• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Very true. While Lenny will be a loss he is replaceable. We have lost better players in the past.

I'm not so sure about that. I can't think of a better all round midfielder that we would've lost.
We would have to get very lucky in terms of any replacement even coming close to matching what Leonard does for the team.
It was only 18 months ago that people on here were saying that RL must be Phil's love child as they believed he should have been dropped.

I'm not so sure about that. I can't think of a better all round midfielder that we would've lost.
We would have to get very lucky in terms of any replacement even coming close to matching what Leonard does for the team.
It was only 18 months ago that people on here were saying that RL must be Phil's love child as they believed he should
have been dropped.

I agree to some extent but it's not necessarily only about like for like replacement.
Unfortunately we have to sell our best players to survive, but IF we can 'replace' Lenny with 2 or 3 decent signings
in other positions while also shifting a couple of fringe players from the wage bill, that is still good business and goes with the territory.

It was only 18 months ago that people on here were saying that RL must be Phil's love child as they believed he should have been dropped.

Yes I remember people mentioning the 'undroppable Lenny'.

He has been undroppable for about 4 seasons now. People who didn't see it 18 months ago didn't appreciate the defensive side of his game.

Two more clubs join race to sign Blues midfielder Leonard

BOLTON Wanderers and Millwall have joined Sheffield United in wanting to sign Blues midfielder Ryan Leonard.

More...

Can't understand why any of our players would want to play at a higher level and for greater renumeration (including 'sign on' fee)...............................

BOLTON Wanderers and Millwall have joined Sheffield United in wanting to sign Blues midfielder Ryan Leonard.

More...

Selling to Bolton would be a bitter pill to PB, considering who their manager is,

Selling to Millwall would seruously p*** most supporters off

So, if he has to go then Sheffield Utd - as it would be the least painful.

Selling to Bolton would be a bitter pill to PB, considering who their manager is,

Selling to Millwall would seruously p*** most supporters off

So, if he has to go then Sheffield Utd - as it would be the least painful.

He has to go to the team who offer us the best deal. If millwall offer £100k more than the others, that's an extra player for next season

Everyone is replaceable doesn't matter how good they are.

The distance a player moves, depends on the offer and whether it drives your career forward. Today Millwall have signed James Meredith from Bradford, so a move to London, but playing at a higher level, for Meredith, was obviously worth it. He is 29 compared to Lenny being 25. That is what might tell in our favour, as Lenny has time on his side to an extent. He could stay with us for the extended year, if we did manage promotion next season he could extend even further and prove himself in the Championship with us, which would be great. Or, knowing he is already be tracked at a higher level, if we don't go up, he is still likely to attract offers from that level, so could move on this time next year. The coup for us would be, if in the next twelve month's we could persuade him to sign a further contract with guarantees of a move to a higher level if we don't make it after a specified time. Probably long odds at the moment, but cannot be ruled out until other developments call the shots on that option. But if we could pull something off of that nature Ron and PB would get my admiration.

Supposedly we fave said we don't want to sell and any offer would need to be over £1.25m to be considered. If so absolutely correct. Already 3 championship clubs interested and hopefully we will offer Lenny a deal that is attractive enough to give us a year to get to the championship too- and image if the three that come back down as we go up up are the three in for Lenny now!

The Club did all they could to keep Payne and Bentley, but in today's game , more than ever, a "smaller" club can't compete with the clout of clubs larger than them ... I'm not a pessimist , I am a realistic fan and if Lenny wants to go, he goes and if this is the case Ron will do all he can to make sure it's not on the cheap.

Teams in the championship will turn heads. If he goes to a club below us, granted, you have a point, but this isn't the case and no way can any. Lame be laid at the clubs door in my eyes here

The crucial difference being they were out of contract and Lenny isnt

Bolton are under embargo and are being chased for unpaid debt. How are they managing a bid?

Last edited:
£700k is a rubbish offer if true. Promotion to the Championship is worth millions....if I was a betting man I would hold onto Lenny and give it one season of going for the Championship, if he goes for free at end of next season, so be it..of course if his head gets turned..let him go...waste of time holding on to a player who does t want to be here. Although think Lenny loves playing for us..

He will also have loads of options at the end of next season. The risk for a footballer however is bad injury/loss of form and a move that could set him up for life could be off the cards....

The distance a player moves, depends on the offer and whether it drives your career forward. Today Millwall have signed James Meredith from Bradford, so a move to London, but playing at a higher level, for Meredith, was obviously worth it. He is 29 compared to Lenny being 25. That is what might tell in our favour, as Lenny has time on his side to an extent. He could stay with us for the extended year, if we did manage promotion next season he could extend even further and prove himself in the Championship with us, which would be great. Or, knowing he is already be tracked at a higher level, if we don't go up, he is still likely to attract offers from that level, so could move on this time next year. The coup for us would be, if in the next twelve month's we could persuade him to sign a further contract with guarantees of a move to a higher level if we don't make it after a specified time. Probably long odds at the moment, but cannot be ruled out until other developments call the shots on that option. But if we could pull something off of that nature Ron and PB would get my admiration.

It also depends on where you're moving to. he's already spent over 6 years living relatively far away from his immediate family, and so moving up north may not be an issue to him that it would be to some on here. Plus Sheffield is a pretty nice place to live, something I can attest to.

It also depends on where you're moving to. he's already spent over 6 years living relatively far away from his immediate family, and so moving up north may not be an issue to him that it would be to some on here. Plus Sheffield is a pretty nice place to live, something I can attest to.

True but he is loved up and she might not fancy a move up north

Sheffield is nice enough but surely no one would choose it over the Essex Riviera? They don't even have a pier. Plus Reflex re-opens next week. Leonard would be foolish to walk away from that.

Back