• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Status
Not open for further replies.
About the fans moaning, apart from one muppet in the South Upper who was constantly abusing Smith (even at 3-1 when we looked comfortable) I didn't hear anything, other then the occasional groan when a pass was misplaced!
There are some, only a few, who may fit that description on here! i did hear a few moans and groans start in the East after Britt hit the post and more when they scored BUT they were only against our ill luck not players effort. And the strange ref decisions of course.

Can't believe how selective people's hearing is.

The crowd definitely turned on the team when we went one down. Suddenly every mistake was groaned at and the crowd went from supportive to hostile.

Maybe people don't even realise they are doing this?

Fortunately it didn't last long as we equalised soon after.

Unfortunately its quite natural sometimes when your team is losing to become negative, but where i was sitting in the east yellows this really wasnt the case, we got behind the team and remained positive. As for people saying they heard groans when britt hit the post, we were celebrating thinking it was going in, so no moans from us.

I said on another post, i feel there are really positive vibes around at the moment and although we went a goal down, a belived in our play and felt we would win the game. 6-8 weeks ago we would have lost that game.

What i find also amazing is that we are 7 games unbeaten, 4th in the league, scoring for fun, 5 games unchanged side yet people still find time to moan about the most annoying things and also the criticism that smith has undeservdly recieved is crazy. GET BEHIND THE TEAM!!!!!

Can't believe how selective people's hearing is.

The crowd definitely turned on the team when we went one down. Suddenly every mistake was groaned at and the crowd went from supportive to hostile.

Maybe people don't even realise they are doing this?

Fortunately it didn't last long as we equalised soon after.

Yep, definitely in the family West stand.

There were a few going ballistic when a pass went astray. NOT the odd moan or grumble, but outright abuse. You know who you are, approx rows E to K seats 28-36??

Overreaction and uncalled for!

Anyone would think we were on a 10 match losing streak.. embarrassing to turn on them so quickly!

Unfortunately its quite natural sometimes when your team is losing to become negative, but where i was sitting in the east yellows this really wasnt the case, we got behind the team and remained positive. As for people saying they heard groans when britt hit the post, we were celebrating thinking it was going in, so no moans from us.

I said on another post, i feel there are really positive vibes around at the moment and although we went a goal down, a belived in our play and felt we would win the game. 6-8 weeks ago we would have lost that game.

What i find also amazing is that we are 7 games unbeaten, 4th in the league, scoring for fun, 5 games unchanged side yet people still find time to moan about the most annoying things and also the criticism that smith has undeservdly recieved is crazy. GET BEHIND THE TEAM!!!!!

Yep , I was in East yellows too and thought the mood was very upbeat and supportive ( even at 0-1 ) which has not always been the case this season.

Yep, definitely in the family West stand.

There were a few going ballistic when a pass went astray. NOT the odd moan or grumble, but outright abuse. You know who you are, approx rows E to K seats 28-36??

Overreaction and uncalled for!

Anyone would think we were on a 10 match losing streak.. embarrassing to turn on them so quickly!

Having sat in most parts of the ground in the last 2 years , the family West probably just pips the East Reds for negative idiots IMO.

Good effort in picking out the culprits , but please try to narrow it down !

Having sat in most parts of the ground in the last 2 years , the family West probably just pips the East Reds for negative idiots IMO.

Good effort in picking out the culprits , but please try to narrow it down !

I sit a lot higher up, next game at half time, I will try to get exact seat numbers, plus photos and DNA

Really enjoyed the positive performance Saturday. I was particularly impressed with the character of the team to battle back after going behind against the run of play. Rochdale are no mugs but we showed our class.
Laird is a quality addition to our side and has given Timlin the freedom to adopt a more roaming role, and this showed in his (timlin's) MOTM performance. Easily the best performance of his this season.
Indeed, i see a lot of simularities between the pairing of Assombalonga and Tomlin and our promotion winning pairing in this division 9 years ago, Eastwood and Wayne Gray. Lets hope we can convince Britt to stay as i feel keeping these two as a partnership for the rest of the season could well define it.

Keep it up Blues!

we are on a great run we should support the team no matter its a joke some of the moaners around and i agree the slating of smith is utter bull s*** he has done really well of late is record speaks for itself so far in his southend career!

Had another look at the sky sports highlights rochdale first goal no way paul Smiths fault positioning correct for the cross and his reaction was to spread himself to narrow the angle which was spot on unfortunately it went in smith could not of done much more to prevent the goal!

Had another look at the sky sports highlights rochdale first goal no way paul Smiths fault positioning correct for the cross and his reaction was to spread himself to narrow the angle which was spot on unfortunately it went in smith could not of done much more to prevent the goal!

Found this today http://www.seriousgoalkeeping.net/Tactics/WingPlay/GoalkeeperTacticsWingPlay.aspx

Interesting read about keepers positioning with balls crossed in from the wings. worth a read for all those who consider the near post to be the starting position of a keeper with a cross from the wing.

Bit of the passage: "One of the things the goalkeeper can do to ensure that he is positioned perfectly in the goal is to imagine a straight line running out from the center of the goal towards the penalty spot (Yellow Dotted Line).
The goalkeeper should always stand somewhere along this line when positioning himself for balls being played from the wings (crosses)."

Nowhere does it mention covering the near post but position himself at the centre of the goal.

tedious, boring, dull, zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz:'(

But fact im afraid. You can say all day he was positoned right and slag me off all you want but you are wrong.

Exactly the comment I'd expect from someone who isn't interested in any reasoned debate or actual fact or proof.

I wouldnt expect the keeper to claim a ball in that position unless it was crossed fairly low. A long looping cross is far different and to intercept it on that 'golden line' would mean he needs to be 14 feet tall.

Why are you so keen to blame him for it ?

Ive seen it on the replays and really doesnt look like he should have been that far back to catch it and questions should be asked about defenders and marking, not the keeper in that instance.

I wouldnt expect the keeper to claim a ball in that position unless it was crossed fairly low. A long looping cross is far different and to intercept it on that 'golden line' would mean he needs to be 14 feet tall.

Why are you so keen to blame him for it ?

Ive seen it on the replays and really doesnt look like he should have been that far back to catch it and questions should be asked about defenders and marking, not the keeper in that instance.

The point is that his positioning was wrong. Yes, the defence got it wrong and I've stated that already. Does the fact that Smith's positioning is wrong affect how the defence reacts? I don't know.

I've also said that Smith made a very good save in the first half, he is good at point blank saves. Although the cross was high, a starting position in the centre of the goal rather than the near post would have given Smith more chance of a punch at the back post and/or more time to position himself well.

I'll always support him but I just don't trust him.

He was hardly miles out of position, he was nearer than the front post, but not on it.

Im sure his positioning doesnt make defenders think they shouldnt bother marking a player and just to suggest it seems to indicate you are seeking reasons to blame him even more :)

Perfect keeping, probably not, but neither was he to be blamed for the goal either when the guy was unmarked.

Its this intensive analysis of everything he does I find baffling, he is a league two keeper, not Joe Hart (who lets face it has been making some nice mistakes of his own).

Smith isnt perfect, then neither are the rest of the team.

When he starts dropping easy crosses or making real mistakes is the time to worry.

Imo ensuring the near post is not exposed is the correct positon no keeper should get beat at the near post so smith was corretly positioned to prevent himself lookin daft the delivery was great thats it simple

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back