• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

The reason why we lasted one season at the Championship, it's cos of Tilson poor transfer dealing in the summer & getting loan players in mid season is the reason why we went down. PB have contacts in the games & he would find couple of gems on loan or prem' deals & upgrades on what we got, to give us an fighting chances & he have experiences of managing in Championship level.

First game I've managed to get to this year. Bloody enjoyed it and I seem to see a disproportionate number of Southend 3-0 wins. My last game was Col Ewe at home and before that Coventry at home!

Ted - 6.5 - Looked assured. Didn't have to do too much. Was keen not to make a mistake in the first half and his distribution was cautious. Confidence came in the second half and he set up a few attacks.

Demi - 6.5 - Looks like the kind of player that you know what you're getting with?

Ferdinand - 7.5 - Commanding and professional. Really irons out those set-pieces.

Thompson - 7 - Ferdinand Lite

Timlin - 6.5 - Keen to win the ball back when he lost it, but lost it a few too many times. Very tenacious and should be remembered he's not a left back. Some great cross-field balls.

McLaughlin - 7 - A real improvement on the player he was when I last watched him and had a good game.

Leonard - 7.5 - Ran lots. Tracked back. Will to win. Impressive.

Atkinson - 7 - Again, I probably could have given you my rating of Atkinson before the game. You know what you're getting.

Wordsworth - 7.5 - Seems to be in his element having the intelligence of Cox and MAF in-front of him. Excellent touches and passing.

MAF - 8 MOTM - :Worthy::Worthy::Worthy: 35 years old with intelligence and play-read to match and yet charging down and playing like a 19 year old desperate to break into the team. Brilliant. A little silly at the end with that scuffle with the Dons player but nice to see the belly fire occasionally.

Cox - 8 - Two superb finishes. Plays the right ball at the right time and others around him seem to thrive with him in the team. Really enjoyed watching him.

Ref - Thought he did well. Got the standard number of throw-ins wrong so no complaints there. Wimbledon went 1-0 down and realised it may not be there day, found their scapegoat quickly (hence the manager send-off, player send-off, laughably unfoundable "you're not fit to referee chants", etc.)

We went down twice in two years......

Does that happen every time then?

People are boring on here. We are 11 unbeaten....why are we discussing the negatives IF a massive season happens and we go up?

Onwards and upwards.

Well done Southend keep this up and I will start wanting brown to stay :-)

The reason why we lasted one season at the Championship, it's cos of Tilson poor transfer dealing in the summer & getting loan players in mid season is the reason why we went down. PB have contacts in the games & he would find couple of gems on loan or prem' deals & upgrades on what we got, to give us an fighting chances & he have experiences of managing in Championship level.

And we didn't have a pot to **** in or a window to throw it out off. Hence loan players rather than new signings. Anyway, we are going great guns at the mo so enjoy the ride. Its a good time to be a shrimper.

Does that happen every time then?

People are boring on here. We are 11 unbeaten....why are we discussing the negatives IF a massive season happens and we go up?

Onwards and upwards.

I don't want to argue, I'm just expressing my concern when we go up (and I do believe we will). We can't sustain a wage bill to remain in the Championship through gate receipts at Roots Hall.

My question to you is, do you think Roots Hall is a comfortable, clean and welcoming environment to entice more fans? That's a serious question, without sounding patronising.

This thread is just so painfully Shrimperzone it's unbelievable. We won 3-0 on Boxing Day!

Hideous start to the season -> Negativity / Brown Out
25 points from 33 available -> Promotion a certainty (?!)
Promotion a certainty notion -> We don't have what it takes for the Championship. We don't want to go up. Yadda yadda.

It's painful to read.

A very good team performance.
A cracking first half where we bossed it and with some cooler finishing we could have gone in 4 nil. Cox took his goal from Lennie long throw SO well. ,MacL, Atko and Demitreau got in a few times but either were well saved or fluffed their shots BUT full marks for them getting up there. Fortune was immense, worked and bossed many many situations without getting any half chances for himself- some may nit pick that he doesn't score enough BUT with him others certainly get the chances.
the back four and midfield did what we are used to seeing them do over the last 10 games.
Ted Smith made good save first half and better save at the start of second half.
Ref was ok, played advantage well. He (and his assistants) missed elbow off ball on Fortune and wallop from Fuller (2) on MacL.
joint M of M of Cox and Fortune.
UTB!

I don't want to argue, I'm just expressing my concern when we go up (and I do believe we will). We can't sustain a wage bill to remain in the Championship through gate receipts at Roots Hall.

My question to you is, do you think Roots Hall is a comfortable, clean and welcoming environment to entice more fans? That's a serious question, without sounding patronising.

Its a **** question...of course Roots Hall is pony. But I like it. We do need to move but I'd rather not wait about until we get a new ground to continue to progress.

Anyways, enjoy the rest of the season.

Maybe ill consider returning to england if we get promoted.

Its a **** question...of course Roots Hall is pony. But I like it. We do need to move but I'd rather not wait about until we get a new ground to continue to progress.

Anyways, enjoy the rest of the season.

Maybe ill consider returning to england if we get promoted.

Ok thank you.

Unfortunately this is true. Momentum can get you through a season punching above your weight but to become established in the championship we need the right facilities and an average 12k / 14k-plus home gate which I think we'd get in a new modern ground. It's not that long ago Reading were like us. Look at them now. They have to be our bench-mark. I'm sure RM is trying to make it happen but if he fails again you can't see us lasting any more than a year or two tops in the Championship should we get there.
Brentford ..Bournemouth didn't stop them getting established two worst grounds.

That doesn't lead to relegation to League 2 though, far smaller teams than us have been in the championship without financial problems. The problem last time was we handed out long contracts without relegation clauses, Ron will know not to do that again so if we did go straight back down we'd be fine.

Three shining performances for me. Fortune I raved about on the match thread, sublime touches, strength and a positioning masterclass. Atkiinson was the pick of the midfield, quietly effective. Ferdinand a head of supreme calmness at the back. We werent winning all the headers but marshalled the back four superbly.

Another great result, very impressive 1st half display. Early goal settled us and we started to dominate the possession. Fortune was superb, showed some neat intelligent touches, despite his 35 years he was quick on and off the ball and caused the the Wombles defence some major problems, worked well with Cox too with some excellent link up play. One of the best performances from Coxy, rewarded with 2 well taken goals, didn't stop running all game. Well worth our 2 goal H/T lead.

As previously seen we started the 2nd half lethargically, giving too many balls away in the middle third (Atko, Tims, Lenny guilty parties IIRC), Anton and Thompson looked solid at the back, with the former vocal as usual in organising the back 4 as the visitors pushed to get a goal back. Wombles pushed forward and were getting fired up (they have a lot of big physical players - their no.9 was huge!) and becoming more physical culminating in them going down to 10 men - which basically killed the game for them, great 2nd for Cox to make it 3... didn't catch the Fortune incident but clearly he was caught by one of their players, leading to him going nuts and Thompson having to physically restrain him, well done to PB for quickly subbing him - to a well deserved standing ovation. Also pleased for young Ted, good solid performance - especially under pressure in the start of the 2nd half.

Scores:
8.5's - Cox (2 great goals, could have had 3!) Fortune (always a threat, quick and determined)
8's - McLaughlin (creative force, linked well with Fortune) Ferdinand (capt. fantastic as usual) Thompson (solid performance), Smith (confident, mature display - never really troubled)
7.5's - Wordsworth (usual woody) Atkinson (good 1st, quiet 2nd), Demitriou (good going fwd, bit sloppy at the back at times) Timlin (tenacious tackling, lost the ball cheaply a couple of times) Lenny (see Tims..)

MotM - MAF by a whisker over Coxy (And we worried about not having Nile!)

Cant wait for the Charlton game :-)

Late Gills equaliser at Peterborough leaves us in a play-off place:smile:................but it buggers up my prediction league wild card.:'( Oh well, what's the most important?:winking:

Another great result, very impressive 1st half display. Early goal settled us and we started to dominate the possession. Fortune was superb, showed some neat intelligent touches, despite his 35 years he was quick on and off the ball and caused the the Wombles defence some major problems, worked well with Cox too with some excellent link up play. One of the best performances from Coxy, rewarded with 2 well taken goals, didn't stop running all game. Well worth our 2 goal H/T lead.

As previously seen we started the 2nd half lethargically, giving too many balls away in the middle third (Atko, Tims, Lenny guilty parties IIRC), Anton and Thompson looked solid at the back, with the former vocal as usual in organising the back 4 as the visitors pushed to get a goal back. Wombles pushed forward and were getting fired up (they have a lot of big physical players - their no.9 was huge!) and becoming more physical culminating in them going down to 10 men - which basically killed the game for them, great 2nd for Cox to make it 3... didn't catch the Fortune incident but clearly he was caught by one of their players, leading to him going nuts and Thompson having to physically restrain him, well done to PB for quickly subbing him - to a well deserved standing ovation. Also pleased for young Ted, good solid performance - especially under pressure in the start of the 2nd half.

Scores:
8.5's - Cox (2 great goals, could have had 3!) Fortune (always a threat, quick and determined)
8's - McLaughlin (creative force, linked well with Fortune) Ferdinand (capt. fantastic as usual) Thompson (solid performance), Smith (confident, mature display - never really troubled)
7.5's - Wordsworth (usual woody) Atkinson (good 1st, quiet 2nd), Demitriou (good going fwd, bit sloppy at the back at times) Timlin (tenacious tackling, lost the ball cheaply a couple of times) Lenny (see Tims..)

MotM - MAF by a whisker over Coxy (And we worried about not having Nile!)

Cant wait for the Charlton game :-)

I'd be more worried about not having Cox. It seems Cox compliments both Ranger and Fortune. If this is so then surely he is the key player up front. There for it is important to ensure that Cox is fit and available with either Ranger or Fortune fit and available playing alongside him. I don't think that it 'works' playing Ranger and Fortune alongside each other.

Overall superb first half, slightly less so second. Again.
I felt that Brown should have made at least one or two subs fairly early in the second half to help us kick on again. Very happy with the win so this is just nitpicking but i'll do it anyway. They started the second half well for 10 minutes, Smith made a big claim for a free kick that knocked the wind out of them a bit. Then we killed it at the end but we left it to drift in the second half.

Smith 8 some excellent saves. He wasn't overly commanding in the first half but claimed a free kick after about 55 minutes that was very impressive and he started to command his area more. Best game yet, more credit to Lee Harrison?

Demetriou - 7 played well overall. Provided width and attacking thrush. Good pace and industry, seemed like he had a £5 on himself to score but couldn't finish in a whorehouse today. Great chances though. Defended well and played almost as a wingback so can't do everything.

Thompson - 8 he's improved so much. He attacks the ball much more now and is so much more commanding. He's now calm and assured, a totally different player to previously.

Ferdinand - 8 defends well, other than that one back header that Smith had to save well from. He's decent on the ball and a wise head in defence.

Timlin - 8 he's not a left back but i don't think he lost a duel today. he tackled really well and didn't get caught out of position as much. Played some lovely passes and got forward well. Our midfield can get a bit narrow so the full backs need to provide width and he's still learning when to go and when to stay to play that particular role.

Atkinson - 8 usual in that he was absolutely everywhere and did everything, including score. Does get a bit narrow which can hurt our attacking play but we overload in the middle and his work gives the likes of Wordsworth licence.

Leonard - 8 such a superb player for me. his defensive work in unreal. his pace and recovery, his tackling and interceptions are ace. His work on the ball is not as good but if they were he'd probably be Premier League. The fact that he puts in such a shift and never gets booked shows how well he does this job.

Wordsworth 7 worked his socks off today. His vision was good and he didn't make his mark on the game the way he has recently but he worked hard and his vision and appreciation of space shows even when he has an average game.

McLaughlin - 7 worked unbelievably hard again. Sometimes his wing play does suffer as a result of his defensive shifts but he does work hard. He drifts in to the middle a little too much for me but this season his output has been superb in terms of goals and assists so can't argue with that. he had a few shooting chances today and was unlucky not to score.

Cox - 9 superb work rate, touches, vision, appreciation of space, holding the ball up for the team. All excellent. and two goals so complete performance.

Fortune - 9. Worked so hard for the team. He creates chances for the team out of nothing with his work rate. he holds the ball up so well, can get the ball anywhere and hold on to it. Couldn't finish a pint today but such superb work for the team

Sub - McGlashen n/a didn't have enough time to make an impact

I'd be more worried about not having Cox. It seems Cox compliments both Ranger and Fortune. If this is so then surely he is the key player up front. There for it is important to ensure that Cox is fit and available with either Ranger or Fortune fit and available playing alongside him. I don't think that it 'works' playing Ranger and Fortune alongside each other.

Bradford might disagree with that

I hope people take this comment as being positive ............

............ but is anyone else like me and pleased to see a good win without Nile Ranger in the team?

I hope people take this comment as being positive ............

............ but is anyone else like me and pleased to see a good win without Nile Ranger in the team?

I agree mate, you can't win anything being heavily reliant on 'one man' - we proved today w/o Nile that we now have some strength in depth of being able switch to Cox/MAF and to great effect, Really impressive today !

IMHO any combo of Cox/Nile/MAF will be a threat. The other encouraging factor today is Ted ! Must admit I was worried before the game but he can step up as cover for the Ox

Back