• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Running Thread

This would take place on Saturday 21st October, the morning of the Solihull Moors match. Either 10am or 11am. Anybody else fancy it?

Wouldn’t be looking at breaking any records, and we’d all do it together.
I'd love to do it, but I reckon I'll be lucky if I'm back to comfortably running much more than 10k by then. If you're happy for some to only do part of the distance, then I'm in (as long as I haven't put myself back on the injury table by then!).

Still doing my regular 5k trying to stay fit for the new stadium. Got a new Fitbit and whilst I'd always assumed my pace was the same , old man's slow, it actually breaks it down. Seem to be vast variations from a high of 3 mins 32 to 16 mins 50 which surprised me as I didn't stop as far as I can remember. However the overall breakdown in kilometres was between 5 40 and 5 50 and overall 5 51. Any advice from all you experienced runners

I'd love to do it, but I reckon I'll be lucky if I'm back to comfortably running much more than 10k by then. If you're happy for some to only do part of the distance, then I'm in (as long as I haven't put myself back on the injury table by then!).

I think that would be okay. I’ll speak to Rylee and see if that would be okay. If you’d like to DM me with your number, I can look to get a WhatsApp group set up 👌

I should be ok not fast runner compared to you Mike happy to plod around and watch you cheer me over the line
Will the club give me a medal at the finish 😂😂

That would be excellent. I won’t be doing this fast. We would do it together, and some with @Supernaut if he is able to as well. The more the merrier. Hopefully talking Southend United will make the time go quicker 🤞

Again, if you want to DM me your number, I’ll get a WhatsApp group set up.

I think that would be okay. I’ll speak to Rylee and see if that would be okay. If you’d like to DM me with your number, I can look to get a WhatsApp group set up 👌
Honestly, I reckon you'd get a lot more takers if you could choose to do 10k, 10m or half distance. Your call of course. Will DM you now...

BW so sorry 21/10 is my granddaughters birthday party in London so cannot make it , so sorry my daughter just realised as well as she was going to join us
Please accept my apologies for mucking you around

Just entered Southend 10 k on 1/10 any other Shrimpers running it
BW is the run still going on 21/10 around Roots Hall or could you change the date ?
Would love to have joined you but as above Gdaughter bday and I forgot Doh, if any other dates available please post on here would be good to run around the pitch with you

London Vitality a bit of a shambles approx 3500 runners didn’t get there numbers and had to queue up for 2 hours missing slots, roads had to be kept open for a further three hours
Got PB so very pleased and only missed my running time by five minutes, but felt for those good runners who had to start at back and run through slower runners
Plus the course was 300 metres longer so PB would have been better
Medal was very poor but plus side shirt very nice
Onwards to Southend 10 k Sunday

London Vitality a bit of a shambles approx 3500 runners didn’t get there numbers and had to queue up for 2 hours missing slots, roads had to be kept open for a further three hours
Got PB so very pleased and only missed my running time by five minutes, but felt for those good runners who had to start at back and run through slower runners
Plus the course was 300 metres longer so PB would have been better
Medal was very poor but plus side shirt very nice
Onwards to Southend 10 k Sunday
Sounds like a shambles .
Well done on PB. 300m out is pretty bad- but appreciate this has happened at international events.

Slightly off subject as not running but worth a read/ further google. How on earth could they have made such a mistake?

Last edited:
In fairness volunteers were superb on day just couldn’t cope with numbers not having numbers
I was lucky got mine in post and missed my wave by a few minutes, but I know some 45 mins 10 k runners were at back as their numbers not arrived and queue was just out of Green Park
Yes as you say it happens, didn’t spoil the day but I would imagine if my number hadn’t come through post I may have been a bit miffed😂

Just putting this out there as a potential idea but….

Today, I’ve spoke to Rylee about potential fundraising for the match for mind against Solihull Moors on the 21st October, and I asked about the possibility of doing a half marathon around the perimeter of the Roots Hall pitch, potentially the morning of the Solihull Moors game.

Would anyone else be up for it? I have asked if I would be able to do this, and Rylee seemed keen, then I’ve asked about the possibility of a few of us, but haven’t heard back.

Nothing is set in stone. But just to gauge potential numbers.
Is this still a goer? What time would it start?

My mate was training all year for Vitality aiming for 34 minutes…he got put into wave 10 due to the issues, he didn’t bother trying in the end

Anyone from here doing Southend 10k ?

My mate was training all year for Vitality aiming for 34 minutes…he got put into wave 10 due to the issues, he didn’t bother trying in the end

I will be marshalling, with my faithful dog, at the turn around point on the garrison park site.
I hope to recognise a few Shrimpers.

That is fast !
I couldn’t comprehend running at that speed, maybe for 500m- but that would be pushing it
Still trying to break 5 min/km on a regular basis ( only achieved it twice, once over 5k and once over 7 k)

I’m doing it. Done a 10k run on Monday 1hr 3 minutes. Will be trying to knock it down till under an hour on Sunday.,
I remember the1st Southend 10k in 86 sponsored by Kodak. ran it in 37 1/4 mins. Following year i started too fast ( easy to do! ) & finished in 38 mins.
Fast forward 37 years to now, i'd be happy to finish it in an hour!.
My advice to you is don't get carried away in the 1st 2k or it will bite you towards the end. I always found i ran faster in races than when training alone, hope you do on Sunday.

Back