• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

The point I highlighted has the potential to ring true

I fear you could both be right. We clearly lost our momentum by not playing last weekend. Chris Powell and probably Ron Martin too should have been in our dressing room before the match telling the players of the hard work and determination of the staff and the many fans who came in early on the morning to clear the pitch and should have laid it on very, very clearly that they were expecting a strong and vigorous performance from the team in tribute to the fans and staff. Maybe they did so. Or maybe they thought it was obvious. They certainly needed to do it again at half-time because it seemed clear by then that many in our team didn't really want to be out there in the cold. So was their performance over the previous five matches just a flash in the pan for the reason Rigsby stated? I sincerely hope not, but I must say that I'm most disappointed by the poor effort shown yesterday.

Also, why can't Norman Wabo get on the subs bench....? He was very good in his brief sub appearances earlier this year and would do a better job than one or two of those ahead of him in the pecking order.

We only conceded 6 fouls the whole game ( must be a record) - one of which lead to the second goal and one of which nearly led to an identical goal. They only conceded 8 - the game was so end of season with no one getting stuck in, no urgency. No wonder the ref looked good. Having said that we only conceded 8 fouls against both Wigan and Portsmouth.

I thought we edged an uninspiring first half and the first 5 minutes of the second half looked hopeful but once we conceded we were clueless as they were very good at getting everyone back behind the ball, winning it back and giving it to Oztumer who would run at our statues.

Last year Lenny sorted Oztumer with a crunching tackle in the first 5 minutes.

As other have said, Lapado, 25, looks way out of his depth the timing of his jumps is woeful and has little strength. He probably needs a few more games just to make sure we don't want him as I don't think Fortune will be retained for next season.

Depressingly (for football in general) the highly rated Harrison, who is 21 in July looked pretty much out of his depth in the man's game and should have put away that gilt edged chance. He seems a bit like our last Spurs loanee the then highly rated Shaq Coulthirst. Mind you their 20 year loanee, Ngoy, looked reasonable as did the Shrewsbury loanee Carlton Morris.

Football needs to bring back proper reserve football, get rid of 7 on the bench - back to 3 plus a keeper- and let the boys learn with the men in proper football.

You are right about their striker Julian Ngoy, on loan from Stoke. As good a forward as I have seen all season, hopefully Chris will be able to sign someone similar on loan from a Premiership club.

Who were they then?

From Facebook:

Lovely to re-unite 1960's Shrimpers David Allaway and Frank Mathews today 51 years since they last played together in a Blues shirt.

28471672_410896649332970_4397822745643776472_n.jpg

A curry, a few dozen pints and a sleep later and I’m still really ****ed off with that performance from Freddie Ladapo. The difference between him and the lad they had up front was easy for all to see. I think I’m right in saying that SCP said when he came that he had “17 games to earn himself a deal for next season”.. well so far he probably hasn’t done enough to convince even teams in legate two to give him a contract.

From Facebook:

Lovely to re-unite 1960's Shrimpers David Allaway and Frank Mathews today 51 years since they last played together in a Blues shirt.

28471672_410896649332970_4397822745643776472_n.jpg
I was lucky enough to know Frank very well back in the dark ages due to my job, lost track of him so lovely to see him looking well, thanks for that.

..... and Terry Bradbury in the season after he left us.

Hazy recollection of a Dave Allaway. A tall fair-haired player who I believe played for Old Southendians? Is that right, Paul ?
Yes!Not that tall and ginger/fair hair.
I hadn’t realised he’d ever trialled for the res -I’ll be looking through my prog collection now-but I’m not surprised,as he scored literally hundreds of goals for the Old Boys Borough Comb Prem team. Cf Paul Benson at White Ensign.

Well, yesterday wasn't what we hoped for, or expected after the super effort made by the club and the volunteers who came down to clear the pitch and get the game on. Bravo all :clap:

It was an awful result, not a great game, and not one of our better performances. But with the state the pitch was in, and it was bad before anyway, it was pretty inevitable that there wouldn't be much in the way of creative football going on regardless. I think we were a bit caught out, possibly guilty of assuming Walsall would be an easy 3 points and we were basically outplayed on the day. Our biggest mistake was allowing Oztumer any sniff of the ball at all - he was without doubt the best player on the pitch yesterday. I think the first was a little unlucky for Oxley, on that potato patch the ball could end up anywhere and it would have been like trying to catch a bar of soap! The second was well worked by them, Ox possibly could have been standing somewhere else and Timlin may have inadvertently not helped - but I think the timing was awful as SCP already had Fortune and Kightly on the touch line for the substitutions. Had that not gone in and it had stayed 1-0 at that point I think we would have been looking at a very different result. At 2-0 the game was all but lost anyway, not that it is an excuse, but I think we need to draw a line and look forward to next week.

not going to do ratings, because I don't think there is much point after a defeat like that. That said, I don't think anyone was completely terrible (noting that Lapodo unfairly appears to be the upcoming scapegoat), which is unfair because he wasn't doing anything that was worse than anyone else. No one had a complete howler, but there were no real stand out performances either. We just looked rusty and slightly off the pace. I think we lost the game in midfield - Tims and Yearwood weren't running the show as they had in previous games and we alllowed them in and this let Oztumer run riot.

SCP has now seen us at our worst, so he will no doubt be unhappy about the game but at least he can see first hand what he needs to change.

Oxley - actually didn't have much to do, apart from the obvious.
Demetriou - made some nice runs, and did a fair about of tracking back.
Turner - experience showed yesterday
Anton - thought he did okay to be fair. Lack of speed didn't help him, but consistently in the right place and won most headers.
Coker - not at his best, looked okay coming forward but off the pace defensively
Yearwood - Jekyll and Hyde, flashes of real skill, and some awful touches, inexperience showing
Timlin - didn't rev up the midfield as much as usual. Right decision to substitute him.
McLaughlin - pick of the midfield
Harrison - should have buried that first chance. Not his greatest performance, his chance will come.
Coxy - my MOM. Remained committed from start to finish.
Lapodo - ineffective

Subs -
Wordy - good to see him back, probably wouldn't have lasted a full game
Kightly - picked up where he left off. Looked really good.
Fortune - just pure class! Really wish he were 5 years younger!!

David Allaway played twice for the reserves in 1967. This game Frank Mathews played as well.

28378803_410659596023342_7427057714369193252_n.jpg

What a great memory to jog. We used to go to a lot of The London Midweek League games. Does anyone remember the game v QPR when Rodney Marsh had his first game after an injury. I'm pretty sure it was a 4 figure attendance.

Shout there for Kelley's Radio in the High Street! :thumbsup:

I remember a football combination game v Spurs reserves sometime in the late 50's when we lost 6 or 7-2 and Len Duquenim scored 4 and Tommy Harmer played. Big crowd as I recall. Loved the midweek league as well, saw many games.. COYBB.

Showing my age but was that the record shop you went downstairs to listen to the new releases in a booth:

I'm pretty sure it was.

Think it was just under the railway bridge on the left, as you walked down towards the seafront, IIRC.

I'm pretty sure it was.

Think it was just under the railway bridge on the left, as you walked down towards the seafront, IIRC.

Yep it's now a Thomas Cook. It was just a couple of shops down from the fish shop, was that called Peacheys?

Well, yesterday wasn't what we hoped for, or expected after the super effort made by the club and the volunteers who came down to clear the pitch and get the game on. Bravo all :clap:

It was an awful result, not a great game, and not one of our better performances. But with the state the pitch was in, and it was bad before anyway, it was pretty inevitable that there wouldn't be much in the way of creative football going on regardless. I think we were a bit caught out, possibly guilty of assuming Walsall would be an easy 3 points and we were basically outplayed on the day. Our biggest mistake was allowing Oztumer any sniff of the ball at all - he was without doubt the best player on the pitch yesterday. I think the first was a little unlucky for Oxley, on that potato patch the ball could end up anywhere and it would have been like trying to catch a bar of soap! The second was well worked by them, Ox possibly could have been standing somewhere else and Timlin may have inadvertently not helped - but I think the timing was awful as SCP already had Fortune and Kightly on the touch line for the substitutions. Had that not gone in and it had stayed 1-0 at that point I think we would have been looking at a very different result. At 2-0 the game was all but lost anyway, not that it is an excuse, but I think we need to draw a line and look forward to next week.

not going to do ratings, because I don't think there is much point after a defeat like that. That said, I don't think anyone was completely terrible (noting that Lapodo unfairly appears to be the upcoming scapegoat), which is unfair because he wasn't doing anything that was worse than anyone else. No one had a complete howler, but there were no real stand out performances either. We just looked rusty and slightly off the pace. I think we lost the game in midfield - Tims and Yearwood weren't running the show as they had in previous games and we alllowed them in and this let Oztumer run riot.

SCP has now seen us at our worst, so he will no doubt be unhappy about the game but at least he can see first hand what he needs to change.

Oxley - actually didn't have much to do, apart from the obvious.
Demetriou - made some nice runs, and did a fair about of tracking back.
Turner - experience showed yesterday
Anton - thought he did okay to be fair. Lack of speed didn't help him, but consistently in the right place and won most headers.
Coker - not at his best, looked okay coming forward but off the pace defensively
Yearwood - Jekyll and Hyde, flashes of real skill, and some awful touches, inexperience showing
Timlin - didn't rev up the midfield as much as usual. Right decision to substitute him.
McLaughlin - pick of the midfield
Harrison - should have buried that first chance. Not his greatest performance, his chance will come.
Coxy - my MOM. Remained committed from start to finish.
Lapodo - ineffective

Subs -
Wordy - good to see him back, probably wouldn't have lasted a full game
Kightly - picked up where he left off. Looked really good.
Fortune - just pure class! Really wish he were 5 years younger!!

Did he? Are you sure?

I though he reacted to the second goal by putting them both on. I didn't see them waiting to come on as Oztumer took the free kick.

Back