• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

SoL SPORTS SPECIAL, Live from Maldon's Park Drive

Quick summing up, Black class act and will score goals and create a damn site more than JCR. Macdonald, very industrious, holds it up well and always looking to pounce, Bailey, nutter not as good as what we have let go and the tall new defender reminds me of Morley, good in parts and terrible in others, not great in the air either. Finally if Flavs had of got beaten for the 3rd you would all have been calling for Collis, better than Bart and a decent no.2 but forget the first team call up!

Bailey was fantastic, he gets everywhere, what is wrong with the odd strong challenge??!?!?!? Someone had to get stuck in like the whole Maldon lot were.

Blacks goals did look very good, but we have no idea what he will be able to create better or worse than JCR untill we have seen him in the league.

As for Flavs, we know you adore him, but some of the goals he has conceeded this preseason have made him look like a complete joke!!

Finally if Flavs had of got beaten for the 3rd you would all have been calling for Collis, better than Bart and a decent no.2 but forget the first team call up!

And the first goal which went through his legs! Collis kicking, especially his left foot is not as good as Flahavens either.

just got in from hockey and so i've missed it all. sounded like an exciting game and i wouldn't take too much from it. that was our 2nd string defence out there (fortunately) and lets not forget that hunt has had a knock, zoli has only just joined and is apparently well low on fitness.. che hardly played last season and we had 2 youth teamers so im not suprised we conceded a couple. when you play small teams like maldon they are well up for it and there is a danger of throwing too much into it. we have 9 pre-season friendlies which is a lot and with a squad of about 20 we need to make sure we rotate the teams and take it fairly easy to begin with. don't worry lads, i'm sure tilly is working hard with teh boys and the main thing is fitness (especially for players like zoli, paynter and foran) and so give the guys a break and lets not forget that there were barely any 'established' players on the pitch today to sort it out!

Cant agree more. People are taking small points from these games far too seriously. Although its always good to win games these friendlys count for nothing when the game kicks off against Orient on the 11th.

ps Who remembers Neil Tolson scoring that hatrick against Palace in a pre season game.......sums it all up!

Sounds like I missed an exciting game there.
Some people are reading far too much into these friendlies, the time to start worrying is if we're playing like that in the league...!

Quick summing up, Black class act and will score goals and create a damn site more than JCR.

Possibly.

However you seem to be comparing JCR's performance against Championship sides with Blacks performance against a bunch of postmen.

Not quite the same...

This thread is funny reading back, people complaining about our defence and how we need defenders when none of our 1st team are playing.

Lets get some perspective eh, its a pre-season warm up to give some of the fringe players a chance to shine.

So much negativity and the season hasnt even started. God forbid we go 1-0 down first game of the season....

Last edited:
The only thing I would say re the defence is look how we defended against Luton (who fielded a virtual reserve side). We were taken to pieces. When you dont have a goalie or centre back in your team over 6 ft you will struggle to keep clean sheets be it against Maldon or Chelsea.

As we have only let Sodje and Lawson go, and neither of them were midfielders, that doesn't sound too good....

I think Wiggster was referring to her darling, Jay Smith. That said, given Wiggy's proclivity towards the vertically-challenged members of the squad (Jay Smith, Darryl), I am a little concerned at her withering assessment of JCR!

Yours, in confusion,

Matt

Sorry I was talking about the forthcoming season, I doubt either of them will be in the starting XI for the Orient game.

Probably not, but my point is we had two six footers last night and conceded 3.

I think theres too much emphasis on the size of our defence at the moment. Obviously its a factor but Flahavan and Barrett havent got any shorter than when we won two promotions, all we have lost really is a few inches from Sodje/Prior to Clarke.

It has to remembered our defensive record last year wasnt due to being too short, but being not good enough against far better teams.

Whilst we really could do with a taller centre back in the first team the bigger factor that should lead to a better defensive record is the opposition being weaker....

Cant agree more. People are taking small points from these games far too seriously. Although its always good to win games these friendlys count for nothing when the game kicks off against Orient on the 11th.

ps Who remembers Neil Tolson scoring that hatrick against Palace in a pre season game.......sums it all up!

Agreed.

Gillingham tried to pull out all the stops to sign Michael Husbands after he had a blinder but we got him.

Nothing that happens in friendlies will happen in real matches.

Why is everyone getting so upset about it? Will Curbishley be really upset that his team have lost one? I sincerely doubt it.

did anyone notice how many foul throws maldon got away with last night? Their left back didn't have two hands on the ball once!!:hilarious:

Back