• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

I know, mike was more than good, maybe the most complete player I’ve seen at The Hall, over the years.

If only we had another £500k to spend on a Marsh lookalike, anyway, back with Mantom. There is a small piece in the Echo today where Powell is saying that he has yet to look into whether Mantom will be able to extend his spell beyond the end of this season.

If only we had another £500k to spend on a Marsh lookalike, anyway, back with Mantom. There is a small piece in the Echo today where Powell is saying that he has yet to look into whether Mantom will be able to extend his spell beyond the end of this season.
500k in the 90’s the way transfers have gone, it would be like southend paying 10 million plus now..

500k in the 90’s the way transfers have gone, it would be like southend paying 10 million plus now..
Please don't regard this as a argue point but I think not, Prem and Chump price markers have certainly gone through not just the roof but the upper atmosphere: yet in the real Leagues the payment for players has decreased due to so many more short term contracts. Few clubs outside the Prem and those on "parachute" steroid payments pay big BIG fees anymore than we got for Len, Jack or Dan.

Agreed 'Massimo' but don't forget that Mike Marsh was signed when we were in The Championship (or it's equivalent then).

That said, I think £10m is a bit excessive, but I would say that signing his equivalent now would be around £1m, though I agree with the shorter term contracts, there are much less expensive deals around than even we had back in Marsh's day. Kites being a good case in point.

Agreed 'Massimo' but don't forget that Mike Marsh was signed when we were in The Championship (or it's equivalent then).

That said, I think £10m is a bit excessive, but I would say that signing his equivalent now would be around £1m, though I agree with the shorter term contracts, there are much less expensive deals around than even we had back in Marsh's day. Kites being a good case in point.

Using an online inflation "calculator" £500,000 in 1990 would be equivalent to £1,184,000 today.

Please don't regard this as a argue point but I think not, Prem and Chump price markers have certainly gone through not just the roof but the upper atmosphere: yet in the real Leagues the payment for players has decreased due to so many more short term contracts. Few clubs outside the Prem and those on "parachute" steroid payments pay big BIG fees anymore than we got for Len, Jack or Dan.

You make an excellent point about how transfer fees have diverged but we were a Championship club when we signed Marsh!

Using an online inflation "calculator" £500,000 in 1990 would be equivalent to £1,184,000 today.

Or alternatively £500,000 in 1995 when we actually signed him would be worth £913,804.83 in 2017 (latest BoE available figures).

You make an excellent point about how transfer fees have diverged but we were a Championship club when we signed Marsh!

Or alternatively £500,000 in 1995 when we actually signed him would be worth £913,804.83 in 2017 (latest BoE available figures).

you would never get a player of Mike Marsh quality for 1m... he was that good, we have never had a midfield player anywhere near as good (sorry to the younger fans who loved RL, but)

you would never get a player of Mike Marsh quality for 1m... he was that good, we have never had a midfield player anywhere near as good (sorry to the younger fans who loved RL, but)

Unless he was injured....

Just imagine a player with Mike Marsh's ability and a player with Ryan Leonard's athleticism and attitude. They'd solve our debt problems in no time.

Back