• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

rigsby, DWB - I'm not sure who is right or who is wrong but I do know that this is getting tiresome. Please stop the sniping.

Thanks in advance.

I put both on ignore as it's the same thing from them on every thread. Has made my experience of viewing shrimperzone much better.

I put both on ignore as it's the same thing from them on every thread. Has made my experience of viewing shrimperzone much better.

I understand the emotion(s) behind such a move but I would caution against that. Better to hear/read the whole "discussion" rather than just the parts you like is my view. That road leads to state control, totalitarianism*, autocratic leadership and despots. :unsure:

* hope that is the correct spelling ..........

I understand the emotion(s) behind such a move but I would caution against that. Better to hear/read the whole "discussion" rather than just the parts you like is my view. That road leads to state control, totalitarianism*, autocratic leadership and despots. :unsure:

He can't handle the truth :smile:

In agreement with you 'LB' don't get me wrong.

My concern, rather than an issue, is when people are called on their opinions with demands as to why they feel that way.

I've had it myself, when people are shocked almost by a view I have, putting it down as me being nuts to think like that, when all it is, as 'cultist' says, a friendly discussion on the merits, or otherwise, of a team performance.

Perhaps demand is a little strong, but is it really so unreasonable to ask someone to elaborate on a view? Strong views are usually (and should be) backed up by strong reasoning.

It's sad because both have had very good points in the past but it seems to have become spam central from these two with their extreme biassed opinions against each others. I just would rather not see it if I'm honest.

Perhaps demand is a little strong, but is it really so unreasonable to ask someone to elaborate on a view? Strong views are usually (and should be) backed up by strong reasoning.

Of course not, 'Eddy'.

The point was that 'Rigsby' never mentioned Anton in his report, as you can see below :-

It was suggested he should by 'mfurok' in post #47. Followed up by two more people wanting answers to this question.

My point being that it wasn't even a discussion point in the orginal post, so there's no view to elaborate on and it then resulted in the following "tiresome" exchange that the likes of 'Westy' feels the need to put on ignore and a moderator felt the need to post in response to.

I'm all for debate, but not sure anybody wins with the personal spats that litter the forum, at times.

First of all what a good game. Plenty of end to end stuff from two teams who both wanted to win even in the 93rrd minute. It was certainly no dragged out bore draw.

Yes very frustrating for us as it capped a week of effort and commitment with little to show for it. We all know you don't always get what you deserve in football but missing two penalties, hitting the wood work 3 times, having 2 goals ruled off-side, handball of the line with no red, goal bound shots hitting your own players (Kightly first half) and Wright dragging that excellent chest down from Cox wide from 6 yds when the goal was gaping........We end up with just 2 points from 9 which seems to me at least not a true reflection of the lads performance in the last 8 days.

Anyway credit to Oxford, like us they want to get on with the game and play with that L1 honesty that many of us enjoy. Not to much shirt pulling, manhandling or rolling around and timewasting.

You can see why they are capable of winning 4-0 away but equally why we could have scored a lot more than one. To be fair the woodwork owed us a few from Tuesday so lets be thank full it went in our favour today.

Pleased for Turner he was my man of the week, proving good things come to those who wait. Nice to see some of you judging Timlin in a more positive light. He was very disciplined after his harsh yellow.

Nice early cross fro McL for the goal. Shame Fortune, McG and Ba all had to have that extra touch in the second half rather than fire it in early and low.

For those of you who claim PB is obsessed with the opposition, yet at the same time demanded Lenny sit on JP.....Well we just got on with our game. Yes he had some nice moves in the first 45, fizzled out second half but still had a chance to win it late on....Typical JP performance at RH.

Many of you will look at the table and groan. We are creating plenty of chances and its not to far fetched to say had that lovable little rogue (joke) Nile Ranger put away that pen v Pompey then we might well be sitting in their place 7th in L1, rather than 14th.

Of course not, 'Eddy'.

The point was that 'Rigsby' never mentioned Anton in his report, as you can see below :-

It was suggested he should by 'mfurok' in post #47. Followed up by two more people wanting answers to this question.

My point being that it wasn't even a discussion point in the orginal post, so there's no view to elaborate on and it then resulted in the following "tiresome" exchange that the likes of 'Westy' feels the need to put on ignore and a moderator felt the need to post in response to.

I'm all for debate, but not sure anybody wins with the personal spats that litter the forum, at times.

The trouble is that Rigsby bypasses anything he doesn't want to answer, like the Anton thing, and deflects the issue onto another poster. It happens time and time again. Yes I'm a fervent Brown out supporter but always answer questions I'm asked. People are always entitled to their own opinions and we all have different views on the same thing but it's the abject swerving of anything Rigsby doesn't want to, or have an answer to, that riles me and others. Probably a nice bloke in real life, you'd have to ask PB what he's really like

LOL :smile:. Good point 'DWB'. It might get a mention in the next 'PB Diaries'! :thumbsup:

Fair comments. I think the concern I have is that it's the thin line between genuinely asking a question and trying to proverbially poke the tiger with a stick.

We know certain posters will bite, if provoked and it all ends in tears and bans. Some justified, I accept that.

Just feel that this thread is a tiger-poking one. That's how it looks to me.

thank you for correcting me on the slip/fell over or what ever it was....the player ended up on his anus and the rest is history

I was more responding to the quote from PB that he slipped. I guess your post maybe reminded me of it. If that had been any other player PB would probably have called him out on it. See Mark Phillips, Cian Bolger and Luke Prosser for evidence.

Oh dear looks like I have been summoned to the office by 2 of the school prefects, over my homework.

Wouldn't it be better if you two put your heads together and came up with just one match report between you. Then it would be made clear to us all, the high standards expected.

ok, i'll bite

I was very polite so I don't know why you feel the need to be sarcastic (again), I couldn't be at the match so I cant do a match report. If you look back on my posts in the past you will see that on more than one occasion I have said that I actually enjoy reading your match reports as you see things others included don't. However on this report the opposite is true and what I find confusing is why you avoid questions and go on the attack instead of answering them . You have written loads on here, but nothing on Anton- i'm clearly not the only one that finds that weird.
if you don't want to answer fair enough, but why be sarcastic and go on the attack for no good reason ?

No worries at all, mate.

I know I gave Ferdy a 6, but didn't think it was that biased! :smile::winking:

To be fair, rigsby didn't mention Demetriou either and he was voted sponsors MOM!

My view on Anton -

Is he a class player? Yes, in his head. At the moment the body is not doing what the head wants.

I don't think his communication can be undervalued. Harry Kyp learned so much playing alongside him.

However, he had an absolute mare on Saturday, especially in the first half and I think even the player himself would hold his hands up to that.

And would anyone really avoid giving a rating on a player they think highly of as they might think it would weaken their argument? Doubt it. It just means that the player didn't have his best game. If someone was great week in, week out they wouldn't be here for long!

ok, i'll bite

I was very polite so I don't know why you feel the need to be sarcastic (again), I couldn't be at the match so I cant do a match report. If you look back on my posts in the past you will see that on more than one occasion I have said that I actually enjoy reading your match reports as you see things others included don't. However on this report the opposite is true and what I find confusing is why you avoid questions and go on the attack instead of answering them . You have written loads on here, but nothing on Anton- i'm clearly not the only one that finds that weird.
if you don't want to answer fair enough, but why be sarcastic and go on the attack for no good reason ?

Ok fair enough UWS please accept my apologies if you weren't at the game. looks like I miss read your post as it followed on from others who have been trolling on other threads as well.

So my view on Anton.....No it certainly wasn't one of his best games however over the last 5/6 league games he has certainly not been as bad as some would claim. It would seem he now has the Timlin baton for week.

My personal view is our best option at the back is Turner, having seen him in all 3 games and Anton when he is on form. Even on Saturday we looked strong when Turner was playing the attacking CB (like Thompson last season) with Anton sweeping.

Now despite what people claim our setup is less cautious this season, Kightly for Atkinson, 3 attackers at Pompey etc. Of course the goals for column don't back my theory but we are all aware of the reasons for that.

A good example would be our goal on Saturday. Turner attacks and wins a good header in the middle of the park ball falls eventually to Demi who plays in McL who has the confidence to make that run as he could see Turner was going to win that ball.

The down side would be Oxfords goal on Saturday. Demi is in their half when they play a long but decent pass over the top. The problem was we were left with 2-on-2 at the back. Turner had gone out to cover their guy on the left wing, so couldn't attack the ball. Anton isn't in a bad positon for a sweeper, draw a line between ball and keeper and show your man outside. The problem was he was a quick strong lad, read the pass well so gets half a yard on Anton and then gives him a nudge and with Anton slipping he knows he has time to compose himself and finishes quickly and without fuss.....Good goal for them poor goal for us as nobody likes to concede with a straight ball over the top. Cox or Fortune couldn't score that goal as its not their game. Our big strong lad can't get out of bed and wouldn't be alive enough anyway. So that would only leave Theo to play on the shoulder of the last defender.

The other option is for you left back to slide over to the middle to give more cover when the right back is attacking but we were on the front foot at the time so Timlin was also pushing up. However there is still a down side to that tactic as that's exactly what Oxfords right back did for our goal. Demi spotted the space and McL took full advantage before his nice early cross.

So we can always blame individuals but it has been unusual to see us with 2-on-2 at the back whilst 1-0 up. Anton hadn't had a great game until then so I watched him carefully. The next two times he was involved he done well and he had a better second half than first.

Many have mentioned JW but his positon at CB is up against Turner rather than Anton. It was harsh to leave him out but Turners performances over the 3 games makes that the right call by PB.

If we are going to do anything this season we need Turners height and presence in both boxes and we need Anton to get back somewhere near last season.

When PB mentioned the fans he was more concerned with what was shouted at Anton rather than Ranger being lightly booed on. He is still our captain and still deserves our support.

Hope that helps UWS.

Last edited:
I do think we must accept that the pitch is causing problems for players at times in turning and sometimes running, Anton told us tonight that his feet just had no grip and he slipped at that crucial moment on Saturday.

Now, I know nothing about this, never having played football, but is there anything we can do to give our players more grip on our treacherous pitch? He's certainly not the only player to have slipped, and this is going to get worse as the winter matches carry on.

I do think we must accept that the pitch is causing problems for players at times in turning and sometimes running, Anton told us tonight that his feet just had no grip and he slipped at that crucial moment on Saturday.

Now, I know nothing about this, never having played football, but is there anything we can do to give our players more grip on our treacherous pitch? He's certainly not the only player to have slipped, and this is going to get worse as the winter matches carry on.

Difficult one OBL. Its more a case of big lumps of turf moving under them rather than choice of boots or studs. Rather like when a hall carpet slides on a polished floor. You end being just grateful you haven't totally embarrassed yourself unlike Anton on Saturday.

Back