• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

So why did you start supporting the Shrimpers?

So why did you start supporting the Shrimpers? - But why?

• Parent(s)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Friends

• Nearest Club around

• Supported someone else till i saw SUFC

• Something to do

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • supported orient/Col ewe but they were pants

• Other..

• Total voters
Couldn't resist a reply to this one!

My Dad took me regularly from aged 8 ; Home 2-0 win over Doncaster Rovers.Gary Moore and Dave Chambers both scored on their team debuts.November ' 68

We lived off of Fairfax Drive in those days.

First EVER game was a 2-0 away defeat at The Den in '66 ( a most intelligent considered venue for a 6 year old Dad!)
I could see nothing thru' a forest of legs and was utterly bored

Aged about 9 and living in Billericay my little brother and I regularly pesterd my dad to take us to a proper football match (woodford town in the met league didn't really count despite Dad being the "spongeman")

So it was either up to town or down to the sea, but as he worked saturday mornings, it was Friday nights at RH which swung it.
I can remember it was a 1-1 Draw, Aldershot, Friday in 1967

and IIRC it Rained

Rob Montiers site provided further info October 27th Phil Chisnall scored and there was of 12,000 there.
I was hooked, I don't remember how many gams I saw that season but I kept pestering dad to make the drive down.

My first game was in 1962/63, my Grandad used to take me as he lived close by the ground. We beat Reading, remember Micky Beesley scoring and i was hooked. We finished 8th in Div 3 that season, and until Webby took us into Div 2 in 1991 I never saw them finish higher in the league.

1999 when i first starting to support Southend can't remember who it was against me grandad took me, didn't go to another game untill last season, still kept me eye out on tv for the scores, mum and dad aren't football fans so never got another chance to go. Grandad died shortly after that game
sad.gif

First game back was against Swindon when we one 2-0 in the LDV

[b said:
Quote[/b] (SuperShrimper @ Nov. 16 2005,14:17)]Dad took me from year nought and never looked back.
Same here, at the age of six months i was fed up being baby sat at tottenham hotspur by Paul Gascoigne. (no joke)
my father converted me to the blues.. since then i have seen over 360 games, and have done 70 odd of the 92 league grounds
smile.gif

Probably something to do with my first game involving a 5-3 win over Bournemouth!
biggrin.gif
laugh.gif

Dad took me & me bruv (4thman for those who dont know) we saw southend draw 2-2 aginst tranmere on a cold wet friday night in the north bank and I was hooked

Angell Delight is to blame for my support. 2-1 win (or was it 2-0) over Brighton in the first game of 2000-2001. Next home game was Darlington and we lost 2-0, i turned to AD and said i'm never coming back after this sh!te. But i did and have been ever since!

Back