• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Status
Not open for further replies.
It says volumes that we are playing so well and scoring freely that we have to look for negatives when we concede.

Cant wait till next week.

Wow - surely that means the Gaffer is a shoe-in for manager of the month? I think he's won one before, but could someone confirm it?

For us, last September. Here are all the individual awards Sturrock has picked up as a manager:

Football League Third Division Manager of the Year: 2001–02
Football League Second Division Manager of the Year: 2003–04
Football League Third Division Manager of the Month: September 2001, October 2001, February 2002
Football League Second Division Manager of the Month: October 2003, December 2003
LMA Managers Performance League: January 2004
Football League One Manager of the Month: November 2004
Football League Two Manager of the Month: January 2007
Football League Two Manager of the Month: September 2011

For us, last September. Here are all the individual awards Sturrock has picked up as a manager:

Football League Third Division Manager of the Year: 2001–02
Football League Second Division Manager of the Year: 2003–04
Football League Third Division Manager of the Month: September 2001, October 2001, February 2002
Football League Second Division Manager of the Month: October 2003, December 2003
LMA Managers Performance League: January 2004
Football League One Manager of the Month: November 2004
Football League Two Manager of the Month: January 2007
Football League Two Manager of the Month: September 2011

That's an impressive list.
Especially when you add Football League Two Manager of the Month : November 2012

STURROCK FOR THE SCOTLAND NATIONAL TEAM MANAGER !!They need a well respected manager who hasnt earnt is good reputation from a cheque book.But by bringing a team and now its supporters together by playing good football ,with a team that cost virtually nothing, most being rejected players from other clubs and intelligent loan signings.GO THE BLUES!!!

Great result today, I thought the football we played was lovely to watch brilliantly followed up from the previous two games. plus the atmosphere was cracking too! UTB!!:smile:

Smith - 6 At fault for the goal, a couple of dodgy punches but a very good save in the first half.

Clohessy - 8 Up and down all day, always an outlet
Barker - 7.5 Got caught once or twice but used his experience. Good link up play with Timlin
Cresswell - 8.5 An immovable force, brilliant
Phillips - 8.5 Same as Cresswell
Hurst - 8 Great play with Clohessy and some good deliveries. Great cross field ball to Timlin for the second goal
Laird - 8 always plays the easy ball, great finish for the third goal. Good movement and vision and great reverse pass to Britt for our first goal
Mkandawire - 8 just sits in front of the back four, wins balls and lays it off.
Timlin - 9.5 MOM. Everywhere today, sublime ball down the touchline on 25 mins to put Britt in. Won everything, was everywhere.
Tomlin - 8 Ran himself ragged again and got yet another goal
Britt - 8 Another good day at the office. Worked well with Tomlin again, another stunning goal.

Sturrock - 10 I have to say Sturrock has come in for a lot of criticism in the past for hoofball but he has changed his style of play and it's paying dividends. Well done.

Home fans - 10 Great noise and support today from all round the ground.

On todays showing, we are auto promotion material.

How can you say Smith was at fault for the goal when it was clearly Barker misjudging a ball?

His punch was exactly the right decision, as demonstrated by the counter-attack form that punch, that led to our second goal when their keeper dropped a far easier catch in the wet conditions.

Home fans 4. It's easy to cheer when the team is on top, but when we went behind they turned. Part-time supporters. This win was achieved despite the home "fans".

Good result today against a Rochdale side that started the day in 6[SUP]th[/SUP] place. Solid team performance with everyone contributing something. Cresswell, Timlin and the front two the pick for me. Scrappy goal to give away and thought Smith could have done better. Please for Tomlin, who ran himself ragged (again) and got himself a goal. Best goal of the day was Lairds.
One minor moan, why can’t our goalkeeper kick the ball over the half way line!

Er, every kick went over the half-way line, except his passes to defenders. It's incredible the number of times we won the header yet people complained about the kick that led to Hurst or whoever winning that header. It's almost as if fans want us to kick it down their centre-halves' throats.

I was right behind the goal in the south upper and it looked like he went near post then back pedaled to the far post but im happy to stand corrected once I see the replay.

He was in the correct position. Once Barker let his man go, he had to cover the near post.

Ha Wiggy been coaching you on goalkeeping?

I just want to add that I hate every single mindless bellend that called for Sturrock to be replaced just a few weeks ago- total morons. Great to hear we are playing so well now. UTB!

Well i am waiting to see the stats for the centre backs and there 50-60 yard passes hitting the spot in comparison to the keeper. anyone????

i know the grammar is awful but alcohol and computers do not mix.

Last edited:
Just seen the goals on channel 301 on BBC on the Football League show. Excellent build-up play for all goals and a cool finish by Laird for the third. This BBC loop runs until about 9am so fill your boots.

How can you say Smith was at fault for the goal when it was clearly Barker misjudging a ball?

His punch was exactly the right decision, as demonstrated by the counter-attack form that punch, that led to our second goal when their keeper dropped a far easier catch in the wet conditions.

Home fans 4. It's easy to cheer when the team is on top, but when we went behind they turned. Part-time supporters. This win was achieved despite the home "fans".

Er, every kick went over the half-way line, except his passes to defenders. It's incredible the number of times we won the header yet people complained about the kick that led to Hurst or whoever winning that header. It's almost as if fans want us to kick it down their centre-halves' throats.

He was in the correct position. Once Barker let his man go, he had to cover the near post.

Ha Wiggy been coaching you on goalkeeping?

He punched the ball into the back on one of our players and he got lucky.

Check the highlights YB, you are wrong on this occasion. Awful goalkeeping and an amateurish rabbit looking jump to try and stop the ball from Smith.

Cant help but thinking kicking towards the North Bank helped today.
Yep, me too. Hope the boys take that on board and revert back to having the "home end" as the North, as it used to be.

Watched the iplayer highlights (thread elsewhere), I'd agree with the comments that Barker could have done better for their goal, he was actually caught out by the winger further back. I do also question Smith's positioning, and the defending generally but it was one of those things, and I'm not going to make a huge thing of criticising something that didn't really matter.

Second game in a row where I've thought we'd had a poor first half and then come out for the second like a different team, all credit to Sturrock and Coughlin for whatever was said to the boys at half time. Britt and Tomlin are absolutely on fire at the moment, Corr and Freddy are genuinely warming the bench!

Smith - 7, did pretty well on the whole, a very, very good save in the 1st half, he caught a few, and his kicks? Well, I may be wrong, but I think he's looking for Laird or Tamika who can win headers and flick them on, which is why they're short
Clohessy - 8, good work down the wing again from Sean, and also some quality defending a couple of times when Cressy and Phillips seemed to have got in a muddle
Phillips - 7, could he have done better with the goal? Not sure, it was always difficult in his position. Unlike an earlier poster, I thought Cresswell did better with Adebola though
Cresswell - 8, got to be the signing of the year in L2, I've said it before and will no doubt do so again, but how Evans let him go is beyond me, immense performance, didn't allow Adebola to bully him
Barker - 7, bless him, he really wants to be getting forward (and I have to say that I think Timlin is fantastic at dropping into the left back slot when needed), did well yesterday, caught out by the winger who crossed for the goal
Hurst - 7, much better deliveries from corners, linked up well with Clohessy as usual, did think he got a bit lost in the 2nd half though
Laird - 7, some good work throughout the game and took his goal well, although it was laid on a plate by Assombalonga!
Mkandawire - 8, provides some much needed backbone in our midfield, and goes about his business in a completely unfussed and unflappable way. Makes quite a difference to some of our more volatile defensive midfielders :whistling:
Timlin - 9, MOTM, just an awesome performance from Timmo and the cross for Britt's goal was a thing of beauty. How anyone reckoned he was not very good (or something like that!) is - and was - beyond me
Tomlin - 8, once the floodgates opened, they truly opened! Delighted for him, he's found his goal scoring boots and long may that continue
Assombalonga - 8.5, what a great goal! Him and Tomlin now look to be a complete pairing and that has to be great news for us!

Mate your having a laugh!!!

Easy to cheer when team is on top? I guess the South was in full chorus then at 2-1 onwards??????? :zzzzz:

Mate your having a laugh!!!

Easy to cheer when team is on top? I guess the South was in full chorus then at 2-1 onwards??????? :zzzzz:

Not having a laugh. Our home support is fickle. They were on the players' backs and moaning at 1-0 down, despite the fact that it was difficult conditions, we were playing the team in 5th and we hadn't been playing badly. They cheered when things were going well but jeered when the going got tough. There's nothing admirable in that.

Great support is about inspiring the team when things are difficult. Think of the story of the footsteps in the sand. At 1-0 down there was only one set of footprints in the sand and they belonged to the team, who carried the fans when it should be the other way round. At the time they needed our support, we failed them.

The support wasn't even that good when we were winning - that's not a dig at you, but as you say how much do the South sing? The East and West are probably even worse. I'm not having a go, but making a realistic assessment. Sorry if that offends anyone's ego.

He punched the ball into the back on one of our players and he got lucky.

Check the highlights YB, you are wrong on this occasion. Awful goalkeeping and an amateurish rabbit looking jump to try and stop the ball from Smith.

Read what I actually wrote.

Not having a laugh. Our home support is fickle. They were on the players' backs and moaning at 1-0 down, despite the fact that it was difficult conditions, we were playing the team in 5th and we hadn't been playing badly. They cheered when things were going well but jeered when the going got tough. There's nothing admirable in that.

Great support is about inspiring the team when things are difficult. Think of the story of the footsteps in the sand. At 1-0 down there was only one set of footprints in the sand and they belonged to the team, who carried the fans when it should be the other way round. At the time they needed our support, we failed them.

The support wasn't even that good when we were winning - that's not a dig at you, but as you say how much do the South sing? The East and West are probably even worse. I'm not having a go, but making a realistic assessment. Sorry if that offends anyone's ego.

But we WAS supporting at 1-0 down we continued to sing and chant!

I just want to add that I hate every single mindless bellend that called for Sturrock to be replaced just a few weeks ago- total morons. Great to hear we are playing so well now. UTB!

Well said sir! I guarantee you however, a couple of poor results, and they will be bleating again. COYBB

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back