• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Southend United close to completing loan signing of John-Joe O'Toole from Northampton

Chris Phillips must have got this one wrong. Is he not aware there is a clear poll on Shrimperzone indicating that people are not well disposed towards Mr O'Toole?!? I'll give him a ring and let him know.

Must admit, not bothered about this when it was first rumoured. But, if we get Barney back and firing, an attacking lineup of O'Toole, Barnard and Payne to choose from at this level is rather tasty. Not to forget Atkinson sitting on the bench who is a reliable and more attack minded than defensive player. Leonard with his rampaging runs and Clifford with his long range shooting ability. We definitely have the players in our squad capable of hitting the back of the net more frequently than we are at the minute and hopefully the confidence from this 3 game winning streak will transpire into goals galore and twonking Northampton 5-0 on Saturday (not gonna happen but we can dream, we all know it will be 1-1 or a goal in it either way). The future's bright, the future's ORANGE. Lose our next couple though and I'll want Brown out again :hilarious:

Barney hasn't impressed here but has scored a few at Stevenage. Maybe O'Toole will be suited at Southend and we will see the best of him?

Indeed, some players just need a move to get the best out of them.

Very big question mark over O'Toole though and down to him to prove himself.

As mentioned in the other threat, I really am not concerned by the prospect of coming up against John-Joe, he really hasn't done it this season. Would be interested to see if Brown can get the best out of him, as he seems not bothered by the criticism he has taken very publicly by Wilder. Even mentioned him being overweight. Hope your covering all his wages although I doubt it!

I think that's what Orient said when they sold us Richard Cadette.

I cannot see how JO will fit into the team if indeed he is actually fit enough to play?

Brown know's best.

Let's see how he gets on. If he fails to impress he'll soon be on the bench and back to Northampton

As mentioned in the other threat, I really am not concerned by the prospect of coming up against John-Joe, he really hasn't done it this season. Would be interested to see if Brown can get the best out of him, as he seems not bothered by the criticism he has taken very publicly by Wilder. Even mentioned him being overweight. Hope your covering all his wages although I doubt it!

Although we all makes guesses on fans forums , this is one point that I can assure you we definately are not !

He hasnt even signed yet and people are saying hes rubbish and will get sent off! You couldnt make it up.

In Roy Keane's book he speaks about trying to sign Robbie Savage not necessarily because he needed another midfielder, but because he thought his personality would create a bit of spark in the dressing room and liven the place up a bit. John-Joe O'Toole is, well, a tool, but he might be the character needed to inject a bit of swagger and confidence into the side. Dressing room dynamics are complicated, but you need to strike a balance. Deegan's been widely praised for adding something to the midfield we lacked, O'Toole might be capable of doing the same.

In Roy Keane's book he speaks about trying to sign Robbie Savage not necessarily because he needed another midfielder, but because he thought his personality would create a bit of spark in the dressing room and liven the place up a bit. John-Joe O'Toole is, well, a tool, but he might be the character needed to inject a bit of swagger and confidence into the side. Dressing room dynamics are complicated, but you need to strike a balance. Deegan's been widely praised for adding something to the midfield we lacked, O'Toole might be capable of doing the same.

An Alice band?

He hasnt even signed yet and people are saying hes rubbish and will get sent off! You couldnt make it up.

You're right Clinton. Let's not forget when Deegan was given a chance, most on here thought he was slow, overweight, a red card waiting to happen, and pretty much useless in the trial games. It turned out to be a very good short term signing. He did a good job for us. He dropped off a bit last couple of games because he was probably being sounded out by another club by then.

Could be Leon Clarke, whilst he will most probably be snapped up by a League One team, Wolves have made him available for loan, according to Sky Sports, retweeted by CP

Also, O'Toole wouldn't be a bad signing

That would be lovely, but unlikely. It would be extremely popular with Southend fans because of the way he played for us before. But surely, he wouldn't drop down into the 2nd Division, he's much too good.

Oh Tool is likely to only play in place of Payne. An unpopular decision in my book. For me we do not need him. Our midfield is taking the game to teams but we lack a striker to take advantage of their endeavours. JJO has scored a number, specifically at Bristol Rovers, but is himself light on assists. If he scored a load for us the assists would not be such a problem but if he does not score then he will likely detract from the team contribution.

His wages were an issue previously and I would not want us paying top dollar when the money could be used better elsewhere.

18 league games in and as you all know any forward is measured to a degree on their scoring ratio.We have an unbelievable ratio of our ENTIRE strike force of just 4 goals with only 3 from open play.The forwards on average hit the net every 405 minutes YET Phil wants another midfielder.

Crazy times.

Corr
Payne O'Toole
Atkinson Clifford Leonard
Williams Prosser Sokolik White
Bentley

Surely Brown is signing another attacking midfielder just to get everyone in the festive spirit with a new Christmas tree formation?

Corr
Payne O'Toole
Atkinson Clifford Leonard
Williams Prosser Sokolik White
Bentley

Surely Brown is signing another attacking midfielder just to get everyone in the festive spirit with a new Christmas tree formation?
Should have used that when we had Angell up top

I suspect Brown wants him to sit in front of the defence anyway.

Can't say I'm excited by this signing but we signed a midfielder with attitude problems during the season in 2004/05 and he was arguably our standout player the first half of our title winning season.

That said, this is Brown's 5th central midfielder he's signed (Clifford, Atkinson, Gomis, Deegan and now O'Toole) but each time he signs another midfielder it's one of his signings who slip down the pecking order.

Back