• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Should Phil Brown Stay ?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Your knowledge of football is amazing, I'm surprised you're not working in the industry, but I can't think it'll be long before a club come knocking!!!

What is amazing

3 games ago 65% wanted Phil out,now 65% want him to remain.

Mooney isn't a target man....Phil signed him......When Mooney and Cox were paired it was obvious it ain't working.

Ranger's fitness is way off the pace to last 90......what happens when he is injured again?....sadly he will be injured because he isn't match fit.

Fortune will be ok for 45 minute cameos as he isn't match fit.

Cox is another one not match fit.

Phil signed them all!

I am thankful the team have collected 7 from 3 and hope it continues for as long as possible.

He also signed Wordsworth , Coker , Atkinson , McLaughlin, Ferdinand ...

You can't even enjoy 7 points in a week . You belittle and moan and talk as though you'd would have taken 9 points this week. I could easily put you on ignore , but I refuse , because I like to read your garbage and I also want to make sure that you continue to stay away from Roots hall.

I don't actually understand why you bother , you are never happy. You like things to go wrong to sit on your self made peddlestall and proclaim how different you would do it and then when it goes right , 7 points from 9, with 2 away games a, 1 being at Bradford , you still moan.

Don't "dear" me your response either ... either respond without being patronising or don't bother , but seriously you have to explain , clearly and concisely what you expect from a team like Southend and how you would get us there , with players that will always play 90 mins , never get injured and are wanted by every other single club in the world , scoring 5 goals a game and never conceding .... , because you appear to have the answers to all of these and yet all you are and continue to be an expert behind a keyboard ( with opinions on players that by your own admission you've eveither seen once / twice or not at all )

He also signed Wordsworth , Coker , Atkinson , McLaughlin, Ferdinand ...

You can't even enjoy 7 points in a week . You belittle and moan and talk as though you'd would have taken 9 points this week. I could easily put you on ignore , but I refuse , because I like to read your garbage and I also want to make sure that you continue to stay away from Roots hall.

I don't actually understand why you bother , you are never happy. You like things to go wrong to sit on your self made peddlestall and proclaim how different you would do it and then when it goes right , 7 points from 9, with 2 away games a, 1 being at Bradford , you still moan.

Don't "dear" me your response either ... either respond without being patronising or don't bother , but seriously you have to explain , clearly and concisely what you expect from a team like Southend and how you would get us there , with players that will always play 90 mins , never get injured and are wanted by every other single club in the world , scoring 5 goals a game and never conceding .... , because you appear to have the answers to all of these and yet all you are and continue to be an expert behind a keyboard ( with opinions on players that by your own admission you've eveither seen once / twice or not at all )

We are SUFC ,

The club will yo yo from one division to another,we will alway's sell our best players.......I can accept that .

What I cannot accept is drab football month in month out,how many times have you left the ground and thought that was shocking,we ain't playing top teams yet we have played appalling football in the hope of nicking the points.

Fans can vote with their feet or attend,it's their choice,we have fans who attend every game and I applaud them,that is their choice and I would never diss them,likewise if fans stay away I hope the stayawys would be afforded the same feelings as its their choice.

Why are you hellbent on keeping me from RH,you need help chap.

We are SUFC ,

The club will yo yo from one division to another,we will alway's sell our best players.......I can accept that .

What I cannot accept is drab football month in month out,how many times have you left the ground and thought that was shocking,we ain't playing top teams yet we have played appalling football in the hope of nicking the points.

Fans can vote with their feet or attend,it's their choice,we have fans who attend every game and I applaud them,that is their choice and I would never diss them,likewise if fans stay away I hope the stayawys would be afforded the same feelings as its their choice.

Why are you hellbent on keeping me from RH,you need help chap.
We've already played the current top 4 away. Only lost 1 of those games.

Firstly, got to disagree with the people suggesting "he couldn't play 4-4-2 with the personnel he had". Sorry, calling bollocks on that one. Fit the system to the players you have. 2 strikers on the pitch means we should have a better chance of scoring goals. He had 2 strikers, so 4-4-2 was definitely not out of the question. If both strikers are poachers/one of them not a target man, then guess what? You alter how we play. Stop lumping it upfield to a non-existent target man and switch our approach play around. Surely not that difficult?

More importantly - a great 7 points out of 9 and by all accounts a brilliant performance at MK Dons. Not just the results though is it? It's the way they're playing. A load more attacking freedom and verve all of a sudden. Not sure why the sudden change - either a bit of player power; or chairman power (I know RM told Sturrock to get us playing more "entertaining" football so not impossible that he's done similar here); or Phil has had an epiphany/vision during the night which has made him see the error of his ways.

Either way, the new attacking freedom is unshackling players and the team is finally realising its attacking potential - I've wanted to see that for God knows how long. Look what happens when you give Anthony Wordsworth more freedom to get forward and support the attack rather than telling him to sit deep - he scores goals, who would have thought ay? If the results AND performances stay like they were yesterday then he'll have my support for as long. If it goes back to how it was up to and including Chesterfield (which was also a poor performance in my eyes) then he'll lose it again.

As many have said though, 3 games is 3 games. Let's see what the next 3-5 bring. the last 3 games, especially considering the Chesterfield performance was so laboured, does not mean he's definitely turned it around. It takes more than 3 games to undo the appalling job he's done since January. If he turns it around then great.

I guarantee that even if we win the league with Brown as our Manager then gain promotion to the Premiership certain fans would still want him out! Sorry Sean you must be gutted tonight I bet you were hovering over that keyboard waiting for us to fail.

Sorry if that came over a bit strong. But we are not discussing the MK game. Yesterday's effort was superb, a 3 nil away win is always a great result and well done Phil. Like i say, one or two games wont turn my thoughts around after three wins out of 24 was it? We've suffered some right dross since he's been here. I vow to applaud him when we next get injuries and he is still pulling out wins, promise ;)

Firstly, got to disagree with the people suggesting "he couldn't play 4-4-2 with the personnel he had". Sorry, calling bollocks on that one. Fit the system to the players you have. 2 strikers on the pitch means we should have a better chance of scoring goals. He had 2 strikers, so 4-4-2 was definitely not out of the question. If both strikers are poachers/one of them not a target man, then guess what? You alter how we play. Stop lumping it upfield to a non-existent target man and switch our approach play around. Surely not that difficult?

More importantly - a great 7 points out of 9 and by all accounts a brilliant performance at MK Dons. Not just the results though is it? It's the way they're playing. A load more attacking freedom and verve all of a sudden. Not sure why the sudden change - either a bit of player power; or chairman power (I know RM told Sturrock to get us playing more "entertaining" football so not impossible that he's done similar here); or Phil has had an epiphany/vision during the night which has made him see the error of his ways.

Either way, the new attacking freedom is unshackling players and the team is finally realising its attacking potential - I've wanted to see that for God knows how long. Look what happens when you give Anthony Wordsworth more freedom to get forward and support the attack rather than telling him to sit deep - he scores goals, who would have thought ay? If the results AND performances stay like they were yesterday then he'll have my support for as long. If it goes back to how it was up to and including Chesterfield (which was also a poor performance in my eyes) then he'll lose it again.

As many have said though, 3 games is 3 games. Let's see what the next 3-5 bring. the last 3 games, especially considering the Chesterfield performance was so laboured, does not mean he's definitely turned it around. It takes more than 3 games to undo the appalling job he's done since January. If he turns it around then great.

You can call it what you like, but it didn't work because the ball never stayed forward and we couldn't defend for toffee; hence the change to plan B.

Once we got the key players in, 4-4-2 now works; my only concern would be what happens if we get injuries, but I'll worry about that when it happens!!

Sorry if that came over a bit strong. But we are not discussing the MK game. Yesterday's effort was superb, a 3 nil away win is always a great result and well done Phil. Like i say, one or two games wont turn my thoughts around after three wins out of 24 was it? We've suffered some right dross since he's been here. I vow to applaud him when we next get injuries and he is still pulling out wins, promise ;)

So beating MK Dons 3-0 away with a near full strength squad is nothing to be proud of. Only if we have 3 or 4 out with injury will you applaud.

I'm reluctant to say Brown in, mainly because 2016 has been an abomination, and that the next time we go on a bad run I have every confidence he will make it infinitely worse as he always does with his poor man management and constant chopping and changing. But fair play to him, the last week has definitely seen a shift, confidence is returning and it's not the time to change the manager now, with any luck we can keep the good run going for a few more games. If we play like we did yesterday most weeks, we should stay up comfortably.

However, we will go on a poor run again and for me that is where Brown is at his most destructive. Let's not get too carried away with a few decent results - this calendar year has been pretty dire.

I love the way everyone gets obsessed with formations. The game of football is about players, always has always will be.

The reason 4-4-2 worked yesterday was because you witnessed two of the best first touch and finishes you are likely to see all season. By that I mean from goals we score and concede.

Mooney isn't a target man....Phil signed him......When Mooney and Cox were paired it was obvious it ain't working.

Ranger's fitness is way off the pace to last 90......what happens when he is injured again?....sadly he will be injured because he isn't match fit.

Fortune will be ok for 45 minute cameos as he isn't match fit.

Cox is another one not match fit.

Phil signed them all!

I am thankful the team have collected 7 from 3 and hope it continues for as long as possible.

So Cox who played 3 games in a week isn't match fit? Interesting.

Never like to do direct attacks on people like Ri**** does, but so many brown outs before and for a lot of reasons, not just our poor form, loads and loads of reasons, the majority wanted him out, a few wins and he is the main man? Come on..

But is Adam out of favour because he spoke up!!? (and it worked) it's happened before hasn't it.:whistling:

Personally I think PB was in last chance saloon last home game, went for it and stumbled onto this new line up and tactics out of desperation.

One of the main reasons people wanted "Brown Out", was that we'd appeared to have lost our cohesion, the better players weren't functioning or being picked in Cox case and we'd been over-run by sides, playing a disjointed system. PB didn't appear to know what to do to reverse this.

Since then, a system change and a fit Ranger has changed results, though our home form was OK anyway.

I think there's a percentage that had lost faith in PB and our style of football, but have changed their views, because the style of football has changed.

I was one who wanted to give him time to let his key players have a run of games, but also believed we weren't getting the best out of our squad, so was happy to believe in him, if he believed in being more on the front foot with selection and approach to games.

Something had to change and thankfully it was the style and results and not the manager.

I'm glad Ron is the chairman and not some posters on here who would have us changing managers every other week, Some teams try that and it doesnt work. We are Southend, its a tough ride we all know that. Just enjoy a win and have a good drink after a loose. Be honest with yourelves. League 1 at this moment in time is a good level for us. We will have runs of wins and when we do I say rejoice at that news.

Back