• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Booked my flight back for this earlier. Into City early morning and then out of Stansted after the game. It's going to be a long day but this feels like a big match and I couldn't miss it.

Ranger, Cox 2-0.

Would have been a good TV game this. Two in-form sides going hammer and tongs at each other.

Can't wait! :happy:

Sorry to throw this one out there , because I am a big Timlin fan.
He has done well filling in for Coker and made a couple of strong challenges in the games I've seen , but his positional sense leaves a lot to be desired and think without Ferdinand ( meaning someone less experienced ) this would have shown up even more.
His energy and will to win get him through , but he is not a full back by any means and people shouldn't be clouded by our recent good form.
When Coker is fit , he should come straight back in IMO , but happy for Timlin to play in midfield as part of a rotation policy ( i.e. - putting him in for Mcglashan or Atkinson doesn't weaken us IMO ).

For those that weren't there, or those that had forgotten, this is what happens when you come to Roots Hall and this is why we got a few quid for Jackie Payne. No pressure Sheffield fans if you're looking obviously.

[video=youtube;6VdTaIwvfWY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6VdTaIwvfWY[/video]

And if that wasn't enough, this was at their gaff this season. Yeah, I know, tempting providence, but there ya go.

[video=youtube;BqvxAugORBg]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BqvxAugORBg[/video]

And if that wasn't enough, this was at their gaff this season. Yeah, I know, tempting providence, but there ya go.

[video=youtube;BqvxAugORBg]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BqvxAugORBg[/video]

Great watching that again ! The blades were a shambles that night !

Hope their defence is as good as our first meeting on Saturday... Looking at the stats, somethings gotta give !

Results of each team's last 5 matches across all leagues and competitions
Southend Unitedlast 5 matches (most recent first):
02/01/17(a)Swindon Town0-0D
31/12/16(h)Charlton Athletic1-1D
26/12/16(h)AFC Wimbledon3-0W
17/12/16(a)Oldham Athletic0-2W
10/12/16(h)Coventry City3-1W
Sheffield Unitedlast 5 matches (most recent first):
02/01/17(a)Bury1-3W
31/12/16(h)Northampton Town1-0W
26/12/16(h)Oldham Athletic2-0W
15/12/16(a)Coventry City1-2W
10/12/16(h)Swindon Town4-0W
Last time they met: Sheffield United 0-3 Southend United

That third goal, how quick was the Lone Ranger there when he won the ball back to set up Coxy! :thumbsup:

... and all three goals scored last March scored by players no longer at the club.

Sorry to throw this one out there , because I am a big Timlin fan.
He has done well filling in for Coker and made a couple of strong challenges in the games I've seen , but his positional sense leaves a lot to be desired and think without Ferdinand ( meaning someone less experienced ) this would have shown up even more.
His energy and will to win get him through , but he is not a full back by any means and people shouldn't be clouded by our recent good form.
When Coker is fit , he should come straight back in IMO , but happy for Timlin to play in midfield as part of a rotation policy ( i.e. - putting him in for Mcglashan or Atkinson doesn't weaken us IMO ).

Agreed with this. It's too easy to just churn out the "never change a winning side" line but if Messi missed a game because of a suspension, would you leave him out the next game if you'd won? Of course not. If Coker is fit, irrespectve if we won the previous game or not, surely he goes straight in at left back?

Bizarrely Jack Payne may well be going to the blades on loan for the remainder of the season. Be a decent loan for him.

Agreed with this. It's too easy to just churn out the "never change a winning side" line but if Messi missed a game because of a suspension, would you leave him out the next game if you'd won? Of course not. If Coker is fit, irrespectve if we won the previous game or not, surely he goes straight in at left back?

I guess it's subjective, though.

Would Coker do an improved job over Timlin, at the moment?

I think it's a closer call than people think.

Don't agree. You have to earn that right and so far this Season Coker has not.

You rarely see me blame just one individual for a goal, I don't scapegoat. However that late goal at Millwall in the cup was definitely down to Coker. You only see the throw in the highlights but even before that Coker was asleep and lazy which is why they won the throw in the first place. At least Timlin would have realised his mistake and been alive on the throw to make up for it.

If you include the Bradford game, when he came on very early I think we have only conceded 4 goals in 8 league games. To me the back four looks stronger with Timlin in it.

Timlin has hardly made a mistake in our 3rd of the pitch. Yes he did dive in late on at Swindon but not many teams leave just one at the back on corners. The great thing was the intent he had in his run back to make up for his error.

Me too. Said at the last home game that Timlin looks very accomplished at left back. Maybe not as good as cokes in the air or at going forward but is much quicker and effective in the tackle.

The problem is with coker and mclaughlin out of the team it leaves less forward momentum.

Funnily enough, we were talking about this as an option, as well.

The other thought, in Macca's absence, is whether to play Luke O'Neill on the right and moving Will across, but then that would mean splitting up Will and Demetriou, who work quite well together.

Ranger in for MAF for me unless injuries/fitness force Phil's hand:

Smith
Demetriou, Thompson, Ferdinand, Timlin
Atkinson, Lenny, Wordsworth, McGlashan
Cox, Ranger

Happy to give McG another chance but think he may be more of an impact sub as defenders tire. If he doesn't cut the mustard against Sheffield, I'd be interested to see Bridge get a chance of the left whilst Macca is out. He was class for Chelmsford coming in off the left.

Back