• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

I just love going to games at the moment :smile:

Quick thought, will Ranger get back in the team after Fortune and Cox performances? I thought they were both outstanding.

We have three games coming up in seven days. They will all need to be managed and run.

First game for ages.

We took our seats and hoped for decent stuff from the blue boys and were duly rewarded with the first half ,non stop running from everyone with Marc just edging it,Coxy looked far sharper from the previous games I've seen ,his second goal was jaw dropping.

First time I've seen Ferdy and he really impressed us,he reads it so well whilst organising those around him,I think he gave Ted confidence which resulted in Smithy growing in stature.

Brilliant first half....second half was flat but hey who cares.

If Marc could score and was 5 years younger ,he would be worth millions.

We wrapped up a brilliant day by winning a few quid at the Westcliff....good times.

First game for ages.

We took our seats and hoped for decent stuff from the blue boys and were duly rewarded with the first half ,non stop running from everyone with Marc just edging it,Coxy looked far sharper from the previous games I've seen ,his second goal was jaw dropping.

First time I've seen Ferdy and he really impressed us,he reads it so well whilst organising those around him,I think he gave Ted confidence which resulted in Smithy growing in stature.

Brilliant first half....second half was flat but hey who cares.

If Marc could score and was 5 years younger ,he would be worth millions.

We wrapped up a brilliant day by winning a few quid at the Westcliff....good times.

welcome back !

Hats off to shot shy Cox, and what a first half.... we must have had 70 plus % possession (apart from the last 5 mins, we lost it a little) I thought Fortune was great, and I said this to people, don't give him headers, he won't win them, the chest and feet...the guy is one of the best at trapping and holdup I have seen for a long time at the hall.

The second half was a diffent game, we were a little deeper, I don't understand Cox, his chip was brilliant, but why when he is through on goal does he pass, I was in a good position to see in the second half, he should have taken a crack, he passsed it to Fortune. I hope the goals give him a boost, and he takes more chances, as he could have had 3...... taking a crack proves what happens, as a few shots to their keeper were spilled.....take a punt.

what a great win, against a team that had scored 4 the previous game, well done.

Man of the match Every single player in a blue shirt .Every player did his bit . When the team was called out there was a little worry that Ted was in goal but hey ho he had little to do but what he did he did well its a 10 for every player long may it last .

Exactly right. I always thought Brown was too negative at home but over the past few months he has been positive in team selection and it is paying dividends. You have to let the likes of Cox, Ranger (Fortune today), Wordsworth and McLaughlin express themselves and Brown is allowing them to do that. Ferdinand has been colossal in the back four and we are reaping the rewards from front to back. Brown has done a magnificent job recently and credit to Ron for sticking with him while many (me included) were calling for his sacking. An awful lot has changed and that new-found positivity in team selection and formation has undoubtedly saved Brown's job. Looking good for the play-offs if we can keep key players fit. :thumbsup:

in order to be able to express themselves they have to be fit and available - something they weren't in the first couple of months of the season. As a few of us were saying at the time, while many were losing their heads, it was only then you could judge the manager and thankfully the Board were of the same opinion. I reiterate. A lot was made of team selection and approach but you had to factor in who was available. 4 out of the 5 players you mention above were not and with the window as it is there was precious little the club (and the fans) could do other than ride it out. Which we have.

I think he got fouled in the build up to cox's 2nd goal and I've read some posts saying he possibly got elbowed

What happened that wound Fortune up?

He got elbowed in the face when steaming past the defender. He wanted to reciprocate said action. Thank God Thompson was there to stop him.The defender knew exactly what he was doing, could of been another red.

He got elbowed in the face when steaming past the defender. He wanted to reciprocate said action. Thank God Thompson was there to stop him.The defender knew exactly what he was doing, could of been another red.
Same old Wimbledon, direct style of play, physical, dirty. They reminded me of Stevenage from a couple of seasons back. If they are considered one of the better sides in this division then we have no worries.

Felt sorry for Fortune, as he had such a fantastic game, only to be marred by one of the thug wombles - and blind eyed officials, surely one of the four must have seen the incident?

UTBs

Just seen the highlights and that Wimbledon player should get bloody arrested for what he did to Fortune. Well off the ball, player changed his path to full on elbow him in the face.

Just seen the highlights and that Wimbledon player should get bloody arrested for what he did to Fortune. Well off the ball, player changed his path to full on elbow him in the face.
I hope the ref refers it to the FA for post match charging then.

He was gutted to be subbed off. He was gunning to get back at the guy who elbowed him in the face. Very good management by Brown there.

He was gutted to be subbed off. He was gunning to get back at the guy who elbowed him in the face. Very good management by Brown there.

I don't think it was very good management at all. It was a nailed on obvious decision that any manager would have made. We were 3-0 up with 5 minutes to go and the red mist had descended following an off the ball forearm smash that Mick McManus would have been proud of. It was a no brainer to get him off before he retaliated. Well done to Thomo for restraining him. I do hope the FA look at the video of the incident and hand out retrospective punishment because it was an assault in anyone's language. Having said that, Fortune and Cox ran them rugged all afternoon and were easily the best players on the park on the day. I was pleased that Fortune got the standing ovation that he so richly deserved when he reluctantly came off. Even if Ranger was fit, I would start the next match with the same 2 up front and give Ranger a bit more time to fully recover especially as we have Swindon away 2 days after the Charlton game. We've then got 3 home games on the bounce. Now is the right time to get some useful points on the board and push towards the auto places.

Fortune was still angry after the final whistle, and it looked like he was waiting at the tunnel for their play to walk off, sensibly Kevin Maher walked him away. If the ref had seen it ....straight red, nothing short of an assault!

I'm claiming credit for that. I sit not far from PB, saw what was happening and very quickly shouted out 'sub him' rather loudly. A few others then repeated my advice and PB then acted. I'll ring in tomorrow and see if this qualifies me to join the 137.:smile:

I'm claiming credit for that. I sit not far from PB, saw what was happening and very quickly shouted out 'sub him' rather loudly. A few others then repeated my advice and PB then acted. I'll ring in tomorrow and see if this qualifies me to join the 137.:smile:

You'll probably get PB saying that he will buy you a pint ........... just as he promised to buy all the Southend supporters at the away game at Shrewsbury last season for their encouragement and backing of the team.

If you are reading this Phil then I have forgotten and am still waiting .................

You'll probably get PB saying that he will buy you a pint ........... just as he promised to buy all the Southend supporters at the away game at Shrewsbury last season for their encouragement and backing of the team.

If you are reading this Phil then I have forgotten and am still waiting .................

A nice thought tho I think I might have already annoyed him.

True story - a couple of months ago I sent him a copy of my book for free and suggesting that he might like to buy copies for the whole squad as IMHO it shows the passion of a long-standing fan for the club and might provide some inspiration ............... tho maybe he did as come to think of it I think I sent it to him not long after that defeat at Rochdale and since then .............. Now, that is a thought I'll hold on to for a bit - what a sales aid that would be if it proved to be right:smile:

I'd love to think that was what happened, but I have not as yet received any reply. Slightly surprised too about the lack of response - over the last 46 years only two other managers have benefited from my pearls of wisdom (:smile:), both replied including Colin Murphy and I was not that complimentary to him but there again he did like to exercise with the pen.

Anyway, our mighty physio Ben has kindly 'liked' the book on Facebook so I suspect PB just handed the freebie he got over as a reward for getting Nile fit. :unsure:

Well done to Thomo for restraining him. I do hope the FA look at the video of the incident and hand out retrospective punishment because it was an assault in anyone's language.

Well done to Thompson for restraining Ferdinand as well after the sending off, as he could easily have got a 2nd yellow too, and you can almost see Thomo saying to him that he already had a yellow card.

Back