• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

The Fifth Test

This is looking a bit ominous. We need to get a half decent score - if the Australians get their batting in order then they're capable of setting a silly score, especially on this sort of wicket
wow.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Whatever @ Sep. 08 2005,13:44)]This is looking a bit ominous. We need to get a half decent score - if the Australians get their batting in order then they're capable of setting a silly score, especially on this sort of wicket
wow.gif
As well as thinking that Warne will get all 10 here, I also think that two of the out-of-form Hayden, Martyn and Gilchrist will get centuries here.

This is a flat track, batters paradise, with a fast outfield. Anything less than 400 is disastrous and that is a hell of a way off.

201/4 now... at least we've got the 200 up.

First innings par total on this deck would, you'd think, be a minimum of 450. That looks an extraordinarily long way off, despite how well Strauss & Freddy are playing.

Oddly enough, the decision to pick Collingwood looks thoroughly spot on, now...

Matt

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Matt the Shrimp @ Sep. 08 2005,15:00)]Oddly enough, the decision to pick Collingwood looks thoroughly spot on, now...

Matt
It won't do when we are a bowler light, bowling on a pitch which doesn't appear to be offering too much to the bowlers.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Hong Kong Blue @ Sep. 08 2005,15:13)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Matt the Shrimp @ Sep. 08 2005,15:00)]Oddly enough, the decision to pick Collingwood looks thoroughly spot on, now...

Matt
It won't do when we are a bowler light, bowling on a pitch which doesn't appear to be offering too much to the bowlers.
Yes, but their seamers are not a patch on ours. McGrath is now over the hill, Lee is quick but expensive, ditto Tait. I would fancy our 3 seamers over theirs any day

213-4 at tea. That is a good session in the circumstances for England, close on 100 runs for just the one wicket. We must still be in bat at close today, and hopefully until at least lunch tomorrow, for both the runs scored and the time occupied at the crease. We cannot afford to lose more than 2 wickets in this final session which will be 35 overs. A score of 325-6 will be acceptable at stumps.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (BILLERICAY BLUE @ Sep. 08 2005,15:16)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Hong Kong Blue @ Sep. 08 2005,15:13)]
[b said:

Matt
Yes, but their seamers are not a patch on ours. McGrath is now over the hill, Lee is quick but expensive, ditto Tait. I would fancy our 3 seamers over theirs any day
Maybe so, but I'd fancy their spinner over ours, and given that a spinner can bowl all day from one end, that can be quite handy.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Hong Kong Blue @ Sep. 08 2005,15:26)]given that a spinner can bowl all day from one end
Or not, as it happens... even Shaaaaane can't deny the passage of time and the toll of injuries and operations on his body.

Matt - the decision to pick Collingwood will look right when we're batting, but wrong when we're bowling... probably!

oops.gif
laugh.gif
ghostface.gif

That said, I had no idea what Anderson's country form is like. To paraphrase Michael Holding, who knows much more about that sort of thing than I ever will, Anderson's county form is mediocre at best...

oops.gif

Superb effort from both Strauss - his second ton of the summer - and Freddy, already past his half-century, and smacked Shaaaaaane for three successive boundaries.

That's more like it. 242/4.

smile.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Matt the Shrimp @ Sep. 08 2005,15:32)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Hong Kong Blue @ Sep. 08 2005,15:26)]given that a spinner can bowl all day from one end
Or not, as it happens... even Shaaaaane can't deny the passage of time and the toll of injuries and operations on his body.

Matt - the decision to pick Collingwood will look right when we're batting, but wrong when we're bowling... probably!

oops.gif

laugh.gif

ghostface.gif

That said, I had no idea what Anderson's country form is like.  To paraphrase Michael Holding, who knows much more about that sort of thing than I ever will, Anderson's county form is mediocre at best...

oops.gif
I'm sure I had read somewhere that Anderson had picked up 20 wickets in his last four CC games, but I think the decision to leave him out was correct as soon as we won the toss.....

256-4
smile.gif

Critical stage coming up. Australia have appeared to apply the brakes (possibly as the batsman are waiting for the new ball) to the scoring.

I sense a wicket coming up.
wow.gif

You can't play for stumps - there are 18 overs left!

They should play their natural game.

I'll shut up now, as I've caused enough damage
sad.gif

Any revisions on the wisdom of playing Collingwood. He's out for 7.
sad.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Hong Kong Blue @ Sep. 08 2005,17:11)]Any revisions on the wisdom of playing Collingwood. He's out for 7.
sad.gif
Well, we agreed that they should have picked Anderson...

tounge.gif

By all accounts, Colly was out to a poor decision...

sad.gif

Back