• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

My match report, it won't be long.

Top of the league you're having a laugh, top of the league you're having a laugh. Considering they are, then maybe the Cup game with Man City was on their minds, either way we smashed it, especially in the first half. And we got a third at just the right time.

The team was great, the goals were great, the crowd was great Turner was great and my thermals were great.

9 points from 3 games, dare we dream..............?

There was a moment in the second half where Nick Powell had the ball and Tims put in one of the tackles of the season, for me.

Completely typified the team's and his own performance.

I'll do a MR&R soon, but suffice to say the team and the crowd were absolutely magnificent. Really was something special that! :happy:

It just keeps getting better and better! Now if only this had happened a month earlier when I was back in Blighty!

But I'll take it! Watched on iFollow. I thought Turner was immense, on one occasion in the second half he flung himself for a diving header in the midfield area which summed up his commitment. Dru and Timlin superb with some great tackles, Coker so influential on the left and getting crosses in. I loved how the third goal came from a series of throw ins when we were essentially slowing things down, before Cox sped things up again. Cox and Fortune didn't stop hassling, Kightly is a different player under Sir Chris P. McLaughlin seems to have a lot more belief now, as does Anton.

As for Wigan, my only comment is James Vaughan is a n*b, although perhaps he had a case for a penalty towards the end.

It's fun being a Southend fan again - thank God!

One final thought - positive man management by SCP in stark contrast to his predecessor!

Now let's go make it four in a row at Bury!

To a player I could hug them, they played for each other and apart from a tiny amount of time after conceding didn't let their heads drop or stop working. Absolutely buzzing.

It just keeps getting better and better! Now if only this had happened a month earlier when I was back in Blighty!

But I'll take it! Watched on iFollow. I thought Turner was immense, on one occasion in the second half he flung himself for a diving header in the midfield area which summed up his commitment. Dru and Timlin superb with some great tackles, Coker so influential on the left and getting crosses in. I loved how the third goal came from a series of throw ins when we were essentially slowing things down, before Cox sped things up again. Cox and Fortune didn't stop hassling, Kightly is a different player under Sir Chris P. McLaughlin seems to have a lot more belief now, as does Anton.

As for Wigan, my only comment is James Vaughan is a n*b, although perhaps he had a case for a penalty towards the end.

It's fun being a Southend fan again - thank God!

One final thought - positive man management by SCP in stark contrast to his predecessor!

Now let's go make it four in a row at Bury!

I think they should have got a penalty, pulled him down, say no to VAR!

Can we start calling dru the essex iniesta now. I just love the little fella. Technically excellent, reads the game so well. Tenacious, athletic.
Can not wait to see the lad play again.

I have been away for a couple of weeks and prior to going on holiday I was becoming quite deflated in watching the team.
I returned to my normal seat today and O M G - please can someone tell me what has happened over the past three weeks.
This is not the same team I was watching in early January yet it was the same players.
Today was a joy to watch.

Thought Anton's booking was a bit harsh, btw.

You're always looking for a booking when you go in with a high leg.
I thought the ref today was excellent and fair. Felt sorry for the west lino who got dogs load of abuse from Elder and Burn.

Well, what a fantastic match. Had everything and was end to end.

Wigan played their part, but probably slightly overplayed it out from the back at times and nearly paid the price a couple of times. Was impressed with Byrne at right-back, but we nullified the threat of Powell and Grigg from the off. It's always pleasing when the oppo's star man is substituted, especially after adopting the role of pantomime villain, as well.

The players were magnificent and likewise the crowd. Exactly what a top side should have to endure away from home.

Our goals came from hard work on the training field. An excellent set-piece where we dragged their defence to the near post to leave Turner at the far with a free header. Our last coming from working on shooting and following up. The second was a bit of the old magic when we played well under PB with a superb reverse pass from Coxy.

The ref was a bit better today, which helped the game immensely.

I've always felt we had the quality of players, but lacked something. I think we are starting to find it again.

Just great to see so many people leaving the ground excitedly chatting about the match, as well.

Oxley 7.5 - Yep, a good all-round performance, as ever. It's a testament to him that there's never much to comment on, such is his consistency these days.

Demetriou 7.5 - Solid display. Their left-sided fella had a turn of pace and playing full-back on our pitch must be a nightmare, as it's so difficult to turn quickly.

Ferdinand 8 - Back to his performances of last season. Much more on his game and reads the game so well. I noticed he went straight off the pitch at the final whistle, so hopefully he hasn't taken a knock or strained something ahead of Tuesday.

Turner 8.5 - Won pretty much everything. Superb display.

Coker 8.5 - Thought he had his best game since coming back from injury. Got a couple of great block tackles in, as well and did excellently for our third goal.

Kightly 7.5 - Worked his socks off and great anticipation for the 3rd goal. Had an in and out first half, but never gave up trying to make things happen.

Yearwood 8 - It's hard to imagine he is only 17. Looks and plays so much like Keith Jones, as we've said before. Up against Powell and Power today and didn't look out of place at all.

Timlin 9 MOM - Just an awesome display. One slight error which lead to their goal, but made up by countless tackles and directed everything from centre-midfield.

McLaughlin 7.5 - Similar to Kites. Fantastic work-rate and becoming a real top performer this season.

Cox 7.5 - Did superbly for the 2nd and 3rd goals and did what he does best. Drifiting into space and creating chances. Just needs a goal to get him fully going again.

Fortune 7.5 - Great finish and held the line well. Think the knock did for him and he signalled to come off, in the end.

Subs did well enough. Some nice touches from Harrison and Freddie will cause defences problems.

Overall, onwards and definitely upwards.

There was a great moment when SCP was conducting the East Stand into getting the singing going.

Looks like he is thoroughly enjoying being back and that's reflected in the performances and the crowd.

All in all, what a great afternoon out! :happy:

You're always looking for a booking when you go in with a high leg.

You are entitled to contest a loose ball that's bouncing. AF played the ball and caught Powell slightly afterwards who then made a complete meal of it. He didn't go with studs up anywhere near the player.

A free-kick yes, possibly, as he caught him with his trailing leg, but a yellow?

Not for me.

Wigan simply didn't have a plan b until it was too late. Tactically CP got it spot on today, we didn't let them settle and I lost count of how many times we nicked the ball off their back 4 whilst they fart arsed about with it.
Timlin, and particularly Dru were fantastic today. Remember people that Dru is only 17.... what a prospect.

Bloody brilliant today, walked away from RH tonight extremely proud of my Southend United :happy:

"Dru playing well beyond his years - almost to the point I've forgotten Ryan Leonard."

Who would have thought that a month ago?

I thought Wigan were poor. I kept on saying they must get better - but they didn't. Shame, eh?!

This is the side we thought we had. Credit to Phil Brown for bringing the players in, but he became the villain of the piece in the way he managed them, clearly.

We have the same players, but are now a completely different team.

You can see the confidence flooding through the players. SCP encourages them to try things, it's what the crowd want to see. We actually played some football on that ploughed field of a pitch and the second goal was a great move.

Wigan are top of the table but I don't think we saw any of that today. Grigg was anonymous, Powell was a whinger. We actually stopped them playing their game and consequently became the first team to beat them since October.

Good marks all round, again, no-one had a poor game. 8's for everyone except Turner, who was a colossus - 9 and MOM. Timlin close behind with 8.5 and would have got higher aside from the fact he was caught in possession in the lead up to their goal.

The ref let things flow but I'm not sure about some of his decisions... I have seen better but also a hell of a lot worse!

Please don't let's do our usual now and lose to Bury.

COME ON!

Sir Chris has certainly been an upper and the team are responding well. The pitch did not allow champagne football but, nevertheless, it was a thoroughly entertaining and committed performance from our boys. Would have liked one or two more in the crowd but hey ho.

Oxley - 7 Always felt he was ready for anything that came but his kicking is leaving a lot to be desired.

Demi - 7 Steady and reliable but got shown for pace a few times.

Coker - 8 Good game. Ran his socks off and was integral.

Turner - 8 Top awareness and game reading. A Lionheart.

Ferdinand
- 8 I slaughtered him from the keyboard for his previous performances but he made me look a tit today. Hope he keeps it up.

Dru - 8 Difficult to believe he is only 17. Excellent in the middle. I think he is going to be very versatile and can cover as a winger and oddly I could see him playing as a striker off a big target man. He has the speed of feet and thought to play at a higher level. Let's hope he continues to impress and progress.

Timms - 8 Wholehearted and decisive performance. He looks rejuvenated.

SM - 8 A handful and looking sharp. Is an asset.

Kights - 7 Looking interested and fairly sharp but not got everything firing just yet. Takes on a bit too much and some of his decisions seem questionable but I believe with more game time we will see the best of him.

Cox - 8 Tireless runner and worker. His goals will come.

Fortune- 9 I think he, like Dru, belies his age. His constant effort and challenging was a key factor in keeping Wigan on the back foot for much of the game. Great to see him get a goal to reward his work. Tired but understandable. My MOM.

Laadapo - 6 Did ok but hopefully there is more to come.

Harrison - 7 Looks like he has a lot to offer and hopefully he will earn more game time.

JM No score. Not on long enough.

A great team performance.

Back