• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

We do have a better goal difference than both Crawley and Torquay. So if we win both games and Torquay lose to Crewe on Saturday, we will finish above them whatever their final game result is.

If Crawley only pick up 2 points from their final two games we would also finish above them provided we get the full six points ourselves.

It is clutching at straws I know, but it can be done.

Actually we may only need them to draw twice, not win . They have only lost 5 of the last 10 - so who knows?
:winking:

Even if we do win both games Torquay and Crawley could even finish above us with a draw against Hereford and a win in their other game.

If Crawley only draw against Hereford they need to beat Accrington away last game.If Torquay win against Crewe then a draw will be enough although I think Crewe could get a draw at least.

For me Torquay have a tough game against Crewe and to go to Hereford last game could be tough so Crawley are clear favourites to go up at moment.

I fully expect this to be decided on Saturday when Crawley beat Hereford and we draw against Oxford.

If they do both draw this weekend and we were to win then the next week will certainly be dramatic.

Whilst it's not entirely unlikely we could catch Torquay, I'd be amazed if we caught Crawley.... I would be very surprised if either we won at Oxford or Crawley failed to beat Hereford...and two very surprised = amazed.

That said there is always a chance, and one thing in our favour is that Crawquay need wins...when you are trying to get over the line and the pressure is on, winning games is a lot harder than just avoiding defeat (anyone remember Grimsby away 2005?).
If 2 points were enough for Crawquay it would be almost 100% we wouldn't catch them, but them needing 3+ points does up the pressure on them a little. (Though all that of course is dependent on us doing our bit, which is debatable to say the least).

Assuming Cheltenham take enough points from Bradford and Plymouth to cement 6th place, I'd be happier finishing behind Torquay in any case as I'd be much happier taking on Cheltenham in the PlayOffs than Crewe or Oxford.

To be honest it should be Play Offs for us, but until the last ball is kicked we can but hope. Hereford are fighting for their lives and anything can happen. Often the last day of the season throws up a surprise promotion team and this year I am sure we hope it will be us.

Torquay v Crewe will also be a bit of a crunch game with Crewe going for the Play Offs.

However, anything less than a win next Sautrday and we will settle for the Play Offs. No mean feat, but still need momentum to win through.

IMHO we shall finish a point or 2 off the Automatics.

I'm a little bit confused why is the fat lady not signing? can't she write or has she lost her pen?

Anyway your all getting confused by thinking of this in football terms complete the sequences:

Automatic: Swindon, Shrewsbury and....... Southend

Play-offs: Crawley, Cheltenham, Crewe and Ctorquay (poetic licence).

Simple, Sorted, Satisfied.

DoDtS

Am I right in thinking we dont need to win our last 2 games?
A draw against Oxford (coupled with a win over Macclesfield) could be enough if Crawley lose both games, and Torquay only manage a single draw in one.

I still think Crawleys run in has been the factor, and that Hereford wont be good enough to hold them on Saturday.

4 points could be enough but I would be very very surprised if that was the case!

I'm a little bit confused why is the fat lady not signing? can't she write or has she lost her pen?

Anyway your all getting confused by thinking of this in football terms complete the sequences:

Automatic: Swindon, Shrewsbury and....... Southend

Play-offs: Crawley, Cheltenham, Crewe and Ctorquay (poetic licence).

Simple, Sorted, Satisfied.

DoDtS

Or by straining the poetic licence with one more verse . . .

When we won the play offs in 2005, Sheffield Wednesday also won the League 1 play offs, and the spammers the Championship.

With this seasons play off spots, same teams, same leagues . . . same outcome?

I would like to go into the last game with the possibility of going up. That last game will be pointless otherwise and we may rest players. So 2 things have to happen Crawley don't beat Hereford and we beat Oxford. Oxford are not firing all all cylinders , so we have a chance there. Hereford need to win or are in massive danger of going out the league. The strange thing is the majority of the fans on their forum are confident of getting a result at Crawley. So we live in hope.

I would like to go into the last game with the possibility of going up. That last game will be pointless otherwise and we may rest players. So 2 things have to happen Crawley don't beat Hereford and we beat Oxford. Oxford are not firing all all cylinders , so we have a chance there. Hereford need to win or are in massive danger of going out the league. The strange thing is the majority of the fans on their forum are confident of getting a result at Crawley. So we live in hope.

Footy fans can be deluded souls cant they...

Havent won in eight games, have only won twice in 18, yet they are 'confident' of going to Crawley and winning.

Its the hope that kills you as I said before.

Hope they do but if they do it will be a shock result, not something they should be confident of.

Crawley aren't some super club sweeping away everything in front of them. They've had a number of soft fixtures lately and that looks likely to be enough for them to take the final promotion spot but they're a very different proposition minus Tubbs & Barnett than the one they were earlier in the season.

They certainly had a dodgy patch and you are right they have had a decent set of fixtures and probably not the team they were, but with Gary Alexander they got a decent replacement and Im sure they will despatch Hereford easily.

We all know deep down that the automatics are extremely unlikley , but we're all still clinging to what little hope we have left.
I even wondered about the possibility of Hereford bringing back Ronnie Radford for the game on Saturday , but found out that he is 68 and working as a carpenter in Yorkshire , so again , highly unlikely :sad:

Yeah without a decent pre-season behind him I wouldnt see him making an impact.

Funny how things change, I dont think we will be hearing about Lionel Messi doing plumbing in 30 years....

Would boost the gate at last home game if there was a chance of us going up automatically. Stockport Shrimpers will be there either way!

All right, I know it's clutching at some very thin straws, but....... Hereford don't need to win at Crawley. We just need them to draw, something they've done nine times away from home this season including at Swindon and Oxford. They'll be fighting for their lives (and hoping Wimbledon can beat Barnet). They've only lost once in their last five games. Their goalkeeper Bartlett has just been named in the latest League 2 Team of the Week on the Football League's official website. They are Bulls not Lambs - they won't lose. And they'll beat Torquay on the last game of the season too, because Torquay will have been crushed by Crewe Alex.

Oh, all right...... it's dreamland.....

Back