• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

No pace means we cannot stretch these wretched teams,that is my opinion and anyone who understand the game would know pace is vital in the final third.

We could play 442 for 1000 games and guess what if the strikers are not up to it then it becomes futile,simples.

You said only two days ago goals were now flowing and if we had played 442 all season we would be promoted, now it turns out you have to have pacy strikers as well.

Lack of width was obviously far more of a factor today than pace.

Anyone who understands the game might have spotted that....

Disgusting and humiliating defeat to the most tinpot club the football league has ever seen. Brown OUT! Today sums up why we won't get promoted today. When it matters, we bottle it. Absolutely fuming right now.

Colchester United would like to have a word with you over such slander.

Smith 6- Feel sorry for the lad having to play behind Thompson and Williams today. They did him no favours whatsoever
White 4- Just hoofed all day, very poor
Thompson 5- Poor
Williams 4- Poor, couldn't pass the ball to a blues player
Coker 6- Best of a bad back four
Leonard 5- Still off form
Atkinson 6- Worked hard, was everywhere
Timlin -7 Provided all the drive
Payne 7- Tried to make things happen. Got an assist
Pigott 7- Strong on and off the ball, unlucky not to score
Cassidy 5- Strong and a few good flicks

Corr -7 Made a difference
Worrall -6 Lively but just not strong enough
Hurst -6 Seems to be playing too deep when he came on

Ref- 4 Extremely weak and got a lot of decisions wrong.

Brown should really have started with Worrall and Hurst. We were too narrow today

You said only two days ago goals were now flowing and if we had played 442 all season we would be promoted, now it turns out you have to have pacy strikers as well.

Lack of width was obviously far more of a factor today than pace.

Anyone who understands the game might have spotted that....

Well at least I now know I know something about football

But we've still only lost one in 10, so at least this result brings us back to earth and gives Brown the opportunity to pick a better centre half next week without being accused of changing a winning side - we've 'got away' with JBW there for a number of weeks now in my view. I also wonder how Corr and Piggott might get on together?
Regarding formation, has anyone considered that there may not be one RIGHT formation? 4-4-2 gives us a little more punch going forwards, but against some of the better sides it leaves us short in midfield and we're in danger of getting over-run - so then we need an extra man in midfield.
Equally Payne causes the opposition more problems than anyone else so we want to fit him in there, but he fits into a 3 man midfield better than a 2. As such we could play something like a 3-5-2 which uses him well, plus still gives us the 2 up front that we want. But then our back 4 (which to be fair is pretty good) gets broken up.
Not easy, is it. I think half the problem is that we have a genuinely good squad currently - so Brown is spoilt for choice in a number of areas. Most league 2 clubs don't have players like Corr, Coulthirst, Hurst, Prosser, Barrett, Worrall (and dare I say it Paul Smith) not making the first XI. Take Accrington as an example - all 7 of them would have started for Accrington.

Disgusting and humiliating defeat to the most tinpot club the football league has ever seen. Brown OUT! Today sums up why we won't get promoted. When it matters, we bottle it. Absolutely fuming right now.

Not quite sure what sacking Brown now would achieve. Sounds like a horrendous performance today but we are still in a fair position. See where we are come May...

Well at least I now know I know something about football

A few people have mentioned it as well.

It was also mentioned a few times after last week, that even though the first half (against what was a terrible team) was good it lacked width and Brown changed it second half to add width when we had gone off the boil.

I was surprised to persist with the narrow formation today, but its that Payne question isnt it, how do we play with him and 2 forwards without sacrificing width. No idea personally.

Not quite sure what sacking Brown now would achieve. Sounds like a horrendous performance today but we are still in a fair position. See where we are come May...

Oh dear, how can people be saying that after 10 games unbeaten. As you say, its one game and we are still well placed.

Shocking defeat But no surprise it was coming!

Our overall performances at home have been poor, do think we have some good players but not a great team!

Good timing with the season ticket anouncement!!!

Smith 6
White 5
Thompson 6
Williams 3
Coker 6
Leonard 6
Atkinson 4
Timlin 5
Payne 7
Pigott 5.
Cassidy 5

Corr 6
Hurst 5
Worrall 6

Yet again we have lost to a team that has come to defend. They suck us in then hit us on the counter. We then fail to break them down. Not good enough to lose to a team like Accrington, no offense to them. Why on earth was Binnom-Williams playing a CB role?

Why people keep banging on about 4-4-2 I don't know. The formation had absolutely nothing to do with the result today. The fact that the players picked (probably not our best Xi) went out and continued from where they left off against Cheltenham, dire, is the culprit. No cohesion, no concerted pressure and playing miles below their ability. Why? Answer that correctly and you can spend the night with Sammy the Shrimp. Who knows?

For me, the players should be going out on the pitch so up for each and every game. Tight, together and on top throughout. Some hope. PB may think he is a tactical genius but clearly Mr. Motivator he ain't.

Why people keep banging on about 4-4-2 I don't know. The formation had absolutely nothing to do with the result today. The fact that the players picked (probably not our best Xi) went out and continued from where they left off against Cheltenham, dire, is the culprit. No cohesion, no concerted pressure and playing miles below their ability. Why? Answer that correctly and you can spend the night with Sammy the Shrimp. Who knows?

For me, the players should be going out on the pitch so up for each and every game. Tight, together and on top throughout. Some hope. PB may think he is a tactical genius but clearly Mr. Motivator he ain't.

Because we have had to listen to certain people for months telling us it was the answer to everything.

As you say the formation isnt the problem it never has been, whatever formation we line up in we need to perform better.

I have no idea either whats missing, I do know just playing 442 wasnt ever going to fix things.

I do want us to stick with the front pairing though, I just dont know how to get the best out of them without leaving out Payne.

Sounds like player choice, set up and tactics were completely wrong today and that's down to the manager. I'm beginning to think that Phil Brown is at the level he deserves to be and understand why he was out of work before we took him on.............No disrespect to Accy but we should be destroying teams like them at home if we are serious about promotion.

The thing is that Piggott and Cassidy as a double act have been providing the goals up until today. For them to do the business the rest of the team have to be part of it as well. Too many were off their game today, and whilst Teddy did nothing wrong I do think that Dan not being available affected the team in terms of confidence. Payne is a good player but he was not there today.

Did he not make the cross for the goal?

Did he not make the cross for the goal?

Yes he did, and he also showed good vision and played a number of good passes as well in the second half.

Ran into dead ends and also got in the way of two decent chances as well though, probably from over eagerness.

Smith 5.5 - Kicking was pretty good when it went to plan. Flapped at a few crosses and think he could have done better for the second goal. Should never have been thrown in, in hindsight... Doesn't look quite ready yet.

White 5 - Hoofs almost every ball down the field... whether it's by instruction from PB or not; it just doesn't work. Cassidy and Pigott are not the type of players that require these types of balls.
Thompson 7 - My MOTM today. Didn't really put a foot wrong, and looked 10x better than JBW.
Williams 3 - An embarrassing performance from him. His pass succession rate will have been lucky to have gone over 0% at any point in the game.
Coker 6 - Looked our only chance of decent wing play until Worrall came on. Unlucky to have been subbed and he wasn't happy in the slightest. Refused to shake the coaching staff's hands.

Leonard 5 - Another poor game from Lenny. When will the Leonard of old return?!
Atkinson 6 - Got stuck in and has looked a lot better in recent games. Plenty of energy, but a few misplaced passes at times.
Timlin 6 - Very similar to Atkinson today... Not a good performance, not a bad one either.
Payne 6 - Attacked well at times and does have that drive that we need when going forward. Looked like the only way our strikers were going to receive any service.

Pigott 5 - I feel this rating isn't that accurate, as it's hard to judge a striker when the ball is smashed to their heads every time. Looked a bit tired at times today.. Not the same energy as in recent games.
Cassidy 5 - Think he is getting frustrated very quickly with the lack of service. He would score goals given the right opportunities... We're not playing to either of our strikers' strengths.

Corr 6 - Can always count on Barry for a desperate headed goal. If we insist on pumping the ball in the air... Corr is the right forward to play.
Hurst 5 - Looked more energetic than in recent weeks. Put a fair amount of effort in... Not many key pieces of play to note, though.
Worrall 6 - We have to start him next week. We look far too narrow without him... Slight increase in the amount of chances created when he came on... Will be better if he gets 90 mins next week.

Ref - 6 - Can't blame him for our poor performance. Some dodgy decisions, and not entirely sure he had control of the Accrington time-wasting.

Atmosphere - 2 - At an all time low today... Not surprised due to the slop on display, but I genuinely thought the 32 Accrington fans were going to make more noise than us at times today!!

Ah. It's good to see Shrimperzone back to normal service. One loss after 10 unbeaten , still in the playoffs and everyone's useless and the manager should be sacked. :hilarious:

Everything about the football on show this season is boring,we are so narrow it's untrue.Brown has spent too much time with.his mate allardyce and loves a 1nil if he can get one.lts promotion or bust for him this year.

Ah. It's good to see Shrimperzone back to normal service. One loss after 10 unbeaten , still in the playoffs and everyone's useless and the manager should be sacked. :hilarious:

#ficklefans

This week we had a thread saying is this our year, now we after one defeat in 11 games some are saying we have no chance.

Certainly a bi-polar lot arent we :smile:

Lets not kid ourselves with a few exceptions the footie served up at roots hall this season has been utter dross

Back