• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

The EU Referendum

How are you voting?

• Leave

Votes: 58 56.3%
  • Remain

Votes: 45 43.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I am absolutely fed up to the back teeth of all the "this will happen if we leave" crap. No-one can accurately predict at this stage because it is an unknown, there is no precedent so everything is just conjecture and speculation.

I am absolutely fed up to the back teeth of all the "this will happen if we leave" crap. No-one can accurately predict at this stage because it is an unknown, there is no precedent so everything is just conjecture and speculation.

Possibly.

Although 'the French and the Germans will do their best to make it as difficult as possible for us', while still a guess, feels like something that would be very likely.

The main "lie" is that a Tory Government minister doesn't seem to be aware of the elementary fact that the leader of any one of the 28 member states can veto the accession of any new state into the EU.QED.

So am I. There's simply no way the leave campaigners can predict what will happen if we leave.

So am I. There's simply no way the leave campaigners can predict what will happen if we leave.

Absolutely. Both sides are as bad as each other. Just present the FACTS, don't keep coming out with new people every day to tell us WHAT WILL happen unless it is an actual fact. To my knowledge, the "remain" campaign have been worse at doing this than the "leave" one.

The main "lie" is that a Tory Government minister doesn't seem to be aware of the elementary fact that the leader of any one of the 28 member states can veto the accession of any new state into the EU.QED.

Shame no one used their 'veto' when Greece wanted in. Or the likes of Romania and Bulgaria and it wont be used in the future.

The EU is in crisis because of its ridiculous business model, which is expand at all costs and that will never change. If you vote in, then you will be voting for more of the same.

Which is what I have been saying, and why I believe this really comes down to gut feeling and peoples' attitude to risk.

And the risk angle is an interesting one. Many seem to focus on the perceived risks of leaving, overlooking that there would inevitably be risks in staying. Perhaps the next question to ask is who to trust to act in our best interests and help to mitigate those risks, the EU or the UK itself.

Absolutely. Both sides are as bad as each other. Just present the FACTS, don't keep coming out with new people every day to tell us WHAT WILL happen unless it is an actual fact. To my knowledge, the "remain" campaign have been worse at doing this than the "leave" one.

The problem is there aren't any facts. There is only speculation because no-one can predict what will happen.

Of course the remain will be "worse" because it is they are being negative about leaving. All leave have to do is point out how "bad" things are now, which is just as negative, but in a different way.

And the risk angle is an interesting one. Many seem to focus on the perceived risks of leaving, overlooking that there would inevitably be risks in staying. Perhaps the next question to ask is who to trust to act in our best interests and help to mitigate those risks, the EU or the UK itself.

But there is far less risk in staying because it just maintains the status quo. We already know what it will be like: better the devil you know and all that.

The Politics show (yes I know, caught it for a few minutes) summed it up nicely.

Those who say they will vote remain are worried about the economy.
Those who say they will leave are worried about immigration.

Last edited:
But there is far less risk in staying because it just maintains the status quo. We already know what it will be like: better the devil you know and all that.

Well we know what it is like now. Assuming that will never change is in itself a risk.

I'm not going to assume that my mortgage rate will never go up just because UK base rate has been unchanged for years.

Well we know what it is like now. Assuming that will never change is in itself a risk.

I'm not going to assume that my mortgage rate will never go up just because UK base rate has been unchanged for years.

Indeed. Which is why I said there is less risk rather than no risk.

Back