• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Echo News Southend United chairman Ron Martin to hold talks with 'frustrated' Sol Campbell

Eh ? I thought back in April he "was still focused on Southend". So he's either got a short attention span or maybe RM's preparing for something......?

Can someone download the Echo story on Sol please. All I get is that my Echo limit has been reached. Thanks in advance :-)

Certainly sounds like a matter of Sol costing too much and demanding too big a budget. Which begs the question, why was he appointed in the first place?

He certainly doesn’t seem to have come cheap and the chances of anyone keeping us up were slim at best. Maybe if Rob had hired someone on a reasonable wage, he could have saved a bit for next season or maybe even have paid people on time.

Which begs the question, why was he appointed in the first place?

Because the takeover deal fell through, and Millwall blocked AB’s move.

Ron was left with no real alternative (lets remember that Ron likes a big name AND/OR a former fans favourite) so broke the bank - or should I say, did “financial gymnastics” - to bring in Sol & the gang.

I would hazard a guess and say Ron has been regretting that decision since January 1st, 2020.

Hopefully Ron inserted something in Sol's contract that would make it financially viable to part ways if we were relegated.

Can someone download the Echo story on Sol please. All I get is that my Echo limit has been reached. Thanks in advance :-)
Here you go, mate!

SOUTHEND United chairman Ron Martin will hold talks with a ‘frustrated’ Sol Campbell once the League One season is officially finished.
The Shrimpers have not played since the start of March due to the coronavirus pandemic.
But Blues – who sit second from bottom – are unlikely to avoid relegation.
And Martin feels Campbell’s management team is ‘too good’ for League Two.
“Sol is probably frustrated and he’s not really been given the opportunity to prove himself,” Martin told TalkSport 2.
“He’s a very good person and a very dedicated guy.
“He’s ambitious and he assembled a good management team, probably I would argue, almost too good for League Two.
“Quite what he feels about being in League Two I don’t know.
“But I know he’s frustrated because he never got into a rhythm.”
Campbell has been in charge of the Shrimpers since October.
But Martin has yet to speak to the former England defender about next season.
“Until we have the visibility on next season there’s no point in talking to him,” said Martin.
“When there’s something to say we will talk.
“We do talk but we haven’t sat down properly yet because no-one knows what the future holds. “

Here you go, mate!

SOUTHEND United chairman Ron Martin will hold talks with a ‘frustrated’ Sol Campbell once the League One season is officially finished.
The Shrimpers have not played since the start of March due to the coronavirus pandemic.
“Sol is probably frustrated and he’s not really been given the opportunity to prove himself,” Martin told TalkSport 2.
“He’s ambitious and he assembled a good management team, probably I would argue, almost too good for League Two.
“Until we have the visibility on next season there’s no point in talking to him,” said Martin.
“We do talk but we haven’t sat down properly yet because no-one knows what the future holds. “
Thanks mate, saved me a job.

At the time when Sol took over we were probably about 90% certain to be in League Two next season so it should have been taken into consideration when the management team were appointed, our relegation has been a long time coming for around 18 months.
I genuinely think Ron thought we’d do better at the beginning of Sol’s reign (the “bounce” effect) and that we’d have picked up more points over Christmas. Effectively he may have been 3rd choice so it was certainly a gamble. For what it’s worth I think Sol could be a very good league 2 manager for us, given the chance to bring in his own players and develop our youngsters. But he ain’t cheap (allegedly)! Plus he’s clearly ****ed off.

I would hope they talk most days, Ron and Sol surely?
And the other coaches, staff and players should be in regular discussions and contact.

Here you go, mate!

Thanks me old Muckah!!!! Hows it going dahn the West Country?

Back