• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Strengthening the squad

Yep, good last season but not the same
Player since injury, and spends more time in the back line, we already have five defenders which imo is too many we do not need six! Also too many missed place passes & looses ball to often.
He certianly took a while after injury to get back to his best but i think he was back to his old self last 6/7 games of the season. Was my MOM away to Hartlepool, scored at Wealdstone and an assist at Fylde. thought was also our best midfielder Saturday. A very key player next season

He certianly took a while after injury to get back to his best but i think he was back to his old self last 6/7 games of the season. Was my MOM away to Hartlepool, scored at Wealdstone and an assist at Fylde. thought was also our best midfielder Saturday. A very key player next season
Yes agree, my thoughts exactly. With regards to effort he is definitely up there and should be retained.

plus we can't 'release' Miley and Coker as they signed 2 year deals around Christmas - would cost a packet to pay them off.

A lot of our existing debt is still paying off Powell / Bond / Campbell / Molesley, etc. - don't want to add them into the debt pot as well

I personally rate Miley and think he keeps the ball well and has a great footballing brain, he receives the ball in tight area's and is comfortable doing so and transitioning play, however i can appreciate he doesn;t catch the eye when driving forward ( apart from the goal last week ) which i do think he should be doing a lot more often for a player of his ability .

I would keep but would love a Brunt type player alongside him who will drive at the defense or at least look to break the line and stretch oppositions by making forward runs beyond, i feel one of our weaknesses this season is that for all the good football we play its always in front of the opposition and very rarely do our midfielders get beyond our front 2

Last edited:
I personally rate Miley and think he keeps the ball well and has a great footballing brain, he receives the ball in tight area's and is comfortable doing so and transitioning play, however i can appreciate he doesn;t catch the eye when driving forward ( apart from the goal last week ) which i do think he should be doing a lot more often for a player of his ability .

I would keep but would love a Brunt type player alongside him who will drive at the back line or at least break the line and stretch oppositions back line, i feel one of our weaknesses this season is that for all the good football we play its always in front of the opposition and very rarely do our midfielders get beyond our front 2

Zak Brunt is the guy - Boreham Wood play offs last season with him and relegated without. Barnet 2nd this year with him.

I’m still not fully convinced Cards is the prolific striker we need. Let’s see if he proves me wrong next season. For me another goal scorer is needed which could well be Waldron though we need back up (based on the other current options not being here). If we are going to splash cash on a big signing a combative midfielder would be on my list in the Timlin, McCormack or better stilll Peter Butler mould.

When I'm not sure of a player, I always try and ask where he would end up if released. Vilhete was a good example when many on here wanted him given a contract - I took the view that if he was released he'd end up in a lower league, which was correct. Cardwell is the opposite I think - if we released him tomorrow he'd be a football league player by the start of next season - which is probably a good indication of his worth.

When I'm not sure of a player, I always try and ask where he would end up if released. Vilhete was a good example when many on here wanted him given a contract - I took the view that if he was released he'd end up in a lower league, which was correct. Cardwell is the opposite I think - if we released him tomorrow he'd be a football league player by the start of next season - which is probably a good indication of his worth.
I don’t necessarily disagree BUT he doesn’t have a proven scoring pedigree at NL level as a 27 year old. That’s what I based my comment on and with the hope he proves me wrong

Zak Brunt is the guy - Boreham Wood play offs last season with him and relegated without. Barnet 2nd this year with him.
Absolutely no chance unless Barnet miss out on promotion, even then I think he's happy where he is so would be slim. I'll be nagging him though lol... I know Cards would love him with us.

I wouldnt be at all surprised if one of the wealthier L2 clubs signed Cardwell as backup. He could be next seasons "Dalby".

Back