• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

The delay has almost certainly be affordability. A player who looks for £200k a year in June..and finds himself with £0 a year in August? May just become affordable.

Crawley have refused cash offers of 100k and 125k,so his wages are not the concern for most clubs but the transfer fee is the stumbling block.

It wouldnt surprise me at all to see Brown twist Rons arm to get some cash out of him for McLeod. Be a superb signing for us.

I'd be delighted if we sign McLeod but I just can't see it. I wonder if PB will give any indication on how the talks went...

CP mentioned that McLeod was someone we looked at if the signing of Hunt didn't come to fruition, so I'm surprised he is the forward in question.

An available front line of Mooney, Hunt & McLeod would be fantastic.

McLeod would be a good signing but not sure spending £100k on him is the best piece of business.

I know its been mentioned on other threads but possibly Theo Robinson would be a good alternative, free transfer, younger, quick and has definitely got goals in him.

PB knows more then i do so in Phil we trust!

Don't think it's necessarily the case that Crawley want more than £125k, they may have just been reluctant to sell him to a club in the same division, especially one they probably consider rivals for promotion.

This. The player himself has also said he wants to play in League 1 and not 2 which will hold us in good stead as I think it was between us and Barnsley amongst those interested. However, I've seen various sources on Twitter (not the most reliable I know) that seem to suggest Barnsley have cooled their interest.

This. The player himself has also said he wants to play in League 1 and not 2 which will hold us in good stead as I think it was between us and Barnsley amongst those interested. However, I've seen various sources on Twitter (not the most reliable I know) that seem to suggest Barnsley have cooled their interest.
Crawley are not thinking about promotion lol they are trying to avoid the drop this year

McLeod would be a good signing but not sure spending £100k on him is the best piece of business.

I know its been mentioned on other threads but possibly Theo Robinson would be a good alternative, free transfer, younger, quick and has definitely got goals in him.

PB knows more then i do so in Phil we trust!

Agree with this - given the choice of ~£150k on McLeod, or Theo on a free, I'd take Theo all day long as he'd be better business in a squad rotation role, rather than having £150k sitting on the bench some games. Plus Theo's age and the fact he's a known quantity to us is a bonus too.

If we do offer over £100k for McLeod, that surely suggests they're confident of selling Bentley? Would be a cracking signing but agree with the above - would prefer Theo Robinson on a free. McLeod's a bit of a diving cheat too, IIRC.

Don't think it's necessarily the case that Crawley want more than £125k, they may have just been reluctant to sell him to a club in the same division, especially one they probably consider rivals for promotion.

Plus reading the Echo story it sounds like the Notts County bid was not cash up front and was conditional on a number of factors (promotion + goals probably).

Interesting tweet from BBC Essex Sport: @BBCEssexSport: #southend Phil Brown hoping to sign a forward before Saturday. He's had promising news on Joe Pigott and confirms interest in Izale McLeod.

CP mentioned that McLeod was someone we looked at if the signing of Hunt didn't come to fruition, so I'm surprised he is the forward in question.

An available front line of Mooney, Hunt & McLeod would be fantastic.

I raise you McLeod and Robinson front pairing,now that would be delicious .

McLeod scored 21 goals in a relegated side last season, the guy is a proven scorer more so than either Hunt or Mooney. He is strong and powerful and free from injuries mainly, would be a great signing and could be the diff between a good season or a struggle

McLeod scored 21 goals in a relegated side last season, the guy is a proven scorer more so than either Hunt or Mooney. He is strong and powerful and free from injuries mainly, would be a great signing and could be the diff between a good season or a struggle

Agree agree,

Would be wonderful to get him here.

I’m in agreement that Theo would be a bettersigning and if he is on trial at Stevenage he has to be a realistic targetsurely? Izale is of good pedigree and I certainly wouldn’t be unhappy if wewere to sign him. At the moment I don’t think there has been anything otherthan fan speculation on Theo so doubt he is on the radar. On the face of thingsTheo with his pace gives us something we are lacking up top and him being availablefor no fee seems like a perfect match to me. Phil is the man with the planthough and knows what he wants for the way he’s going to set up, so if Izale isa better fit so be it.

I’m in agreement that Theo would be a bettersigning and if he is on trial at Stevenage he has to be a realistic targetsurely? Izale is of good pedigree and I certainly wouldn’t be unhappy if wewere to sign him. At the moment I don’t think there has been anything otherthan fan speculation on Theo so doubt he is on the radar. On the face of thingsTheo with his pace gives us something we are lacking up top and him being availablefor no fee seems like a perfect match to me. Phil is the man with the planthough and knows what he wants for the way he’s going to set up, so if Izale isa better fit so be it.

Theo and Izale up top would IMO have us challenging for the PO or better,maybe Ron does indeed have a cunning plan.

Weird that you're so keen on Theo, who has scored only 12 goals since 2012.

Could it be that judging strikers solely by their goals scored isn't fair or is that only true when it fits your agenda?

McLeod over Robinson all day long, Robinson has barely scored in past three season , McLeod a regular scorer

Back