• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Payne no impact? He is our leading goalscorer despite not being a striker!!!

Indeed, he has done well at times and has had some really good games, yet plenty of other games he has done next to nothing.

Last two games do you really think he has imposed himself on the games? He did ok in brief moments yesterday but I wouldnt say he had much of an impact.

a shame, a terrible result, home form must improve.

can't say the the team played that bad, no luck + THE REF was terrible, Stanley must be well chuffed with this result, good luck to their few away fans

Back on topic shall we?

Don't get the low ratings for Cassidy. Thought he did very well yesterday and played the "hard worker" striker role very well. Would have given him MoM.

Same problem as we've had all season at home. The ball is out wide and look in the box and there is 1 player in there. Again the subs were poor. Cassidy had done well doing all the hard work and he should have brought Pigott off IMO. Let Corr get in the box and allow Cassidy to do the hard work.

I can understand if he brought Coker off if he was worried about his hip, but we had just scored and thought that sub ruined the team shape. Did we go 3 at the back or did Hurst go to left back? No idea! If you want to bring on Hurst then take off Leonard. Then we would have had White, Coker, Hurst and Worrall on the pitch to get balls into the box for Corr to attack.

It was frustrating to watch and some of the decisions were very questionable. Why of why, when you have a freekick on the half way line and everyone is in the box, why pass it 10 yards sideways and waste more time.

The ref, blimey! How on earth did he not give a single foul for grabbing an opponent. Should have expected it when their player wrestled Leonard to the floor and no foul was given. Another day it would have been several freekicks and even a penalty or two.

One positive is that Brown might finally change the team. Binnom-Williams has shown time and time again that he is prone to lapses of concentration in the last few games, yet Brown persisted with him and eventually that has cost us. The 2 goals conceded were so easily avoidable. A long throw with 4 defenders failing to mark 2 of their players and then a big ball over the top.

This is what I'd go with next:

Bentley / T Smith
White Thompson Prosser/Barrett Coker
Worrall Timlin Deegan Weston
Cassidy Pigott

We went three at the back and I guess White/Thompson/BW give us 3 centre halves, albeit White and BW are converted from fullbacks rather than Coker.

Ah. It's good to see Shrimperzone back to normal service. One loss after 10 unbeaten , still in the playoffs and everyone's useless and the manager should be sacked. :hilarious:

#ficklefans

At one point in the 2nd half, Williams made an excellent decision in playing the ball out of defence himself. He forced Accy onto the back foot, which we failed to do for much of the afternoon. They didn't like us running at them and we didn't capitalise enough on that.

I''ll take that and raise you the TWO times he did it in the first half as the last man and lost the ball ! a better side would have capayalised on this. And as an aside the 'Prosser hoofs' remarks by many is Luke lazy journalism. When he next plays people should pay more attention , he looks up and if a simple pass is on he normally plays it. Piggots attempt in the first half was from a brilliant over the top ball from BW. If Prosser does the same it is a hoof. Whilst on the center backs when Prosser heads it he actually gets some distance on the ball.

Nice selection of ideas on this thread, a lot of them knee jerk of course. Tuesdays MOM Thommo should not have started and Ted smith should be dropped after one game and change the captain amongst my favourites so far.

Our main problem remains.... goals at home. The time between Pigott's 2nd on Tuesday and the Corr header Saturday, there was little if any decent delivery in the box. Even in the last 15mins, far too many tight passes out wide in the final 3rd for my liking. Thought Cassidy played well but has had nothing to attack in the box.

Before everyone screams tactics and selection we did have the ball in the right areas. Think of some of the moves down the left second half where we over passed or Coker turned in on his right foot. Just after we scored at one point both Corr and Lester came short for the same throw, we kept possession but the crosser had nowhere to go.
I know Worrall was sub [man flue] but when he came on we rather starved him of the ball.

On the subject of Payne or width the first goal v Cheltenham came from Jack Payne running at the centre of defence, this drew in their back four so when the ball went wide, White had room to deliver a decent cross.

At Oxford Coker produced four good crosses.... scored from 3 and the keeper made good save from Worrall from the other. We had to survive the cauldron, PB's words, At Oxford and Pompey but the Stanley keeper got of very lightly.

They are potentially the worse match ratings I have seen. Thompson - poor? Leandro worked hard defensively. Cassidy works hard off the ball and makes intelligent runs, how can a striker do something if the Midfield are struggling to find him?

Given Brown's comments about young/naive/nous etc I would not be surprised if next Saturday he starts with Corr up front in place of Cassidy. Given Barry's experience and goal threat, not necessarily what i would do, but just following on from his post match comment.

At least we know the first name on the sheet is Leonard!!

I''ll take that and raise you the TWO times he did it in the first half as the last man and lost the ball ! a better side would have capayalised on this. And as an aside the 'Prosser hoofs' remarks by many is Luke lazy journalism. When he next plays people should pay more attention , he looks up and if a simple pass is on he normally plays it. Piggots attempt in the first half was from a brilliant over the top ball from BW. If Prosser does the same it is a hoof. Whilst on the center backs when Prosser heads it he actually gets some distance on the ball.

Completely agreed with this. Prossers alleged 'hoofs' relate back to 4 seasons ago when he was played out of position at left back. But for some, the stereotype is cast. It was the same with Conor Clifford - if he was in the side, some were immediately concerned he'd get sent off. If Paul Smith ever plays again, there will be immediate concern when he doesn't come to the edge of the 18 yard box to collect crosses.

Likewise Leonard for some is the first choice in midfield due to his excellent form. Really?

I broke my self imposed exclusion yesterday...first game since around the end of October I think (Luton away and Exeter at home in quick succession damaged me mentally). I've read some positive stuff on here (yes, really) recently. But it was dreadful again yesterday. I don't mean the result, I mean the entertainment side of it...everything was just too slow and predictable...we played exactly how Stanley would have wanted to. Yes, they were lucky to win - but we didn't show enough to win the game ourselves.

So was yesterday a blip, or has it been the same for the last couple of months with a bit of luck with results?

They are potentially the worse match ratings I have seen. Thompson - poor? Leandro worked hard defensively. Cassidy works hard off the ball and makes intelligent runs, how can a striker do something if the Midfield are struggling to find him?

Is he our new Brazilian signing?

Given Brown's comments about young/naive/nous etc I would not be surprised if next Saturday he starts with Corr up front in place of Cassidy. Given Barry's experience and goal threat, not necessarily what i would do, but just following on from his post match comment.

At least we know the first name on the sheet is Leonard!!

I think he was talking more about Smith, B.Williams and Payne. Possibly Thompson, but then he was playing with a knock.

I broke my self imposed exclusion yesterday...first game since around the end of October I think (Luton away and Exeter at home in quick succession damaged me mentally). I've read some positive stuff on here (yes, really) recently. But it was dreadful again yesterday. I don't mean the result, I mean the entertainment side of it...everything was just too slow and predictable...we played exactly how Stanley would have wanted to. Yes, they were lucky to win - but we didn't show enough to win the game ourselves.

So was yesterday a blip, or has it been the same for the last couple of months with a bit of luck with results?

Our home form has been stuttering to say the least. Some good stuff played for the main course and then an equal amount of bad stuff to follow for desert. There is still an imbalance in the team at Roots Hall, which by all accounts doesn't happen at away games (I'm too old for them these days so I can't give you a first hand view). It's not so much a bit of luck as a reluctance to hammer sides when we are on top, although defensively, normally we are hard to score against. I still think that if we could find the elusive consistency we would be awesome at home, why we can't is a mystery to me.

As you will have seen on here, some believe that it is PB's lack of attacking appetite but both Piggott and Cassidy, for me, are enough to win games for us, just not very often at Roots Hall, it seems. Not very helpful I'm afraid but that's the way it is this season and we wait for the next away match to rekindle our belief.

It's got to be a special sort of situation where you have someone rating the ratings.

Back on topic shall we?

Don't get the low ratings for Cassidy. Thought he did very well yesterday and played the "hard worker" striker role very well. Would have given him MoM.

Same problem as we've had all season at home. The ball is out wide and look in the box and there is 1 player in there. Again the subs were poor. Cassidy had done well doing all the hard work and he should have brought Pigott off IMO. Let Corr get in the box and allow Cassidy to do the hard work.

I can understand if he brought Coker off if he was worried about his hip, but we had just scored and thought that sub ruined the team shape. Did we go 3 at the back or did Hurst go to left back? No idea! If you want to bring on Hurst then take off Leonard. Then we would have had White, Coker, Hurst and Worrall on the pitch to get balls into the box for Corr to attack.

It was frustrating to watch and some of the decisions were very questionable. Why of why, when you have a freekick on the half way line and everyone is in the box, why pass it 10 yards sideways and waste more time.

The ref, blimey! How on earth did he not give a single foul for grabbing an opponent. Should have expected it when their player wrestled Leonard to the floor and no foul was given. Another day it would have been several freekicks and even a penalty or two.

One positive is that Brown might finally change the team. Binnom-Williams has shown time and time again that he is prone to lapses of concentration in the last few games, yet Brown persisted with him and eventually that has cost us. The 2 goals conceded were so easily avoidable. A long throw with 4 defenders failing to mark 2 of their players and then a big ball over the top.

This is what I'd go with next:

Bentley / T Smith
White Thompson Prosser/Barrett Coker
Worrall Timlin Deegan Weston
Cassidy Pigott

Make most of your views correct, will they, change, god knows, its down to the management to sort these shortcomings out, can't do nothing about bad refs

Leoanrd 3- Grabbed an assist for their 1st goal and couldn't pass to save his life.
Corr 7 - Nice goal and the only player who looked like scoring a 2nd.

Apologies if these have been covered/replied to already, but bit tardy this weekend. I've not been Leonard's biggest fan of late but he has improved last 2/3 games, are you forgetting his clearance off the line and his last-ditch covering?
Nice goal? He was two feet from goal and had it set up on a plate for him by Payne. Sorry, but if the ball wasn't within 5 yards of BBBC he wasn't going for it yesterday....

To summarise I thought we looked leggy and they were simply more composed on the ball. Yet again we rushed every single free-kick, sure a quickly taken free kick led to our goal at Shrewsbury, but we are trying a (very) quick one every single time, even in the tightest of situations. I still think we do not deserve automatic promotion based on our performances thus far....here's to scraping it via Wembley.

Back