• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Is he likely to want to go up north? Or more likely to stay down south and go to Millwall where he would start every week ?

Sometimes a club can do a lot to make it easier, for example if he gets a sizeable signing fee, there's the deposit for a new house.

It wouldn't surprise me if a club of Sheffield United's size have someone [a PA to director or such] looking at homes for short-term rent or potential places for new players to buy in these cases.

If my wages were going to go from about £100k per year to around £250k per year, and I'd be tied in for around 3 years, I'd probably move 3 hours drive away.

Evening lads/lasses, Blade here in peace. Many of us were very impressed by Leonard and the prospect of him signing for us has generated a lot of chatter up this way.

My hunch tells me that he will end up at Millwall though which I think we can all agree would be a downer. Can't stand the buggers personally!

Anyway, good luck next season. It was a shame you didn't make the playoffs because I think you'd have walked them. Always enjoyed my trips away to RH as well. Nice down to Earth supporters who generally made us feel welcome. Instead we can look forward to Millwall, early kick offs and increased Police preference etc......joy

Evening lads/lasses, Blade here in peace. Many of us were very impressed by Leonard and the prospect of him signing for us has generated a lot of chatter up this way.

My hunch tells me that he will end up at Millwall though which I think we can all agree would be a downer. Can't stand the buggers personally!

Anyway, good luck next season. It was a shame you didn't make the playoffs because I think you'd have walked them. Always enjoyed my trips away to RH as well. Nice down to Earth supporters who generally made us feel welcome. Instead we can look forward to Millwall, early kick offs and increased Police preference etc......joy

Nice one, BBB. Couldn't make the trip to Bramall Lane from down here in West Cornwall for that midweek cracker up at yours last Autumn but thoroughly enjoyed my day out in Sheff the previous season. What goals we scored in that 2-2 cracker and no wonder you like Lenny, his goal was a beauty. That Tap place at the station is a bit useful, eh?

Exeter fans talking today about Ollie Watkins being lined up for £4 million. a 21 old year old in league 2.... !
Surely Lenny is worth a million on that basis.

Nice one, BBB. Couldn't make the trip to Bramall Lane from down here in West Cornwall for that midweek cracker up at yours last Autumn but thoroughly enjoyed my day out in Sheff the previous season. What goals we scored in that 2-2 cracker and no wonder you like Lenny, his goal was a beauty. That Tap place at the station is a bit useful, eh?

Ayup RN. Ah yes the Sheffield Tap, an absolute gem. Was originally an Edwardian restaurant and waiting area but it went into disrepair. To think that British Rail then boarded it all off in the 60s and left it to rot, only for it to be rediscovered recently and brought back to life. A fine little watering hole!

Lenny if you going to move and i wish you every success should you , pleaseeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee not to Millwall,Sheffield Utd would be such a upward move i would be very happy for you ,go to Millwall and im afraid this is one SUFC supporter that wouldnt be happy for you,cannot stand millwall sorry.

Lenny if you going to move and i wish you every success should you , pleaseeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee not to Millwall,Sheffield Utd would be such a upward move i would be very happy for you ,go to Millwall and im afraid this is one SUFC supporter that wouldnt be happy for you,cannot stand millwall sorry.

That gets a thumbs up from me. :smile:

Bitter sweet this for me.

For him, he deserves the step up, he's been a brilliant servant even though he is still only 25. The last 2 seasons he's just grown and grown with each and every game. He gives his all and feels every defeat like a fan I would say. He's strong, quick , does have the range of passing in his locker and if this is refined even further, he can go on and do great things. I hope one day, when's he achieved elsewhere what he deserves , that we may see him back here. Controlling the game in a blue shirt.

I will hugely miss his involvement at Southend , but for me he deserves all he can achieve , wherever that is.

Cheers Lenny, thanks for everything

Sheff Utd have apparently had a third bid accepted.

Had it confirmed that that is definitely not true. Yes of course they may come in with another offer today or tomorrow, but Ron Martin is doing everything to keep Lenny. It's going to take a very big offer they can't refuse.

Had it confirmed that that is definitely not true. Yes of course they may come in with another offer today or tomorrow, but Ron Martin is doing everything to keep Lenny. It's going to take a very big offer they can't refuse.

I can't imagine he would, but things could change if the player kicks up a fuss and says he wants to go.

At the end of the day, if we turn down all offers and then have a poor season next year then the same options might not be available to Lenny next summer. They are two very big ifs of course but naturally stuff he'd have to consider.

I think we should offer him a contract as the highest paid player and captain. He's been the real leader of the side for at least 2 seasons anyway. If he still wants to go after being offered that then at least we've done all we can.

I would offer him a one year extension with a big pay rise, and promotion increase and an agreeable buy out figure.

He is vital to the current team, and if we lose him, and if Ferdinand doesn't sign and with Ranger in prison until about October I think PB will have a huge rebuilding job.

Massive summer for the club, as it could be the difference between mid-table and scraping around the playoffs or serious pushing for automatics.

I know there aren't any odds out yet, but if we don't lose any players I would imagine we would be in the top 6 in the betting, probably behind Blackburn, Wigan, Bradford, Pompy with the likes of Scunny, Fleetwood and Doncaster.

Doesnt surprise me in the least- we know RM won't sell someone he wants to keep unless its a very good, premium offer. Of course all of this could easily draw a southern Championship club out and the fee could rises rapidly. Still think if he was to go to Sheffield U they would need to get it done quickly- instead it looks like they tried to get him the cheap and we know how that goes down with uncle Ron..

Looks like everybody is wanting him to go without thinking about how it affects the club, how things would have been different this year if Bentley and Payne didn't go. People need to be positive about the future and the need to keep good players, not wishing them all the luck for the future at the first hint of an offer.

Looks like everybody is wanting him to go without thinking about how it affects the club, how things would have been different this year if Bentley and Payne didn't go. People need to be positive about the future and the need to keep good players, not wishing them all the luck for the future at the first hint of an offer.

The Club did all they could to keep Payne and Bentley, but in today's game , more than ever, a "smaller" club can't compete with the clout of clubs larger than them ... I'm not a pessimist , I am a realistic fan and if Lenny wants to go, he goes and if this is the case Ron will do all he can to make sure it's not on the cheap.

Teams in the championship will turn heads. If he goes to a club below us, granted, you have a point, but this isn't the case and no way can any. Lame be laid at the clubs door in my eyes here

Last edited:

If Bentley and Payne didn't go I doubt we would have been able to afford Cox and Ferdinand, I expect we would have done worse than 7th if they'd stayed.

If Bentley and Payne didn't go I doubt we would have been able to afford Cox and Ferdinand, I expect we would have done worse than 7th if they'd stayed.

I agree. Payne is a good player but cannot see where he would have fitted in alongside Wordsworth, Macca, Cox and Ranger/Fortune. Overall our squad was better following the sale of these 2 players.

I am a great fan of Leonard but no player is irreplaceable and with the right transfers the squad can be strengthened.

I agree. Payne is a good player but cannot see where he would have fitted in alongside Wordsworth, Macca, Cox and Ranger/Fortune. Overall our squad was better following the sale of these 2 players.

I am a great fan of Leonard but no player is irreplaceable and with the right transfers the squad can be strengthened.

Very true. While Lenny will be a loss he is replaceable. We have lost better players in the past.

Back