• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

I was well impressed with Kamara. He took a few minutes to settle in, but then got better and better and started to run the show from midfield. He can clearly see a pass, and what I liked was that he tried to thread a few passes forward when he could. He will definitely get some assists playing like that. Normally our midfield passes sideways or backwards all the time, so it was nice to see a positive midfielder.

Agreed, when he first came on I thought he looked like a raw Bambi and feared the worst, but then you saw why he was at Arsenal, plenty of quick probing balls straight through their middle.

I dont think we could break quicker, they sat deep with 5 defenders and just soaked up what we had. There wasnt a lot of space to use any pace.
correct and probably why PB didn't bring Loza on, long time since I've seen such a lack of space. Thought McQueen was outstanding, as much as I love Deegan Sam is a big upgrade.

whilst not condoning it I can understand why some of our fans reacted the way they did. Maybe the silly little boys at the front will think twice next time as they took a good slapping from one guy on his own.

By saying that you ARE condoning it.

correct and probably why PB didn't bring Loza on, long time since I've seen such a lack of space. Thought McQueen was outstanding, as much as I love Deegan Sam is a big upgrade.

The other reason he didn't bring Loza on was he wasn't on the bench due to a concussion he had suffered this week!

It wasn't even close to a full scale pitch invasion. The inbreds were goading us from the start and they kicked it all off by trying to break through the stewards, whilst not condoning it I can understand why some of our fans reacted the way they did. Maybe the silly little boys at the front will think twice next time as they took a good slapping from one guy on his own.

Do you support Millwall? If not you would fit in well at the Den!!

Interesting game today, had all the ingredients for a decent local derby and it didn't disappoint - apart from the football in the first 80 minutes that is! :stunned:

To be fair, I thought it was actually not a bad game. Colchester didn't look as bad as I had expected (I didn't go to the Boxing Day game at their place), and to their credit they did try to play rather than park the bus. Moncur and Massie were by far their best players, so was a bit puzzled when they were both substituted. Overall they didn't look too badly organised, they were unfazed by going down to 10 men and I thought they could have nicked it in the second half. It was only after the first goal they just seemed to roll over, and their manager looked distraught! They were no worse than any other team we have played this season really, and I thought they looked quite dangerous once or twice coming forward, but with their defence in such disarray after they conceded they are almost certainly going down.

Was too far away to have an opinion on Thommo's booking early on, and I thought it was pretty tense and tight for most of the first half. Then Lenny got taken out, and it looked bad from where I was, so not at all surprised it was a straight red, and rightly so. I was more surprised that Ryan stayed on the pitch till half time, because he was obviously hurting. We found it hard to break them down for most of the game, and we were slow getting on the ball when we did have possession, so going to 442 with more width was absolutely the right move. It was getting very frustrating watching all those moves straight down the middle, only to run straight into their very big defenders! It was good to see Wordswoth and Worrall back, and Wordsworth in particular was excellent, and that was a very well taken goal! Then it got better, the legend that is Adam Barrett popped up at a corner and scored a peach of a goal that clearly meant nothing to him... And it was rounded off nicely by McQueen scoring the third goal on his 21st birthday, so he won't forget that in a hurry!

It was an average / poor game for 80 minutes, and it came alive for the last 10 minutes - overall, it was a good afternoons work, and 3points and the bragging rights safely in the bag.

It it is just such a shame that a bunch of idiots from both sides got involved in the silly stuff. Whatever happens, I hope that all the culprits are banned from matches. We do need to look at the stewarding situation, as someone let off a smoke bomb again, and it is unacceptable that the stewards are getting punched when they are just trying to do their job. To their credit, the players intervened and got the crowd back into their respective stands, but they shouldn't have to help keep the fans apart. Bolger was punched (he wasn't that bad...) and I just hope he didn't make contact on the idiot who hit him, as he may find himself in trouble too.

Sam McQueen quality, man of the match

Adam Barrett legend

Rocky Balboa quality but prob in jail next week :smile:
sam McQueen had a great first 45 mins playing as part of the two behind Barnett, caused Colchester all sorts of problems and deserved his goal at the end, must start next game.

i took my Aussie mate to his first Essex Derby and for the first 75 i was apologising for bringing him to one of the most boring matches i'd ever seen.
then we brought on Worrall which we were crying out for. we desperately needed some width as they were defending the width of the 18 yard box and we kept turning into traffic.
then we got the width and the play opened up. Then Wordsworth got an opening and took a shot and scored, the second time i've seen him score since he scored for the scum on this very ground some years ago.
then it all kicked off and i had nothing to apologise for any more.

before the game i said i wanted a shiver down my spine and for us to ****ing spank them, i got both in spades. the buzz before kick off was superb but the actual game killed that. until the first goal.

i couldn't see most of the crowd trouble but i saw Adam Barrett. he was bloody brilliant

Poor game, but I feel great ! Windy conditions, bobbly pitch, local derby, it was never going to be a classic. Wasn't impressed by us (though our players stewarding was impressive) nor them - think fitness maybe the reason they are bottom, too many carrying too much timber and even Moncur was blowing out of his arse when subbed.

Bentley - liked the way he came and punched some of their corners (they had loads) but concerned when he applauded a back pass instead of getting his balance and feet right and consequently fly-hacked straight to their (tubby) striker.
O'Neil - Impressed, good game.
Bolger - usual - strong defending woeful distribution.
Barrett - struggled with crosses swaying in wind early stages but experience proved invaluable - so pleased he scored.
Thompson - ok
Hendrie - was hoping for more but not bad.
Atkinson - hands up, great first half, looked like only one wanted to take the game to them.
Payne - I know I'm his biggest fan/agent/dad but not one of Joe's best days, proud how he stuck at it though (that's my boy).
Leonard - not bad in congested/outnumbered midfield before bad-looking injury.
McQueen - didn't really notice him to be honest (until the tap in)
Barnett - won few good headers but mainly restricted to long range shots.

Stella time !! :happy:

I was well impressed with Kamara. He took a few minutes to settle in, but then got better and better and started to run the show from midfield. He can clearly see a pass, and what I liked was that he tried to thread a few passes forward when he could. He will definitely get some assists playing like that. Normally our midfield passes sideways or backwards all the time, so it was nice to see a positive midfielder.

he looked a bit slight but also looked a proper quality player, well impressed with him today

Didn't realised our first goal was as late at the 82nd... That last 8 mins seemed much longer?

Another 3 points, but still not in the play offs!

Almost feel foolish for posting on the thread about the actual game- far more interesting given the 3x the number of posts is on the behaviour of a handful of idiots. I guess the positive is that the former gives far less opportunity for negativity then the latter.

The conditions didn't help- very windy as evidenced by neither goal keeping reaching much further than half way kicking from the North. However, whilst its true it took us a long time to get the first, and we weren't at our best, we still had 22 shots with 7 on target verses 7 with just 1 on target. Colchester never really threatened and their one shot on target in the first half was an easy save for Dan. We won a typical derby game by three nil playing not so well- good and bad at the same time.

Particularly pleasing were the performances of McQueen and Kamara for me. In the run in I think a real strength will be the size and quality of the squad- and McQueen, Kamara, Loza, Hendrie & Barnett all look like very good signings.

McQueen is quick, two footed and looks like he can play wide, CM or upfront. Kamara whilst compared to Deegan looks somewhat lightweight is good on the ball and has excellent passing ability (again and again he quickly passed the ball forwards to feet rather than sideways- not the easy option- impressive on debut)

We now have Scunny & Bradford away prior to Burton at home. We are getting to that time where almost every game is a important and I think the current squad gives PB the tools to allow us to dream..

Last edited:
It wasn't even close to a full scale pitch invasion. The inbreds were goading us from the start and they kicked it all off by trying to break through the stewards, whilst not condoning it I can understand why some of our fans reacted the way they did. Maybe the silly little boys at the front will think twice next time as they took a good slapping from one guy on his own.

Really....? Well thats ok, I'm sure the FA will agree that we were 'provoked' by them nasty inbreds, all makes sense and all those who got over the wall had no intention of going any further and just wanted to stretch their legs. and as you say 'they deserved a good slapping' to learn a lesson. By the way, one of the guys slapped required medical attention tonight, still all ok...?

Poor game, but I feel great ! Windy conditions, bobbly pitch, local derby, it was never going to be a classic. Wasn't impressed by us (though our players stewarding was impressive) nor them - think fitness maybe the reason they are bottom, too many carrying too much timber and even Moncur was blowing out of his arse when subbed.

Bentley - liked the way he came and punched some of their corners (they had loads) but concerned when he applauded a back pass instead of getting his balance and feet right and consequently fly-hacked straight to their (tubby) striker.
O'Neil - Impressed, good game.
Bolger - usual - strong defending woeful distribution.
Barrett - struggled with crosses swaying in wind early stages but experience proved invaluable - so pleased he scored.
Thompson - ok
Hendrie - was hoping for more but not bad.
Atkinson - hands up, great first half, looked like only one wanted to take the game to them.
Payne - I know I'm his biggest fan/agent/dad but not one of Joe's best days, proud how he stuck at it though (that's my boy).
Leonard - not bad in congested/outnumbered midfield before bad-looking injury.
McQueen - didn't really notice him to be honest (until the tap in)
Barnett - won few good headers but mainly restricted to long range shots.

Stella time !! :happy:

Who is Joe?

Loved the little gift of MOM to the Colchester fans, but my MOM was Atkinson. Everywhere and most attacking player.
Thought we really missed Leonard up to the 60th then Kamara got some control on things and looked assured thereafter.
Payne was too deep for me to effect things until very late when he was suddenly involved.
Looked red card to me in front of us. Leonard intimated the damage was a twist above the knee as he came off at ht. Imagine some ligament damage.
Wordsworth looked what he used to look like when he played here in Colchester shirt - a real threat. Bodes well and feels like a loan signing as been out so long. Squad looks good... One eye on Walsall now ��

Back