• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Tour de France

Uncle Leo

This cook is an anti-semite
It's that time of year again! Are many SZers going to be following this year's Grande Boucle?

High hopes for Mark Cavendish in the points classification - hopefully he can become only the second Brit (after Robert Millar) to win one of the big three jerseys.

As for general classification, Albert Contador looks a justified favourite, but I've backed Andy Schleck for a top 3 finish.

I don't think it's the most inspiring Tour route ever, but the opening stage in Monaco should be quality and it's always good to see the Team Time Trial back. Then the small matter of Mont Ventoux for the penultimate stage...

Cavendish needs to box clever to get through both sets of mountains. Other than that if he can stay out of harms way in the first week of crashes he's got an amazing chance to win green.

I hope the return of Amrstrong doesn't overshadow the whole race, unless L'Equipe & the French drug squad do their utmost to finally catch him red handed!

Bring it on...

Schleck sounds a good call to me James,

Not many stages seem to start where they left off the previous day, and thats one big train transfer after the penultimate stage ! i would imagine that the Tour will not be decided until stage 20 which keeps the interest up

O Grady will be at the front for the Green too, the other Schleck Brother is a top notch domestique and will help immensely

Anyone noticed that the route looks a little bit like a bear on its hind legs? (Colmar is the nose and go from there...)

lacarte.jpg

Interesting that Valverde would have probably ridden if the route wasn't going into Italy.

I'll also be intrigued to see how a city like Barcelona copes with being an "arrival town" - missing it by 5 days as well!!!

Am looking forward to this year's tour, although unfortunately it's going to be clashing with this year's main sporting event, so not sure how much of it I'll be able to catch.

In particular, I'm looking forward to Cadel Evans inhaling more helium before being attacked by soft-toys, which was undoubtedly the highlight of last year's tour (although Cavendish was pretty damn good).

Would love it, if Armstrong got caught.

I've got Armstong, Pellizotti and Kirchen in the work sweepstake (probably the most complex sweepstake ever)

I've got Armstong, Pellizotti and Kirchen in the work sweepstake (probably the most complex sweepstake ever)

Complex in what way? I am guessing that you have three riders to cover the 3 major jerseys (or is that for the podium for GC)?

Complex in what way? I am guessing that you have three riders to cover the 3 major jerseys (or is that for the podium for GC)?

I'm not sure how the draw was done but we've all got 3 riders each, then there is a prize for 1st, 2nd, 3rd, a prize for King of the Mountain and for the Sprint thingy.

Just love the TDF. Here in Sydney its cold and dark so it's great to see the sunny sound of France and listen to Liggett's dulcit tones.

Cadel is a local favourite, but I don't think he's got it in him. Would be a great story if Armstrong could be in contention. I guess Contador must be favourite but it'll be interesting to see how Astana work things out between them.

Just love the TDF. Here in Sydney its cold and dark so it's great to see the sunny sound of France and listen to Liggett's dulcit tones.

Cadel is a local favourite, but I don't think he's got it in him. Would be a great story if Armstrong could be in contention. I guess Contador must be favourite but it'll be interesting to see how Astana work things out between them.

Er no it wouldn't!!! Seeing as LA only finished 4th best Astana in the opening TT (despite being 10th on the stage overall) I cannot honestly see him being anything other than super-domestique for Contador (the sooner Bruyneel realises this, the better his team will perform). As Boardman said on the itv coverage on Sat, he'll probably finish top 15 but his results since his comeback have been "reasonable at best!"!!!

Team Time Trial should be interesting tomorrow, straight fight Astana v Garmin with Columbia & Cervelo test team as the outsiders.

Team Time Trial should be interesting tomorrow, straight fight Astana v Garmin with Columbia & Cervelo test team as the outsiders.

I love the TTT, glad to see it back. Garmin are really targeting that particular stage, think I may have a little punt on them if the price isn't too short.

Talking of short prices, Cavendish is as short as 1/2 for today's stage!

Re Armstrong, I'm thinking of laying him for a top 3 finish. I just can't see him being any better than about sixth.

Cavendish you bloody legend. Watched that finish with a Hushovd-supporting Norwegian colleague too, so all the sweeter. By the way, check out this lookalike...

Mark Cavendish

bingo-banana-splits.jpg

Bingo from The Banana Splits

81218926-388-100-388-70.jpg

Er no it wouldn't!!! Seeing as LA only finished 4th best Astana in the opening TT (despite being 10th on the stage overall) I cannot honestly see him being anything other than super-domestique for Contador (the sooner Bruyneel realises this, the better his team will perform). As Boardman said on the itv coverage on Sat, he'll probably finish top 15 but his results since his comeback have been "reasonable at best!"!!!

Just got interesting for Armstrong with the result of stage 3. He could get a yellow....

Just got interesting for Armstrong with the result of stage 3. He could get a yellow....

Gutted - although cannot understand why Contador/Sastre/Evans and the other big hitters didn't pay as much attention as they should have done. The exact same thing happened when the Tour passed through the Camargue in 2007.

It's extremely unlikely to happen but I would love to see the internal divisions within Astana come to the fore in the TTT today, e.g. those with Armstrong trying to race/drop those allies of Contador. As I see it, both LA & AC have 3 key allies in the team and it's just going to come down to whoever Kloden decides to support.

I certainly wouldn't trust Johan Bruyneel as far as I could throw him!

Gutted - although cannot understand why Contador/Sastre/Evans and the other big hitters didn't pay as much attention as they should have done. The exact same thing happened when the Tour passed through the Camargue in 2007.

It's extremely unlikely to happen but I would love to see the internal divisions within Astana come to the fore in the TTT today, e.g. those with Armstrong trying to race/drop those allies of Contador. As I see it, both LA & AC have 3 key allies in the team and it's just going to come down to whoever Kloden decides to support.

I certainly wouldn't trust Johan Bruyneel as far as I could throw him!

Does make it all very intriguing and exciting though. Armstrong needed a lucky break and he's got one, which really raises the stakes for everyone else. One can assume Astana will do well in the TTT, which means they are all going to have to go after LA in the mountains...which should make for some great racing

Does make it all very intriguing and exciting though. Armstrong needed a lucky break and he's got one, which really raises the stakes for everyone else. One can assume Astana will do well in the TTT, which means they are all going to have to go after LA in the mountains...which should make for some great racing

Canny more than lucky I'd say. He knew what that stage would be like & so was there waiting with his 2 trusty companions!

Just been reading about all the stuff about Vinokourov wanting to regain control of "his" team once his doping ban is up. Bruyneel, Armstrong, Leipheimer et al will all be fired and he will rebuild the team with mainly all Kazakhs & Spaniards.

LA rumoured to be setting up a new team for 2010 anyway (no doubt with Bruyneel as DS & Sean Yates (if healthy) as assistant).

Don't rule Columbia out of the TTT although they might not be as sharp after yesterdays shenanigans. They've got Tony Martin in prime position for yellow too.

Just backed Garmin at 4.7 for the TTT. They are bang up for this. I, on the other hand, have just been called in to an afternoon-long meeting, meaning my hopes of watching the stage from the comfort of my desk have been blown out of the water!

I think yesterdays' shenanigans have made things even more interesting in terms of the GC, we are really going to see what Armstrong still has in his locker.

Back