• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

So why did you start supporting the Shrimpers?

So why did you start supporting the Shrimpers? - But why?

• Parent(s)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Friends

• Nearest Club around

• Supported someone else till i saw SUFC

• Something to do

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • supported orient/Col ewe but they were pants

• Other..

• Total voters
My dad took me to my first game - us V Wolves and ricky Otto scored - been in love ever since. Even in the dark ages!

my dad took me and my older brother to Roots Hall in 1986, i was 7 at the time and was hooked from day one.

It was an FA Cup 1st Round tie vs Halesowen Town and we won 4-1.

Next year is my 20th year supporting the Shrimpers, seen many ups and downs in that time, seen us at 65-odd away grounds.

Couldn't imagine life without SUFC.

My first game was Sheff Utd at home, April 1984. We lost 1-0 to a last minute counter-attack, we got relegated but have never looked back, through two lots of dark ages.

First away game I think was Ipswich in the league cup around 1988, when Paul Clark deflected a freekick over our keeper for their winner.

It all started because of Dad. He has a lot to answer for, but seeing him cry at Milstad when we got promoted was special. You can't decribe moments like that.

Parents took me when i was about 4/5 and have sinces then.

First game I can properly remember was Vs Rochdale. Was sat in the north and we drew 1-1 with Maher scoring. I also remember a Coca Cola Cup game Vs Fulham, was in South Upper we lost 3-2 and Beard got sent off.

Mum and Dad just told me they took me to THAT Bury game...i was 3 awww

Overseas Shrimper made me do it!

When we slumped, he buggered off to Malta and left me to support in his stead.
Hated him throughout that period, but "ba-da-da-da-daaaa.... I'm lovin' it" right now!!

My dad took me to the hall back in 1974 aged 7 (that's me aged 7,not dad), stood at the back of the old south bank in front of the 'dolmans' advertising boarding, near the old clock and scoreboard......do you remember that??? Happy Days!!!

Moved from Herts to Essex, lived in Leigh and went to an LDV game one night, went to every home game after that until 2003 when i moved to Oz.
Hooked on the Shrimpers now, even my mum keeps an eye on them.

My Big Bruv used to take me, when he was 18 ish and I was 9. He was a regular, lots of away games, but he doestn't go that often now 'cos he is an old git. When I come down I always try and take him to repay him for all the times he took me. Last game I took him to was "Swansea, the Debut of Fredy". It made my day even better to see him leaping up and down just like old times.

smile.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (old leigh shrimper @ Nov. 17 2005,00:28)]My dad took me to the hall back in 1974 aged 7 (that's me aged 7,not dad), stood at the back of the old south bank in front of the 'dolmans' advertising boarding, near the old clock and scoreboard......do you remember that??? Happy Days!!!
I do. I also remember the old St Johns Ambulance caravan at the back of the stand. It got progressively worse each season, but never got moved or replaced. I reckon that anyone taken in there would have come out worse than they were when they went in!

I am really envious of all the people that remember their first match as I can't. According to my dad I was about 2 years old and so small he had to carry me over the turnstiles as I couldn't move them! I simply have no recollection of it.

My earliest memory was of Neil Townsend (playing right back I think) hitting a long ball forward from just outside the area in front of the North Bank, and the North end of the West Stand. It went over everyone's heads, bounced over the 'keeper and in to the net. I have no idea if I have the right player, or who it was against.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (londonblue @ Nov. 17 2005,09:00)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (old leigh shrimper @ Nov. 17 2005,00:28)]My dad took me to the hall back in 1974 aged 7 (that's me aged 7,not dad), stood at the back of the old south bank in front of the 'dolmans' advertising boarding, near the old clock and scoreboard......do you remember that??? Happy Days!!!
I do. I also remember the old St Johns Ambulance caravan at the back of the stand. It got progressively worse each season, but never got moved or replaced. I reckon that anyone taken in there would have come out worse than they were when they went in!

I am really envious of all the people that remember their first match as I can't. According to my dad I was about 2 years old and so small he had to carry me over the turnstiles as I couldn't move them! I simply have no recollection of it.

My earliest memory was of Neil Townsend (playing right back I think) hitting a long ball forward from just outside the area in front of the North Bank, and the North end of the West Stand. It went over everyone's heads, bounced over the 'keeper and in to the net. I have no idea if I have the right player, or who it was against.
I remeber the Neil Townsend goal, I was at the front of the South Bank so will look it up, it may have been Workington, 2-0, around 1977?

My parents always hated football so I never went when I was really young. My next-door neighbour however had a box at Highbury for his company and used to take me when there was a spare space, but I never really felt I belonged as an Arsenal fan.
Then I tagged along to the Hall when one of my mates invited me to go, and I've never looked back...
biggrin.gif

My Dad was from Yorkshire so we supported Leeds on TV in the early 70s, but after much nagging he took me to the Hall in September 1972, Notts County 2-1 win, we sat in the benches in the East Stand, I thought it was fantastic,the noise ,the smell ,etc and was hooked. I wa horrified that we left 5 minutes early and walking down Victoria Avenue worried that we would not find out the score.

My attendance for the next five years was sporadic but I treasured those games.I also tried out all parts of the ground until I found my final resting place.

Bit of gloryhunting from me... started getting very interested in football aged about 16, wondered about going to see my local side (Southend), saw they were doing really well, went to watch them, went to the North Bank... was hooked.

Still here 14 years later...!

smile.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Matt the Shrimp @ Nov. 17 2005,10:17)]Bit of gloryhunting from me... started getting very interested in football aged about 16, wondered about going to see my local side (Southend), saw they were doing really well, went to watch them, went to the North Bank... was hooked.

Still here 14 years later...!

smile.gif
And things have only just started to get better!

First went to the Hall in the 80s with my Dad when I was a wee lad (stood on the North Bank, think we were playing Peterborough). Dad's a Chelsea fan though so I don't think he ever took me again but I always followed Southend's fortunes closely as they were my closest league team. Next went to a few games in the mid-90s when a friend of mine was getting complimentaries from Andy Ansah. I think that - strangely - I have Norwich City to thank for turning me into a fully fledged Shrimper though. When I finally had a job that didn't involve working Saturdays I started going to Norwich matches with my brother (a die-hard Canary). I got hooked on the atmosphere but missed the feeling of really caring about the results. This coincided with Tilson taking over at Southend (where I lived by that time) so I made a personal vow to make the big effort to go to more Southend games - I never looked back and I'm now a seaso.

Although I hail from three generations of West Ham United fans, Southend United were the first team I ever saw play in the flesh back in 1976 (v Workington; we won 2-0) and I was hooked. (Actually the first team I saw play was England against Poland in 1973 but I don't suppose that counts in terms of fervent league support!) I missed very few home games between then and 2003 when I moved out here to Spain ...

WS

Back