• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

There is nothing wrong with Timlin as a midfield player he is heads n shoulders above most .But sadly a left back he isn't .Far to many time he goes headlong in attack and leaves his defending roll behind leaving the back very open to the quick attack .Phil brown says he studies the team we are about to face seeing how they set up and were there strengths and weaknesses are .Does he not think the manager for who we play does the same thing . And if he watches very carefully he can see we are nearly always weak down the left with Timms still trying to recover from a forward raid .So no there is nothing wrong with Timlin as long as he isn't at left back .

I hope to have a chat with Tims tomorrow AND get some reflections from him; however if he says anything controversial I will not be repeating it!

No it hasn't - just probes the question of why Timlin has remained in the side so long!!

Hendrie today did all the things a LB should do and reminded me a lot of Coker. Drove forward, put in some great crosses but also got back and defended well, covering that space that Timlin leaves exposed so much which drags Ferdy out of position so much

Last edited:
Hendrie today did all the things a LB should so and reminded me a lot of Coker. Drove forward, put in some great crosses but also got back and defended well, covering that space that Timlin leaves exposed so much which drags Ferdy out of position so much

I don't often agree with you (actually ever :smile:) but on this I do!!

Hendrie today did all the things a LB should so and reminded me a lot of Coker. Drove forward, put in some great crosses but also got back and defended well, covering that space that Timlin leaves exposed so much which drags Ferdy out of position so much

Good shout Webby. The other part of his game which impressed me today was that he was prepared to put his head in for some low balls, he won them, and didn't get his head kicked in for doing so. As I say, impressive.

Sadly for Timlin, I think his tenure must be closing in. There are a very talented crop of midfielders In the squad now so less opportunity for Timlin in midfield. I like Timlin, and I think he is a fantastic asset to the squad, but would you pick him in midfield over Wordsworth, Lenny, Wright, McLaughlin or Kightly? No, nor would I, and herein lies the problem.

Hendrie has taken the opportunity to prove his worth and both performance wise and defensively we look a better side with him at LB. whether he is as good as Coker long term is obviously up for debate, but it does beg the question of why Timlin played at LB for so long, when he clearly isn't at his best in the role, and he has been creating as many problems as it was solving.

For PB, I guess a lot of these things are often close calls and he just sides with experience, until his hand is forced. When it is, often people who get the opportunity then prove their worth.

Hendrie, yesterday and Kyps earlier on in the season.

Another good example was when Luke Prosser got knocked out against Cambridge, PB had to pair up Bolger and Barrett and the rest is history.

It's a judgment call as to whether that's good management in keeping the squad competitive, or a bit of luck in that something came off that he wasn't sure would work.

I'm pleased that Hendrie finally delivered yesterday and I hope he will now kick on until PB has to choose between him and a fit again Coker. I think it's important to point out that Timlin has filled a hole in our defence in the absence or lack of form of others. Whether we think he did a good job or not is irrelevant and not the point of my post. What he has done is to play where the manager has asked him to without complaint. For that, thank you Timlin, as ever, you are a truly loyal member of our squad.

Another good example was when Luke Prosser got knocked out against Cambridge, PB had to pair up Bolger and Barrett and the rest is history.

I'd forgotten about Prosser but actually it was the next game when Thompson dislocated his shoulder after 11 minutes against Mansfield when Bolger and Barrett got paired up.

I know you don't subscribe to him being a lucky manager but I don't think he would have paired Bolger and Barrett through choice and I have always thought he was lucky that both Thompson and Prosser got injured. They had shot their bolt after the 4-2 loss at Stevenage - the only other time they had played together. They were all he was left with a pairing of last resort!

After the play off final they only started two more games together -the last one the win at Millwall when Adam injured himself celebrating.

well written RHB ,the stick given to Timlin stinks

I'd forgotten about Prosser but actually it was the next game when Thompson dislocated his shoulder after 11 minutes against Mansfield when Bolger and Barrett got paired up.

I know you don't subscribe to him being a lucky manager but I don't think he would have paired Bolger and Barrett through choice and I have always thought he was lucky that both Thompson and Prosser got injured. They had shot their bolt after the 4-2 loss at Stevenage - the only other time they had played together. They were all he was left with a pairing of last resort!

After the play off final they only started two more games together -the last one the win at Millwall when Adam injured himself celebrating.

I think there has been times 'LBBlue' where PB has had to make an adjustment that might not necessarily have been his first choice and it's worked in his favour, so yes, I do think lady luck/fate has played a part at times, but I guess that's the same with most managers.

I do think, though, that the assembled squad has in no small way resulted in PB being able to say that you make your own luck, sometimes.

On, say, the Kyps situation. He must have been identified and worked with in training on possibly being a centre-half cover. I think, in that regard, some behind the scenes credit is fair, as well.

Sadly for Timlin, I think his tenure must be closing in. There are a very talented crop of midfielders In the squad now so less opportunity for Timlin in midfield. I like Timlin, and I think he is a fantastic asset to the squad, but would you pick him in midfield over Wordsworth, Lenny, Wright, McLaughlin or Kightly? No, nor would I, and herein lies the problem.
Timlin can still do a job in CM imo, especially Away from home.

I think there has been times 'LBBlue' where PB has had to make an adjustment that might not necessarily have been his first choice and it's worked in his favour, so yes, I do think lady luck/fate has played a part at times, but I guess that's the same with most managers.

I do think, though, that the assembled squad has in no small way resulted in PB being able to say that you make your own luck, sometimes.

On, say, the Kyps situation. He must have been identified and worked with in training on possibly being a centre-half cover. I think, in that regard, some behind the scenes credit is fair, as well.

http://www.echo-news.co.uk/sport/13...d_sign_former_Watford_winger_Harry_Kyprianou/

I wondered about a left winger becoming a centre half - bottom of the article. Seems they had it in mind from the start.
Will he get back in the side when he is fit though- I doubt it. He is 21 in March. Players of that age, if they are going to make it, need regular league football.

PB clearly has a lot of football knowledge and has signed a number of talented players. I think he is his own worst enemy sometimes though overthinking and certainly over talking - I just done like the guy - I had a narcissist as a boss once. A policy of signing experienced players as long as enough stay fit and there is also someone who will bring in a transfer fee now and again to balance the books is fine by me. No one need pay a transfer fee these days.

I'm pleased that Hendrie finally delivered yesterday and I hope he will now kick on until PB has to choose between him and a fit again Coker. I think it's important to point out that Timlin has filled a hole in our defence in the absence or lack of form of others. Whether we think he did a good job or not is irrelevant and not the point of my post. What he has done is to play where the manager has asked him to without complaint. For that, thank you Timlin, as ever, you are a truly loyal member of our squad.

What's really frustrating for Hendrie now is that Coker is probably less than a month away from fitness. It's great to have the competition though as I still feel the emergence of Elvis, plus the long contract for him gave JD a kick up the backside

Phil must have been avidly reading hear, I just mention how I wish the club would be a little more informative sometimes regarding the player match stats ( running, tackles, sprinting etc ) then hey presto ,Phil has given us the "run down" on Hendries performance . Pretty impressive in terms of Kms covered and length of sprints during the game, one of the best performances yet in the team. Could he be up there with Lenny? Anyway pleasantly surprised as I thought this info might be confidential or unlikely to be handed out. So well done Phil !!, nice move, I dont expect it for every player, but interesting to know the detail for a change ?
P.S. info provided in one of Chris Phillips tweets

http://www.echo-news.co.uk/sport/13...d_sign_former_Watford_winger_Harry_Kyprianou/

I wondered about a left winger becoming a centre half - bottom of the article. Seems they had it in mind from the start.
Will he get back in the side when he is fit though- I doubt it. He is 21 in March. Players of that age, if they are going to make it, need regular league football.

PB clearly has a lot of football knowledge and has signed a number of talented players. I think he is his own worst enemy sometimes though overthinking and certainly over talking - I just done like the guy - I had a narcissist as a boss once. A policy of signing experienced players as long as enough stay fit and there is also someone who will bring in a transfer fee now and again to balance the books is fine by me. No one need pay a transfer fee these days.

Apologies 'LB'. Missed this yesterday.

Cheers for the link. I'll have a read, but some interesting points in your post, as well. Definitely think PB over-thinks things, during a bad spell of form. :thumbsup:

Apologies 'LB'. Missed this yesterday.

Cheers for the link. I'll have a read, but some interesting points in your post, as well. Definitely think PB over-thinks things, during a bad spell of form. :thumbsup:

Let's hope we never see a diamond again -seems to fail every time. Three centre halves never seems to work for us either.

Back