• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Which bit the Eastwood bit ? That came from inside the club.

Indeed, if it was shrewd planning on Rons part he is going a funny way about it. 10 years of losing money doesnt sound like sound business sense to me.

What money has Ron lost then ?

On the contrary Mick,

Ron charges a consultancy fee each season,so around 70k for doing nowt,not to shabby !

He has around 120,000 customers every year which most shops would dream of,think about the amount of booze sold with a nice mark up ,what about the food served up.

Ron can wait and wait as he is losing no sleep.

Most shops dont have to pay staff a thousand pounds a week and can stay open every day and not just 23 Saturdays a year.

What money has Ron lost then ?

Check the accounts.

He personally has had to remortgage his house as well.

tuUGt6U.jpg

On the contrary Mick,

Ron charges a consultancy fee each season,so around 70k for doing nowt,not to shabby !

He has around 120,000 customers every year which most shops would dream of,think about the amount of booze sold with a nice mark up ,what about the food served up.

I'm not suggesting he is living in penury or even in an uncomfortable situation. Far from it.

I'm really taking issue with the "I think he is an extremely shrewd and astute businessman" bit."

I think there's a world of difference between that and a "chancer" who is good at ducking and diving.

Using your mathematics the owner of, say, a convenience store which has one customer every couple of minutes would have a similar number of customers a year. Does that mean he would be equipped to mastermind and obtain funding for a huge multi-million pound stadium development.

I've felt he was out of his depth, but thrown a Sainsbury's lifeline. That seems no longer available. What next ?

On the contrary Mick,

He has around 120,000 customers every year which most shops would dream of
,think about the amount of booze sold with a nice mark up ,what about the food served up.

Yes but as you have already pointed out Noel Hunt costs far more than someone who works for sports direct.

I'm not suggesting he is living in penury or even in an uncomfortable situation. Far from it.

I'm really taking issue with the "I think he is an extremely shrewd and astute businessman" bit."

I think there's a world of difference between that and a "chancer" who is good at ducking and diving.

Using your mathematics the owner of, say, a convenience store which has one customer every couple of minutes would have a similar number of customers a year. Does that mean he would be equipped to mastermind and obtain funding for a huge multi-million pound stadium development.

I've felt he was out of his depth, but thrown a Sainsbury's lifeline. That seems no longer available. What next ?

The difference is the shopkeeper might clear 50k for doing all hours,Ron probably trebles or better that for doing nothing!

Ron has a home worth 2 million maybe more?,he drives a 100k motor with other cars parked up the drive.
Ron owns RH which if it was to become building land then the sky is the limit.
Ron will own the new stadium,he could do whatever he chose with rent and other add ons.

He ain't doing to bad is he?

The difference is the shopkeeper might clear 50k for doing all hours,Ron probably trebles or better that for doing nothing!

Ron has a home worth 2 million maybe more?,he drives a 100k motor with other cars parked up the drive.
Ron will own the new stadium,he could do whatever he chose with rent and other add ons.

...he could also have a £2m mortgage, £100k car finance package + others, the land can't be built on unless SUFC has a new stadium, and he hasn't demonstrated the new stadium is being built any time soon :blush:

I think someone knows a little too much about Ron! :blush:

I cant wait for mrsblue's forensic invedtigation of the next set of accounts.

Ps i tend to believe Ron is a mixture of incompetent/unlucky. If you really want to dig into the affairs of the various internecine corporate affairs, good luck. They end in the British Virgin Islands somewhere.

Benfleet Road had such names as Hughy Green and McDonald Hobley.

Font of knowledge I am :winking:

Very tasty expensive area at the Essex Way peak.

Who???

I think he probably pays himself quite handsomely for his 'services to the Blues'.

For me, two quotes from that make interesting reading:

Talks were scheduled for June, but ended up being shelved after the club failed to provide the necessary documentation in time for the debate.

Well, there's a surprise. RM missed a deadline! No wonder us shareholders didn't get the update we were promised at the AGM.

Neil Bates, principal and chief executive of Prospects, said: “We would need assurances Mr Martin has the capacity and funds to buy our site and that the purchase price is in line with previous agreements. If he can do that, then yes, the site is still up for sale, but it is up for sale to whoever wants to buy it.”

So, for all his bluster, NB still hasn't sold to anyone else, and still will sell to SUFC, even though he was quoted as saying he wouldn't.

So what happened to Prospects selling to Aldi or Lidl or whoever it was? A few months ago that was being spouted as more or less a done deal. No mention of it now. Just scaremongering by Prospects?

So what happened to Prospects selling to Aldi or Lidl or whoever it was? A few months ago that was being spouted as more or less a done deal. No mention of it now. Just scaremongering by Prospects?

That fell through because of the impending CPO. As I stated at the time, no-one in their right mind would buy a site that they may spend money developing and then be forced to sell.

It'll be interesting, however, what happens if the council decide against renewing their support for a CPO at their meeting.

I don't know, but CPO's must take many years to obtain. Surely, you can't just make somebody sell their business to you, just because you want to build on the land next door, without a long drawn out legal battle.

I don't know, but CPO's must take many years to obtain. Surely, you can't just make somebody sell their business to you, just because you want to build on the land next door.

That's exactly what a CPO does, but (I assume) there has to be plenty of justification...

Back