• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

"every ball into the box was meat and drink for their huge defence."

TBBM (The Bloke Behind Me) shouted out "Don't give it to him! Yes, that 6'3" giant in red!" which summed up most of our crosses.

Think some of you were watching a different game to me. Whilst I too thought that JD was our MoM the next best for me was Cox. Yes he often dropped into midfield to pick up the ball / link the play (No 10) but he had obviously been instructed to in order that we didn't get overrun in midfield. Few teams play with two out and out forwards these days. His passing, work-rate and hold up play was first class and I though he was back to his best. Sure he needs a goal but so does Ranger, Robinson et al. However the way we are set up to play I suspect it is the likes of Wordsworth, Macca, Kightly and now hopefully Wright who are often going to be on the end of things form set pieces, knock downs and arriving late into the box. Wouldn't mind betting that one of those four ends up being our top scorer this season. Cox won't be far behind though. For the record I agree that Kyprianou looks a better prospect at CB - and I know he was up against Revell at times yesterday - but I can't remember Harry winning a header. That is an area he needs to work in rather than being congratulated for it. He is much more comfortable with the ball at his feet and will probably be better suited for the moment to playing alongside Turner when fit who CAN win more than his fair share of aerial challenges. Saying that Anton was much better yesterday.

Lots of interesting comments. in there Bretty. I agree with you on Cox, his hard work and intelligent positioning are often ignored or missed and that is mainly down to his current goal draught. Again, I also agree that Kyprianou needs more training ground work on his defensive heading, but there again Anton won bugger all in the air in the first half. One of the things that has impressed me about Elvis is his heading capability. He has seldom been beaten in the air in the games I've seen him play. Our youngsters have really stepped up to the mark during this injury period. None of them are the finished product but they are a sign that our youth production line is now delivering.

We often have a guy on the front post who's job is to win the ball if they can and head it away, but if they can't they drop back and guard the post. Leonard has done it plenty, Ranger was doing that job today. Usually does it well

Well, this might explain why I'm not a manager, but don't you put a full back on each post and the BIG TALL BLOKE on the edge of the 6 yard box to head it away?

We've got to be happy with the point given the terrible first half performance. We do need to turn some of these draws into wins sharpish though. Have to agree Demi had a great game and was my MOM - Leonard wasn't up to his usual high standard IMHO. Thought Timlin had a mare and gifts the opposition so much possession and always gets booked.

Can't believe Revs is still a League One striker. He was always so poor for us but always tried his heart out.

Fancy us to nick a win at Fleetwood next week. It's about time we won there!

"every ball into the box was meat and drink for their huge defence."

TBBM (The Bloke Behind Me) shouted out "Don't give it to him! Yes, that 6'3"giant in red!" which summed up most of our crosses.

Any reason the giant in red ended up in blue on here Rob?

8 League games in, 9 goals scored and only 1 from a Forward (and that was debatable!). Says it all really.

Also only Oldham and Bristol Rovers have conceded more than us.............still we now have a new Midfielder!

Cox's goal famine should not be a surprise. Apart from his purple patch at Swindon, back in 2007-2009, he has never been a heavy goalscorer, his return of last season being an exception when you look at his record over the years. Our other forwards also have poor goals to games ratios. The stats do not lie. Unless Wordsworth and Wright weigh in with double figures we are in for a season of struggle, quite apart from our obvious defensive frailties which will still exist even when the walking wounded return. A midtable side at best, on the evidence so far.

Those same stats show he always score a lot of goals at every season playing in league 1 so your point doesn't work. He started off last season slowly too then scored a load...and for the same reason. Not fit enough at the start.

Pre Swindon three league one goals in 22 games. Swindon was a long time ago, nearly 8 years since he left them. His two seasons there were exceptionally prolific which was why he was sought after by bigger clubs but he never really reproduced that form anywhere else. Most of the time at Swindon he was partnered by Billy Paynter, who at only 33, perhaps could be persuaded to return to Roots Hall to rekindle that magic.

Pre Swindon three league one goals in 22 games. Swindon was a long time ago, nearly 8 years since he left them. His two seasons there were exceptionally prolific which was why he was sought after by bigger clubs but he never really reproduced that form anywhere else. Most of the time at Swindon he was partnered by Billy Paynter, who at only 33, perhaps could be persuaded to return to Roots Hall to rekindle that magic.
That's the kind of stuff nightmares are made of.

I think Demi was MOM. I really think his performance was an example of the importance of having other players pushing players for their place. Elvis's positive performances look like they have given Demi a kick up the backside. He now knows if he isn't doing the business, then the manager will have no hesitation in putting Elvis in. It's something he probably didn't have to contemplate before.

Wright's signing will ultimately pressure others in midfield now too, which can only be a good thing.

I think Demi was MOM. I really think his performance was an example of the importance of having other players pushing players for their place. Elvis's positive performances look like they have given Demi a kick up the backside. He now knows if he isn't doing the business, then the manager will have no hesitation in putting Elvis in. It's something he probably didn't have to contemplate before.

Wright's signing will ultimately pressure others in midfield now too, which can only be a good thing.

Agree with you.....Elvis's recent performances have got Demi all shook up :smile:

cant agree with you about Ranger, their number 5 had him in his pocket. Dont remember Ranger winning a header of note, in fact we thought he was poor.

Really?

The more ore the game went on, the more Ranger got in to the game. He won numerous headers with no one picking up his flick ons. The number 5 must have not checked his pocket after half time, as the pressure exerted by Ranger directly led to Woody's goal.
Opinions eh !

Here's a quote from a Northampton fans forum:

"Taylor - Did very well against Nile Ranger who seemed to have snuck some springs into his boots"

Thought Ranger win nearly every header in the 2nd half and couldn't understand why nobody was gambling and in their ties ready to pick up the flick ons. Cox was always miles away from Rangwr and only reacted after the header was won. These two need to get a partnership going quickly. Every player who plays along side Ranger should always assume he is going to win the header and be already moving not react afterwards. As for saying Ranger didn't win any headers all I can say was you watching the same match he won 9 out of 10.

"As for saying Ranger didn't win any headers all I can say was you watching the same match he won 9 out of 10."

No, he didn't. He was regularly beaten in the air.

Back