• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Post-Match Thread and Ratings Southend United 1 - 3 Eastleigh

In Blondys defence he was signed as a backup to two keepers who are more than good enough at this level.

He came here to gain experience of being around a first team squad and is learning and actually improving.

It's not his fault that Arnie has had a back problem all season or that Colin did a hamstring doing sprints in training.

I agree with a lot of the above but as an alternative I will go for some positives.

Harry Cardwell - looking sharp and way more direct than he’s looked before. I’m wondering if a certain former England international may have been having a word with him…

Jack Bridge - scares the living daylights out of most full backs. Playing out of his skin at the moment.

Ollie Kensdale - given a real chance this season and looks better by the week. Absolute class at the back today.

Positive football - essentially we are not Eastleigh/Boreham Wood/insert big aggressive sides name here. We attempt to play proper front foot football which I genuinely believe is the key to getting out of this division. We just need a little more nous but we are a young squad.

Management team - nothing negative here for me. Playing the right type of football with a young exciting squad. Don’t lose faith.

I take it you didn't attend the game then because once again he gifted the other team but with 2 goals this time.

The sooner we get he others back the better because Blondy is a complete and utter liability.
read the the post brother - 'don't just blame Blondie' - I did attend the game sunshine -- happy keyboard warrior day 👍

I genuinely believe that if we hadn't conceded that 3rd goal, we would have snatched a draw, as, at that time, our tails were really up. Sadly it was not to be as the heads went down and the crowd lost interest.

I don't believe we were as bad as some suggest, but we certainly didn't have plan B once they sussed Jack Bridge. Maybe if Gus Scott-Morris had started we would have had more 'outs' down the right, but it is what it is. You win as a team, you lose as a team. I would certainly start either Murphy or Hyde and Hobson next time out with Powell and Ralph having a little rest.

As for us lot in the crowd, the team need our backing more than ever now, so sheds more ' Come on Southend' as loud as possible please.

Pure, unadulterated dog ****.

Had the feeling of off-the-pitch issues starting to grind them down. Just didn't seem to be at the races and they wanted it more until they scored their second and we decided to up the tempo a bit.

Despite admirable desire, Eastleigh are the poorest team I've seen us lose to since our relegation from the EFL. The playacting, diving, timewasting from the minute they scored was a joke, and the 'keeper faking an injury so Bradbury could give a team talk was painful. Desperately wanted Kev to just chin the **** on the touchline to be honest. Add to that one of the poorest display from officials you're likely to see and some truly unbelievable decisions, and it felt like everything was against us.

That being said, we didn't deserve anything. We totally lacked any guile, inventiveness and quality in the final third.

Spare me any calls about Blondy occasionally making a decent save. That's his bread and butter. In every other aspect of his game, he is consistently costing us and he's cost us 2 goals today. If we do still need a loan 'keeper, does it have to be him? Or can we send him packing and get someone else in? Failing that, would giving Fin Purcell a go really yield worst results than playing Blondy is at the moment?

I also think Ralph is due dropping. I don't know whether it's some attempt to keep him happy, but shoehorning him at any cost is driving me mad. Bridge is a better option at LWB and Lopata, Kensdale, Hobson are all better options at CB. "Balance" with a left-footer is a myth in this particular situation because both Kensdale and Lomas have proven that they're perfectly comfortable in the left-sided CB role. He just looks like he has some mistakes in him, he's cost us a goal or two with them since coming back into the team and he's cost us another one today.

Is Husin offering anything? Why not give Fonguck a go today, even if coming on as a sub. Some of Bridge's best form has come with Fonguck on the left side of CM, pushing up and supporting him down the left flank. That's not to mention his driving runs into the final third, which was another staple of our long unbeaten run.

Just feels like ever since that loss up at Gateshead in November to end the winning run, the baby has been thrown out with the bathwater with regards to team selection. Go back to what was working so well during that long run. Kensdale, Lopata and Hobbo at CB, Fonguck instead of Husin in CM.

Don't know the solution up front. Powell doesn't seem the same player with Cardwell next to him. Cardwell is bagging some goals but we go high and long more often with him on the pitch and it doesn't play to Powell's strengths. Powell playing off the shoulder of the last defender and sprinting onto balls forward seems to be out the window with Cardwell in the team, so that needs some thinking about.
I’ve got to say I agree on Ralph. I hate, really hate calling out individuals but the bloke has been in how many relegation sides?! Play to our strengths and stop trying to accommodate Ralph. I won’t say any more about Blondy, we need our two lads back ASAP. I’m also not going to moan about the ref, we know the refs are **** in the NL, we should’ve played better. End of story.

read the the post brother - 'don't just blame Blondie' - I did attend the game sunshine -- happy keyboard warrior day 👍
No keyboard warrior here sunshine, just can't understand how you cannot see that our keeper gifted them 2 goals today.

I’ve got to say I agree on Ralph. I hate, really hate calling out individuals but the bloke has been in how many relegation sides?! Play to our strengths and stop trying to accommodate Ralph. I won’t say any more about Blondy, we need our two lads back ASAP. I’m also not going to moan about the ref, we know the refs are **** in the NL, we should’ve played better. End of story.
Yeah agreed. I just don't think he quite fits in at the moment. Like I said, I feel like the Gateshead result was overreacted to when it was likely a blip, and its no wonder we've struggled to regain our rhythm since then because for some reason Kev hasn't gone back to the starting 11 that served us so well during that period. With the exception maybe of Cardwell (and GK) I'd be rewinding on team selection. Hobson and Fonguck back in please.

February is going to horrible for us. Lots of games at home on a pitch that looks like a WWII Battlefield. Off the pitch issues are clearly affecting us and it's only going to get worse. I wouldn't be surprised if get fewer than 3 wins in the month. Followed by a 12 point deduction.

Eastleigh are ****. We're ****. Refs were ****.

Blondy needs to go back to Stoke. A liability every week. If we extend him he HAS to play due to embargo rules I heard

We're ****ed. Potentially only one month left as a club. I'm worried
Other than that, everything else ok?

Our general play wasn’t that bad, but equally not good enough to overcome individual mistakes.

I can’t bring myself to work out how many points the goalkeeping situation has cost us this season. Having young lads learn their trade is great and all that, but if we have aspirations of making the playoffs (which I assume we have) then we need better - no prizes for guessing where the fault lies there.

And for all our good approach play, how many saves did their keeper have to make? I make it nil.

did I say he didn't? - read the post my little ray of sunshine
I did read your post and I'm telling you he was to blame for our loss today end of story.

Go and have a beer or something and calm yourself down kid.

I did read your post and I'm telling you he was to blame for our loss today end of story.

Go and have a beer or something and calm yourself down kid.
thanks walnuts - this kid is now having a lie down - must be the end of story then - FACT:ROFL:

Off the field issues aside we haven't been the same team since Colin wrecked his hamstring. We really miss the confidence a decent keeper brings and Blondy has to be the worst goal keeper I've seen since football was invented. It can't be any worse than playing the youth goalie - we have had some decent goalies come through in recent times, Bishop, Bentley, Smith wasn't bad

Think people need to remember Blondy is our 3rd choice keeper.

Yes he should have saved the 3rd. But lets not forget we let Eastleigh play it out from their own corner flag to near enough the edge of our penalty box virtually unchallenged.

Back