• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

I do think we must accept that the pitch is causing problems for players at times in turning and sometimes running, Anton told us tonight that his feet just had no grip and he slipped at that crucial moment on Saturday.

Now, I know nothing about this, never having played football, but is there anything we can do to give our players more grip on our treacherous pitch? He's certainly not the only player to have slipped, and this is going to get worse as the winter matches carry on.

The trouble is that it doesn't seem to be affecting the opposition players.

It may be that the colder weather may firm the pitch up a bit, but it is absolutely the worst pitch I can ever remember us having.

Yet when we get to pitches that are superb, like Rotherham and Doncaster, when in fact the players said pre game, "If we can't play football on that then we can't play on anything", we are taken to pieces.

I think we have to accept that our central back pairing has been either too slow, too old, too inexperienced or too short (and sometimes 3 out of 4 of those), which has been the main reason for our poor start.

Ok fair enough UWS please accept my apologies if you weren't at the game. looks like I miss read your post as it followed on from others who have been trolling on other threads as well.

So my view on Anton.....No it certainly wasn't one of his best games however over the last 5/6 league games he has certainly not been as bad as some would claim. It would seem he now has the Timlin baton for week.

My personal view is our best option at the back is Turner, having seen him in all 3 games and Anton when he is on form. Even on Saturday we looked strong when Turner was playing the attacking CB (like Thompson last season) with Anton sweeping.

Now despite what people claim our setup is less cautious this season, Kightly for Atkinson, 3 attackers at Pompey etc. Of course the goals for column don't back my theory but we are all aware of the reasons for that.

A good example would be our goal on Saturday. Turner attacks and wins a good header in the middle of the park ball falls eventually to Demi who plays in McL who has the confidence to make that run as he could see Turner was going to win that ball.

The down side would be Oxfords goal on Saturday. Demi is in their half when they play a long but decent pass over the top. The problem was we were left with 2-on-2 at the back. Turner had gone out to cover their guy on the left wing, so couldn't attack the ball. Anton isn't in a bad positon for a sweeper, draw a line between ball and keeper and show your man outside. The problem was he was a quick strong lad, read the pass well so gets half a yard on Anton and then gives him a nudge and with Anton slipping he knows he has time to compose himself and finishes quickly and without fuss.....Good goal for them poor goal for us as nobody likes to concede with a straight ball over the top. Cox or Fortune couldn't score that goal as its not their game. Our big strong lad can't get out of bed and wouldn't be alive enough anyway. So that would only leave Theo to play on the shoulder of the last defender.

The other option is for you left back to slide over to the middle to give more cover when the right back is attacking but we were on the front foot at the time so Timlin was also pushing up. However there is still a down side to that tactic as that's exactly what Oxfords right back did for our goal. Demi spotted the space and McL took full advantage before his nice early cross.

So we can always blame individuals but it has been unusual to see us with 2-on-2 at the back whilst 1-0 up. Anton hadn't had a great game until then so I watched him carefully. The next two times he was involved he done well and he had a better second half than first.

Many have mentioned JW but his positon at CB is up against Turner rather than Anton. It was harsh to leave him out but Turners performances over the 3 games makes that the right call by PB.

If we are going to do anything this season we need Turners height and presence in both boxes and we need Anton to get back somewhere near last season.

When PB mentioned the fans he was more concerned with what was shouted at Anton rather than Ranger being lightly booed on. He is still our captain and still deserves our support.

Hope that helps UWS.

Re each of the nonsense in bold above:

Ferdinand has been responsible for each of the goals conceded in the last 3 games.

When is that likely to be?

He continually misjudges balls over the top.

Nonsense - he sweeps better than Ferdinand.

Indeed but there is no sign of that.

Support is earned.

Adam was our captain and didn't get your or Brown's support.

To summarise: don't confuse trolling with putting an alternative view and our manager should be the judge of a player's form not star struck.

Ferdinand has been responsible for each of the goals conceded in the last 3 games.

Support is earned.

To summarise: don't confuse trolling with putting an alternative view and our manager should be the judge of a player's form not star struck.

I have to agree, you have this spot on.

Having 2 slow CB's when you have a LB and RB that like to push forward is an accident waiting to happen. By playing JW at CB next to Turner, you have a bit more pace to fill the gaps made by either Timlin or Demi. I think Ferdy's days are numbered.

Not sure if it would work position wise, but I am hoping when fit, Kyprianou will come back to CB along with Turner. That would be a great CB paring as long as the positions suited them. Kyprianou was looking very good before his injury and could learn a lot from Turner

Support is earned.

I know AB is your hero and your still bitterly upset but I thought you were better than that.

I know AB is your hero and your still bitterly upset but I thought you were better than that.

Deflecting away from you again. How about you respond to the issues around Ferdinand? After all, that's what this is about.

The point was made about AB as you said about supporting the captain. It suits you to support the captain when it's someone you like but if not, then your argument changes

Deflecting away from you again. How about you respond to the issues around Ferdinand? After all, that's what this is about.

The point was made about AB as you said about supporting the captain. It suits you to support the captain when it's someone you like but if not, then your argument changes

Rather than troll and accuse me of 'not supporting AB' why don't you add something to this thread. In about 12 posts so far you have failed miserably. Your in danger of being dropped.

Rather than troll and accuse me of 'not supporting AB' why don't you add something to this thread. In about 12 posts so far you have failed miserably. Your in danger of being dropped.

In your opinion. Dropped from what? That makes no sense. You are deflecting again from the issue as usual.

I think Ferdy has lost his way. He lost him mum which must have affected him greatly. I think his legs have gone too and possibly the time is right for him to bow out with grace. He has cost us points in all the last 3 games and hasn't looked anywhere near the player he was last season.

Have a word with Brown about it when you next go round to collect the rent

Sorry Rigsby, I blocked you before your SZ ban because of what I viewed to be a supercilious and holier than though attitude.

However I was pleased that you were allowed back on SZ - now though it's a bit like Groundhog Day and whilst I love debate and alternative opinions I am bored of being preached to - so adios, farewell, goodbye, good luck, so long.

So, three people push 'Rigsby' for an answer to a question that had nothing to do with his match report and now it's his fault.

No wonder he got banned, if people can't see that this is what's going on.

I like all four posters involved in this, for various reasons, so I'm not taking sides, but this is just playground nonsense and nothing more.

It can't just be a coincidence that people with an anti-PB agenda, also have an anti-Rigsby agenda.

Regardless of the rights and wrongs of the argument about Anton/Barrett, 'Rigsby' was asked for his opinion on Anton's performance and gave it, then it's classed as "nonsense" and the whole cycle begins again.

Sad, as all four posters involved are way better than this, IMHO.

In your opinion. Dropped from what? That makes no sense. You are deflecting again from the issue as usual.

I think Ferdy has lost his way. He lost him mum which must have affected him greatly. I think his legs have gone too and possibly the time is right for him to bow out with grace. He has cost us points in all the last 3 games and hasn't looked anywhere near the player he was last season.

Have a word with Brown about it when you next go round to collect the rent

Missing penalties and easy chances has cost us the points. Anyway unlike me your no fan of JW so who do you suggest we play instead of Anton.

Missing penalties and easy chances has cost us the points. Anyway unlike me your no fan of JW so who do you suggest we play instead of Anton.

So Anton's inability to keep up with the Oxford striker and put in a challenge didn't cost us on Saturday then?

I think JW has played really well at CB this season and have said so on here on more than one occasion. In fact, he has been one of our most consistent players I'd happily see him play with Turner at the back.

So Anton's inability to keep up with the Oxford striker and put in a challenge didn't cost us on Saturday then?

I think JW has played really well at CB this season and have said so on here on more than one occasion. In fact, he has been one of our most consistent players I'd happily see him play with Turner at the back.

Nice to see you have had a change of opinion. Not that long ago you use to troll OBL for her support of JW.

Nice to see you have had a change of opinion. Not that long ago you use to troll OBL for her support of JW.

I have never trolled OBL, we are actually friends. I have joked with her on a few occasions of her love for JW, and before that of her love for Macca, no not McLaughlin but McCormack (remember him). I don't think JW is or ever was that great at LB but makes a much better CB

In fairness 'DWB', Anton's slip-up wasn't the cause of us dropping a couple of points on Saturday. It didn't help, granted.

The other thing is that I like JW. Great professional and still a decent player. That said, we have let a few goals in when he has played centre-half. It's not like he's Franco Baresi coming into the side to replace Ferdy.

In fairness, I do think Anton could do with a week off. I said in my match report that he didn't look on it mentally, more than anything else. Maybe 3 games in 8 days is a lot for him these days.

On the flipside, he still has a lot to offer. He lacks pace, we all know that, but two players (Thommo and Kyps) have really improved in the last 18 months and it can't just be a coincidence that it was mainly to do with having Ferdy alongside them.

Last edited:

Anton slipped on Saturday, blame the pitch.

I have never trolled OBL, we are actually friends. I have joked with her on a few occasions of her love for JW, and before that of her love for Macca, no not McLaughlin but McCormack (remember him). I don't think JW is or ever was that great at LB but makes a much better CB

:stunned: That's pushing it a bit!

I do think we must accept that the pitch is causing problems for players at times in turning and sometimes running, Anton told us tonight that his feet just had no grip and he slipped at that crucial moment on Saturday.

Now, I know nothing about this, never having played football, but is there anything we can do to give our players more grip on our treacherous pitch? He's certainly not the only player to have slipped, and this is going to get worse as the winter matches carry on.

When a club has a "different" or difficult pitch (the slope at Yeovil's old ground, the long grass and sand at John Beck's Cambridge Utd etc) it normally works in their favour. They are used to it, they play on it every other week, they train on it sometimes. The opposition play on it once a season (barring cup ties) and it should cause them more of a problem, but the reverse seems to be true. Strange.

When a club has a "different" or difficult pitch (the slope at Yeovil's old ground, the long grass and sand at John Beck's Cambridge Utd etc) it normally works in their favour. They are used to it, they play on it every other week, they train on it sometimes. The opposition play on it once a season (barring cup ties) and it should cause them more of a problem, but the reverse seems to be true. Strange.

True, and we are still unbeaten on it in the league, which is really odd!

True, and we are still unbeaten on it in the league, which is really odd!

One of only three teams in the Football League - Cardiff and Notts County being the others - still unbeaten at home!

Of course, they've used that form as a springboard to the top two of their respective divisions. We...have not.

Back