• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Did he? Are you sure?

I though he reacted to the second goal by putting them both on. I didn't see them waiting to come on as Oztumer took the free kick.

Plus,it's not considered good to sub' immediately before a set piece.

A desperately disappointing performance and result.
Most worrying was CP’s failure to make the obvious necessary adjustments at the right time-not 20 minutes later.Scarily this reminds me of Brown.
Things clearly weren’t working well first half and I thought anyone could see that we couldn’t help but improve if Fortune’ was brought on for the hopeless Ladapo.If we’d still conceded the first goal,that was the time to increase our attacking threat and bring on fit-again Wordsworth and Kightly-for Yearwood and Harrison.

A desperately disappointing performance and result.
Most worrying was CP’s failure to make the obvious necessary adjustments at the right time-not 20 minutes later.Scarily this reminds me of Brown.
Things clearly weren’t working well first half and I thought anyone could see that we couldn’t help but improve if Fortune’ was brought on for the hopeless Ladapo.If we’d still conceded the first goal,that was the time to increase our attacking threat and bring on fit-again Wordsworth and Kightly-for Yearwood and Harrison.

Apart from injury I haven't seen a player subbed at half time through poor performance. For what ever reason managers prefer to wait and see whether said player will get better. Timing of subs is the manager's choice.

Apart from injury I haven't seen a player subbed at half time through poor performance. For what ever reason managers prefer to wait and see whether said player will get better. Timing of subs is the manager's choice.

Of course it is and our previous manager was particularly inept in that respect. We were all hoping the current one would be much, much better. Yesterday was therefore disappointing.

You can’t be watching very much football.It often happens and on occasions,uninjured players have been withdrawn well before half-time.

Much has been written about the timing of the subs yesterday. In this respect our card was marked at the time Chris took over. When asked about him as a manager at Charlton the one negative mentioned was his making substitutions too late.
I couldn't be there yesterday so can't properly judge what is being said about timings of the subs. But on a different point I did fear we would suffer from the previous blank Saturday. Will be interesting to see if other teams suffer similarly next weekend.
That postponement at Oldham was unfortunate. We were on a roll and may have been a better time to have faced Latics, with Eoin Doyle apparently not fit. But he was back with super goal yesterday at Scunthorpe. Well, the enforced break certainly didn't hinder Latics with that impressive win.

After some refection on the debacle yesterday, it seems to me that CP has the same issues as PB. Motivation in the dressing room seems to be an issue. CP's couple of loans seem out of their depth in anything over Ryman league at best and the senior players were in the same mindset as they were with PB in charge. Of course a good clear out will fix this in the summer

I really wouldn't judge SCP on yesterday. It wasn't a normal match. More of a surreal afterthought for much of the afternoon. I also think players were treading more carefully because of the playing surface. It was very difficult to turn easily on it.

The only thing I hope is that he realizes early enough that the forward line needs changing. I'd rather see Norman given a run in the side, if we are not going to play MAF from the start.

A lot's been made about that Harrison miss being a turning point (I agree he should have buried it). However I could have sworn that the linesman had his flag up, presumably for offside? Did anyone else see this or am I losing my marbles? :unsure:

A lot's been made about that Harrison miss being a turning point (I agree he should have buried it). However I could have sworn that the linesman had his flag up, presumably for offside? Did anyone else see this or am I losing my marbles? :unsure:

Nope not offside. Probably just put flag up for the goal kick.

I knew it wouldn't be long.... CP signalled to Kightly several minutes before the 2nd goal. He ran back down the line and seemed to take a while getting changed. Then went for a further warm up.....As you would in his boots, so to speak. He was ready before the ref gave them a very cheap free- kick.

You can’t be watching very much football.It often happens and on occasions,uninjured players have been withdrawn well before half-time.

I was thinking of Roots Hall. Have you seen it happen there in recent seasons?

Just a sidenote, that was the third successive season that Walsall have been 2-0 up at Roots Hall.

There can't be many sides in that time that have been in that position at all, let alone three years on the trot!

A lot's been made about that Harrison miss being a turning point

I was level with that chance as I was in the East Blacks and it wasn't that straightforward for me. It came at that awkward height of being slightly too low to get a header in and slightly too high to control the volley easily. It was also just slightly behind him.

I've seen a lot worse efforts than that, including some powder puff shooting yesterday from one or two others.

What a great memory to jog. We used to go to a lot of The London Midweek League games. Does anyone remember the game v QPR when Rodney Marsh had his first game after an injury. I'm pretty sure it was a 4 figure attendance.

Yep, I was there!. If my aging memory is correct, they won 1-0. The crowd was over 3,000, with many QPR fans singing 'Roddnneyy' throughout.
I'm sure during the game, he picked the ball up & booted it towards our goal. Think he got booked for that!

Did he? Are you sure?

I though he reacted to the second goal by putting them both on. I didn't see them waiting to come on as Oztumer took the free kick.

Yes, I was in the east stand, with a lovely view of the technical area, and they were both on the touch line with SCP, ready to go just before the free kick was awarded.

David Allaway played twice for the reserves in 1967. This game Frank Mathews played as well.

28378803_410659596023342_7427057714369193252_n.jpg
Eight of our twelve named that evening will be well known to zoners,having played often in the first team.The other 4 were from local schools: the 2 Daves Allaway and Cleaver from Southend High and Ray White and Reg Smith from Eastwood High .Reg and his wife have season tickets in the South Upper.

I remember a football combination game v Spurs reserves sometime in the late 50's when we lost 6 or 7-2 and Len Duquenim scored 4 and Tommy Harmer played. Big crowd as I recall. Loved the midweek league as well, saw many games.. COYBB.
29/8/56 SU Res 1 TH Res 6 not only Tommy Harmer and Len Duquemin,but also full-backs Peter Baker (no,not our Pete!) and Ron Henry from the 1960-61 Double-winning team.

Back