• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Time to back anton ferdinsand now noticed after the final whistle he ran straight down the tunnel he’s had a lot of stick now from my point of view he’s proved he’s worth let’s get behind all the players utb

Dare I dream of the play offs......

Every player was excellent. Bring on the next game.

Decided to go at the last minute today, after what’s been a horrendous week for me on a personal level, which I won’t bore you with... fantastic performance and result has really lifted my spirits, so grateful that I went!

Early goal settled us down, and from then on we dominated the first half’s play, our second was one of the best worked goal I have seen for a very long time, magniticent - our link up play was astounding at times, with Kightly and McLauglin were unstoppable down the flanks, Timlin and Dru totally bossed the midfield, Coxy was everywhere, Turner was a giant, every player put in a shift, and apart from a 15 minute spell in the 2nd we looked the top of the table side.

So so proud to be a shrimper tonight :smile:

Michael Turner my old son, you are flying. A great centre back makes his partner look like he only has to stroll about, easing through balls back to the keeper or smashing them out when in danger. Ferdy only had to do that and duly obliged. Turner was on fire, Griggs went hiding and Ferdy said thankyou very much. A perfect centre back pairing. One moment in the 2nd half, Turner stepped into midfield to contest a ball up in the air, a Wiganer had raised his foot to toe it and Turner thought about it for a second, before ploughing on in there, quite willing to take a boot in the mooey regardless. Wigan were shocked, because it was that attitude that rang through Southend today, didnt give them a sniff that we would be farting around APART from their goal which we had two chances to clear in midfield. That was the only time we let our guard down. And just as we thought the Southend boys were tiring, we were reminded of the quality in the team when we were pinging passes around in that 7mins of extra time. Take a bow goal hero and phenonomal centre back Michael Turner, head and shoulders above everyone and a leading the back four by example. The Southend pensioners are bringing it !

One other thing, I heard a few ‘boos’ when Ferdinand was called out in the line up just before kick off, same as when he came on for JW against Pboro last week... whoever it is shame on you!

He’s one of our players for God’s sake; and although he’s been guilty of a few duff performance let’s not forget he suffered a personal tragedy last year, either applaud him or say nothing

Hopefully he seems to be back to last season form since SCP has taken over.

No more boos please!

I realise that I’ve been away from the Roots Hall allotments for so long that this next statement is essentially meaningless, but that’s the best I’ve seen Southend play in ages. Not so much on a technical level; I don’t think they’ll be too much of that on display at our place for a while, but in terms of character and courage.

Picking a man of the match out of that would have been a thankless task. Every player was hurling themselves into everything, fighting for every ball, refusing to allow Wigan to settle even for a moment. Timlin and Yearwood were relentless, smashing into tackles again and again. Turner was a dreadnaught, Cox was everywhere. They could have lost that game 4-0 and I’d still have applauded them off the park for their effort. That sort of performance is what you want. Everything else follows from there.

This hits the nail on the head and sums everything that has changed under Sir Chris. Unfortunately it just turned stale this year under Brown and the players were going through the motions. Now we are seeing full commitment and as a result the fans are responding. Good atmosphere through the game and was good to see a positive reaction to us conceding! The players are playing with confidence and not afraid to make a mistake - previously the crowd would have been on their back. We also have role to play at games! Hope this positivity continues and roll on Tuesday night!

Dru and Timlin are a formidable pairing. Dru is such a good player and will only get better. I criticized Timlin this season for his poor performances at LB but my word it's like having a new player. What a transformation under Powell. I can't see how Wright, Wordy or Mantom will get a game at the moment

The competition for places has to help. It's all about keeping your place in the team and the three new signings have helped our midfield and forward line - look at the work rate from the starting XI.

Walking through the car park on the way into the ground today, I walked by a bloke who was walking along with his little boy. I heard him telling the lad that the programme was his and he could keep it forever and every time he looked at it "you'll remember the first game you ever went to".

That hit me right in the feelings that did.

But blimey. He's going to have no trouble remembering this game, is he? :smile::smile::smile::happy:

That was a cracker. I was impressed throughout the game with how the team scrapped for everything. Pass went astray or got intercepted? They were right on it instead of their heads going down.

And the crowd, too. Just a little pause after Wigan scored until all three stands were belting out "Come on Southend!"

Our team did us proud today. Best game I've seen for ages.

Fantastic performance coupled with a great result. 9 points out of 9 is crazy when you consider the level of opposition and all deserved to win in my opinion. It’s been a great start for Powell, I think if we are honest most of us hoped for a response like this from the players but it’s great to be actually happening. Big test now on Tuesday, Bury have had a few decent results recently so we need to approach this game like we have against Wigan today.

Excellent today, bossed them....just loving the Timlin and Yearwoid combination in the middle with Macca and Kightly out wide, that 3 games running we have destroyed the other teams midfield without Lenny, didn't think I would be saying that a few weeks back..

Timlin was immense today...a player I thought was on the wane...now pairs up beautifully with Dru....

Anyone notice Ferdy sprint down the tunnel at the final whistle....maybe he needed a ****!

You know why we won? 442 as it should be. Ooh hang on! Wasn't that how Dave Webb did things?

Can't pick a Man of the Match today. All were absolutely fantastic! Make no mistake, Wigan are the best team in the league for a reason and yet the application, attitude and desire from the players never really gave them a sniff.
It started with Cox up front and filtered all the way through to Oxley in goal. Simply a wonderful team performance that makes a fan very proud of his football team!

just shows how much the players did NOT want to play under the old manager... Ron, better late than never but wished it was earlier than later.

I think full credit must go to Ron Martin for the change in fortunes.

Firstly he persevered with Brown hoping against (forlorn) hope that things would pick up, particularly after the Charlton game, but it was not to be. However he moved swiftly to secure Powell and avoided the scenario of 'first choices' declining to take up the role which has been evident at some other clubs where replacing a Manager has drifted.

He copped a right tirade of abuse from them in a spell of about a minute in the 2nd half, which was level with us. Surprised he didn't inform the Ref, instead of just standing there doing nothing?.

He was awful. Cannot believe he let Wigan march 20 yards down the line on their throw and didn't even do anything.

Back