• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

As I am unable to get to any matches I'm not sure how qualified I am to make comments.....But, have a look at all the match stats. Look at how many shots we have on goal compared to our opponents. Often we have had a LOT more. So, does that mean the desire is there but we need, I don't know, maybe a bit more self belief? I still think we have a team who will become really feared by others. COYB!

Pre Swindon three league one goals in 22 games. Swindon was a long time ago, nearly 8 years since he left them. His two seasons there were exceptionally prolific which was why he was sought after by bigger clubs but he never really reproduced that form anywhere else. Most of the time at Swindon he was partnered by Billy Paynter, who at only 33, perhaps could be persuaded to return to Roots Hall to rekindle that magic.
Maybe when his a little older!

Was at a wedding yest so missed the game haven't seen or heard anything about the pitch how did it play? Is it getting better?

As I am unable to get to any matches I'm not sure how qualified I am to make comments.....But, have a look at all the match stats. Look at how many shots we have on goal compared to our opponents. Often we have had a LOT more. So, does that mean the desire is there but we need, I don't know, maybe a bit more self belief? I still think we have a team who will become really feared by others. COYB!

I think it's pressure. If you watch most of our shots it tends to be on the basis of hit it as hard as you can. Timlin, Leonard, Cox particularly guilty... even Hendrie yesterday. No suprise the coolest man on the pitch makes it look easy - Wordsworth. Note how Crooks stroked it into the corner.. Timlin would have cleared the flats.
Once we start to get some points we will probably ease up and everything will start going in naturally.

Was at a wedding yest so missed the game haven't seen or heard anything about the pitch how did it play? Is it getting better?

Nowhere near as many divots, but in the second half Mr Timlin got the A1 arse ache after scuffing a shot and showed, that with a little effort, he could kick bloody great lumps of our turf up in the air. To be fair he did stick them back down. Moral of that is it probably needs a few more weeks of deep rooting.

Nowhere near as many divots, but in the second half Mr Timlin got the A1 arse ache after scuffing a shot and showed, that with a little effort, he could kick bloody great lumps of our turf up in the air. To be fair he did stick them back down. Moral of that is it probably needs a few more weeks of deep rooting.

God knows how it will cope with two home games in a week in just over a weeks time! Embarrassing is an understatement when referring to the pitch.

"As for saying Ranger didn't win any headers all I can say was you watching the same match he won 9 out of 10."

No, he didn't. He was regularly beaten in the air.

Indeed, as most people would be against Leon Barnett and Ash Taylor.

Defenders are always favourite when meeting a high ball coming towards them. Ranger won more than his fair share.

Anyway, it was what he did when the ball was at his feet that really made the difference.

Defenders are always favourite when meeting a high ball coming towards them. Ranger won more than his fair share.

Anyway, it was what he did when the ball was at his feet that really made the difference.

most notably for Northampton's first goal :winking:

Last edited:

..in that case. the tactic is at fault. I wasn't slating Ranger, if the ball is aimed at the moon there's not a lot he can do.

Regardless if he won headers, his very involvement lead to the Wordsworth goal ! You don't need to win headers, to make a difference. Ranger jumps well and actually doesn't foul much, therefore, the defenders headers aren't always cleared. With that, if you press high enough, which Wordsworth does, you can pick the ball up ... the important thing for me is jumping as a nuisance without fouling, this is Ranger.

I've been going since 2001, and I cannot remember:
  • A funnier and more pathetic red card,
  • A worse looking Roots Hall pitch,
  • A worse chant than Northampton chanting, "We're winning 1-0...". Genuinely the least amount of creativity in a chant ever.

I think it was a strange feeling when we walked out the ground. If those two goals had come in the 85th+ min it'd felt like win. The game just seemed to die out after we bought it back and we didn't really make the keeper produce saves. It was good to see WW playing again and Ranger looked fitter once more vs some very tall CBs.

A point on Phil Brown - I'm never going to be his biggest fan and I think this is something that divides fans, but he has improved us with every season. HOWEVER tactically we were woeful first half. We were almost playing a 442 with a LM and three CMs, leaving JD on the right hand side on his own all whilst benching our LB in favour of a CM?! And dropping Elvis who hadn't been playing badly?! I'm intrigued to see where Josh Wright fits into the side, can't see him replacing Lenny or WW...

Good piece, pretty much on the money. Our weaknesses from set pieces, attacking and defending, have been there for years.

What's worse is that everybody knows it but yet nothing seems to of been done about.

Tony Bullock, Macclesfield, around that time, perhaps a shade before.

Whipped his goalie top off, made out as if he was taking off his shorts too, thumped a ball in to the East Stand and hit a fan. An absolute classic of the genre.

(November 2000 by the way)

Good piece, pretty much on the money. Our weaknesses from set pieces, attacking and defending, have been there for years.

Yeah, he knows his stuff and is also pretty analytical as his job is all about picking decent value bets. No axe to grind, just telling it as he sees it.

Whipped his goalie top off, made out as if he was taking off his shorts too, thumped a ball in to the East Stand and hit a fan. An absolute classic of the genre.

(November 2000 by the way)

That's the one. It was almost 17 years ago now (christ) but I am pretty sure I will remember it until my dying day. Off the charts in terms of comedy red cards.

Back