, unfortunately, but it sounds like his chairman has given him the green light to spend the £8 million they have just got from West Brom for James Chester, so he has cash in hand to bid for Bentley if he chooses to do so.
Plus they just sold Brady to Norwich for 7m, so thats 15m to play with if he gets it all.

He's clearly on his way so I don't quite understand why there's pages and pages of speculation. We just need to use the next few weeks to drive the price as high as we can. Our ability to do this will depend on the number of interested parties. If only 1 club wants him, we won't get as much - simple as.

What to replace him with is another matter. Ted Smith I think is still a deputy. I was / am a big fan of Paul but he hasn't played competitively for 2 years (would he be he same?) and would quickly have his confidence shot to pieces by our loyal fans. As such a new face would be needed but this isn't a big issue as goalkeeper is always one area where there's no problem getting someone in - a lot of players will be fed up of sitting on benches in higher divisions.

i think the factors are something like this

1) is Bentley willing to stay, even for a bit? if not then sell for the best deal
2) if he is willing to stay would we get more for selling him now and risking relegation, subject to getting a replacement, or keep him in an attempt to stay in the division but risk a far lower fee in a year?

the possibility of a contract extension is secondary to those two points i think. totally agree we should have signed him to as long a one as possible a while ago but maybe he didn't want to himself

If it was 1 million last week and it's 2 now, they're obviously prepared to pay more - they'll obviously just be trying their luck. Who knows, next week 3 mil could be on the table.

does anyone understand the situation at QPR.
They sold their number 2 last week - he was highly rated but unhappy as he wasn't getting games . The fact he left could indicate that he believes Green isn't going anywhere. They also have three other keepers - although none are young .
I can't see anything recent linking Green to another club.

Originally Green was inked with Chelsea (hence QPR were looking for another keeper (unsure if no 1, or a keeper to challenge Mccarthy (who has now left)) but that has now died so could this be a lot of hot air ?

I have lost count of the amount of rumors in the last 18 months on Bentley and he is on the verge of leaving- and he is still here.

Come on, it's the sun, bound to be wrong

kingShrimper, you may well be right about the Sun as a source. Interestingly, Phil Brown did predict after Hull's first bid for Dan Bentley was turned down recently that their interest would not end there.

Just spoke with a friend of mine from Nottingham whose company sponsor Forest, he believes Forest are going to offer £1 million up front, £500K over 2 years, clauses included and Stephen McLaughlin. I also over head on the train this morning someone who believes Dan will sign a new contract so Southend can cash in massively after a good season in League 1. Either one I would be quite happy with.

does anyone understand the situation at QPR.
They sold their number 2 last week - he was highly rated but unhappy as he wasn't getting games . The fact he left could indicate that he believes Green isn't going anywhere. They also have three other keepers - although none are young .
I can't see anything recent linking Green to another club.

Originally Green was inked with Chelsea (hence QPR were looking for another keeper (unsure if no 1, or a keeper to challenge Mccarthy (who has now left)) but that has now died so could this be a lot of hot air ?

I have lost count of the amount of rumors in the last 18 months on Bentley and he is on the verge of leaving- and he is still here.

McCarthy is three years older than Bentley. Bents can sit on the bench learning from a quality keeper like Green for a year or two (not saying he should but he's young enough to do so). McCarthy is at an age where he needs to be playing.

The Sun are suggesting Hull will need to offer £2m to get Dan (as if it's the price we have set/are holding out for).
Whether they have inside info or are guessing who knows- we have either said no way are we selling or we have said/indicated that we won't entertain any approach below X (may Bruce offered £1m and we said not for sale and anyway you would be looking at twice that..)

Back