• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

RHB

I'm a Gnu, how do you do!⭐⭐
Staff member
On 24th September 2016 we met Northampton Town at Sixfields Stadium, Demetriou got himself sent off and that sometimes lazy sod John-Joe O'Toole opened the scoring against us in a 0-4 stuffing. That was back in the bad old days of us not playing well.........This Saturday is the opportunity to bury that memory and give these Midlands monkeys a very severe larruping.

I can't see it being an easy game but the way the side are playing at Roots Hall at the moment is a joy to watch so I'm going for 2-0 to the Blues. I think PB will start the same 11 which kicked off at Oxford by the way. and Demetriou has made EFL team of midweek so well done Jason.

8da29729-cab3-4f18-a0fa-37585fd7792e.png

Can't believe that zavon hines can't even make the bench. Either his fitness is an issue or he hasn't got the right attitude in training. Either way this is a great opportunity for him to resurrect his career.

I also don't see the point in having 3 strikers on the bench.

At this stage of the season it's about winning games. If the performance is good then great but if it's not then it's just about getting the points.

Should be a good gate I for this one.

7000 home fans plus 500+ from Northampton.

Can't believe that zavon hines can't even make the bench. Either his fitness is an issue or he hasn't got the right attitude in training. Either way this is a great opportunity for him to resurrect his career.

At this stage of the season it's about winning games. If the performance is good then great but if it's not then it's just about getting the points.

Should be a good gate I for this one.

7000 home fans plus 500+ from Northampton.

One of those that has lots of talent, and knows it. Probably thinks he should be in the team, but blew it when he came on as a sub and stood around. Hopefully he will realise that he has to work like MAF to get picked, talent is not enough.

On 24th September 2016 we met Northampton Town at Sixfields Stadium, Demetriou got himself sent off and that sometimes lazy sod John-Joe O'Toole opened the scoring against us in a 0-4 stuffing. That was back in the bad old days of us not playing well.........This Saturday is the opportunity to bury that memory and give these Midlands monkeys a very severe larruping.

I can't see it being an easy game but the way the side are playing at Roots Hall at the moment is a joy to watch so I'm going for 2-0 to the Blues. I think PB will start the same 11 which kicked off at Oxford by the way. and Demetriou has made EFL team of midweek so well done Jason.

8da29729-cab3-4f18-a0fa-37585fd7792e.png

The ref wrongly gave a penalty and sent off Demi. That time our appeal was successful.

Really missing McLaughlin and Atkinson on the flanks. McGlashan and Timlin both have different skillsets and neither as effective as our 2 missing wide me. I would keep Timlin in the starting X1 but agree with previous posters that McG is better served as an impact sub.

Believe John White missed the Oxford game due to illness, if fit then could start him at RB, with Demetriou moving into an attacking MF role on the right. I also believe Amos can play RB, but starting on Saturday could be a huge risk.

Who knows, with PBs love of frontmen then could start 433, with MAF and Robinson giving us movement and width up top? so... how about;

Smith

Demetriou
Ferdinand
Thompson
Coker

Wordworth
Lenny
Timlin

MAF
Cox
Robinson

subs; Bexon, White, Innis, Amos, McGlashan, Hines, Ranger

If I'm taking s*** just tell me ;-)

Really missing McLaughlin and Atkinson on the flanks. McGlashan and Timlin both have different skillsets and neither as effective as our 2 missing wide me. I would keep Timlin in the starting X1 but agree with previous posters that McG is better served as an impact sub.

Believe John White missed the Oxford game due to illness, if fit then could start him at RB, with Demetriou moving into an attacking MF role on the right. I also believe Amos can play RB, but starting on Saturday could be a huge risk.

Who knows, with PBs love of frontmen then could start 433, with MAF and Robinson giving us movement and width up top? so... how about;

Smith

Demetriou
Ferdinand
Thompson
Coker

Wordworth
Lenny
Timlin

MAF
Cox
Robinson

Taking s***, chk sp love the optimism :thumbsup:

Just a question , why hasnt it seems anyone got any love for Nouble, didnt he also play out wide ,not just an out and out striker,how did he play in the behind closed doors friendly,he scored a goal,but how was his general play.

At this stage of the season it's about winning games.

I believe you just answered your own point there.

After two poor games, is it time for Timlin to drop to the bench, and if so, who replaces him? For me, I'd be tempted to start O'Neill, he's proved pretty reliable when played in midfield and gives some width while being able to cross the ball, plus he's got a natural defensive ability. You just know O'Toole will want to score against us again so whilst I might consider dropping Timlin, I think Lenny and Woody have to continue in the middle to try to contain him.

Smith

Demetriou
Ferdinand
Thompson
Coker

Wordworth
Lenny
Timlin

MAF
Cox
Robinson

I think that's exactly what he will go for. Let's hope Wordsworth works hard as he will need to if it's that narrow midfield.

Northampton were living up to their nickname recently (they lost 11 out of 12 matches from November to January), until Justin Edinburgh took over as manager in mid-January and they have now won three of their last four matches. They will be a handful I think. I'm going for a 3-2 victory to us.

Unchanged side, for me, as it's a home game.

When Will's back, it will then be a straight choice between whether McGl or Tims makes way, so they both have everything to prove in the next two matches.

Who wants that place the most!

After two poor games, is it time for Timlin to drop to the bench, and if so, who replaces him? For me, I'd be tempted to start O'Neill, he's proved pretty reliable when played in midfield and gives some width while being able to cross the ball, plus he's got a natural defensive ability. You just know O'Toole will want to score against us again so whilst I might consider dropping Timlin, I think Lenny and Woody have to continue in the middle to try to contain him.

Unchanged side, for me, as it's a home game.

I am torn between wanting to keep to an unchanged side and perhaps bringing in O'Neill for McGlashan. I certainly wouldn't leave Timlin out of the starting XI - the midfield is all about getting the right combination of 4 people as they all have to work together as a unit. Atkinson is a loss but I feel sure that the midfield unit will improve on home ground and with the Oxford game under their belt. :smile:

I suspect yesterday's 'in-house' match will have helped PB determine who will start on Saturday in place of Atkinson. I can't see him making the mistake again of starting McGlashan in the current system. Perm one of Amos, O'Neill or White. Money is on O'Neill as I still think PB missed a trick in not blooding Amos away at Oxford. He won't drop Timlin (rightly) but wouldn't be surprised if Robinson gets a start with perhaps Cox dropping to the bench for a rest. Otherwise team picks itself.

As as for the the debate around Nouble and Hines - just be thankful that the squad is so strong at the moment that these guys aren't getting a sniff. Not sure either has had much of an opportunity to evidence whether they have been good/bad additions - however if we get to the end of the season and we are still none the wiser it will probably mean we are in the play-offs at least.

Just a question , why hasnt it seems anyone got any love for Nouble, didnt he also play out wide ,not just an out and out striker,how did he play in the behind closed doors friendly,he scored a goal,but how was his general play.

Nouble's problem is going to be getting in the side, as he's really just going to be a bit-part player. As a striker he's now behind Cox, MAF, Robinson and Ranger. As a wingman he's behind McGlashan, Hines, and also Atko and McLaughlin when fit again. So we may never know how good (or bad) a player he is? Unless he breaks into the side and proves himself right now then he'll be gone by end of the season.

I believe you just answered your own point there.

If you are questioning dropping Timlin after two poor games surely you should also be considering dropping Wordsworth? I know why he us there, because he "might" do something. Hopefully if he plays he will repay Browns faith with the type of performance we know he is capable off

Timlin, IMO keeps his place, he won't play 3 poor games in a row; especially not at The Hall; maybe he needs a clearer defined role (as do the other middies) in the absence of Atko: and confusion if we are playing 4 3 3 or 4 4 2:
Q.Is McG doing enough when we aren't in possession?
O'Niell or Robinson would be my guess to start in the midfield/wing role.
But guessing PB's selection is just that,,,,,,,,,,,,,,guessing.

I think most of us would agree that the back 5 with Lenny as the holding CM picks itself. Barring injuries, Cox and MAF upfront.
So its the 3 midfield slots up for grabs and don't forget PB will have half an eye on the Peterborough match.

Justin E knows us very well, so the first thing he will do is make it difficult for us. Gillingham were hardly adventurous first half and won both games. So with that in mind we will have come out and have a go. PB doesn't like changing a winning side but who knows as the mid-field didn't exactly fire on all cylinders in the last 2 away matches.

So for me Wordsworth stays in as he is a bit of homer anyway and remember he did play well v Scunthorpe. Timlin stays on the left because Coker will be more attacking at home. So that leaves RM up for grabs.

To be fair to McG he has looked good as an impact player but was not exactly given any service at Oxford. If this lad from Spurs is ever going to break in the team then maybe Saturday is his chance.

Will probably see Theo and Ranger given longer as well.

Good Morning Shripmers,

(Generic Cobblers fan in peace alert).

Thought I would give you a little insight into the team you will be facing on Saturday, always enjoy conversing with opposition fans before games and it gives be a bit more understanding when im watching other teams.

The team you will be coming up against is growing and confidence (and fitness finally) after what was one of the worst spells I can remember watching the team under Rob Page. Justin Edinburgh has come in and is starting to really have an impact.

We have been playing exclusively in a 4-4-2 with a midfield diamond so far, although JED has suggested that players could be rotated for this game so perhaps a change is in the offing formation wise also. I am starting to really get on board with the diamond although we are vulnerable out wide because of it so if you have any pacey wingers then we will have issues!

Under Rob Page we would literally camp on the edge of our own box with all 10 outfield players and inevitable concede in the last 10 minutes. Players had been complaining about how lax training was and it was obvious in our play they were simply not fit enough. He also refused to rotate or make substitutions before the 89[SUP]th[/SUP] minute, hence his sacking which all Cobblers fans were glad about.

We are the 5[SUP]th[/SUP] highest scorers in the league despite our lowly position but we ship an a ton of goals as well. Players to watch our for this weekend would be Keshi Anderson who is on loan from Crystal Palace, a little lad who is a real poacher. Has been played at the top of the diamond in the last few games and pops up in good spaces and causes problems. Hiram Boateng who is destined for much better things. Again on loan from Palace, he has been playing on the left of the diamond. He is only 21 but has a huge frame, his control is excellent with both feet and goes past people with such ease, just voted out player of the month for Jan. John-Joe O’Toole (our cult hero) you obviously know a little about! Last 18 months has been immense and is hitting top form now, up to 9 goals for the season and has 4 in his last 3, a massive goal threat at the moment.

I see you have completed turned around your season since the game at our place. Your keeper that day had an absolute western in particular. What has turned your performances around and which players have been key recently?

Looking forward to heading down on Saturday, if anyone can recommend any local boozers that would be greatly appreciated. As for a score line I am going for an entertaining 2-2.

Cobblers

Back