• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

TV programmes you'd like to see again

For example, On the Buses, won't be re-shown because of joke racism but in parts was okay and might help explain 70's attitudes to younger folk.

That was just an example, I'd like to see "Just Good Friends" again, lots of it apparently were filmed in our corner of Essex.

There was a lot of racist or stereo typing other cultures in the 70s, but I didn't think On the Buses was bad in that regard. What it was bad at is old men perving after young birds.

A new 'Tales of the Unexpected' but with the same theme tune.

I was a regular watcher of that. So It always stuck in my mind that someone complained on TV that in the opening credits, they did the Roulette spin wrong, as the ball should always be spun the opposite way to spinning the wheel, Lol.

The secret files of Edgar Briggs -David Jason first big role

Dads Army,-Still laugh each week when its on BBC 2

Selwyn Froggitt -Bill Maynard

Wacky Races-Wish up dated for kids

Love Thy Neighbour won the racist stakes along with Alf Garnett

And Rising Damp. Mind Your Language was called racist, but it was more taking the mickey by stereotyping foreigners, and them getting English wrong or in the wrong context.

Still funny after all these years.

Last edited:
Mind your language was total tosh but I had to watch it because I fancied Francoise Pascal.

Love Thy Neighbour won the racist stakes along with Alf Garnett

Both programmes satirized racism, and probably uses language about race that would offend some people these days, but I don't think they were racist. Certainly Jonny Speight (who created Alf Garnett) and Warren Mitchell (who played him) were very angry and upset when people thought that they were celibrating bigotry. Warren Mitchell was quite an active lefty and hated it when people used to agree with what his character said.

Both programmes satirized racism, and probably uses language about race that would offend some people these days, but I don't think they were racist. Certainly Jonny Speight (who created Alf Garnett) and Warren Mitchell (who played him) were very angry and upset when people thought that they were celibrating bigotry. Warren Mitchell was quite an active lefty and hated it when people used to agree with what his character said.

Indeed and Speight was Jewish. Garnett always came out looking like the idiot that he surely was.

I think what they use to say was it showed up ignorance of the White man, I know Rudolph Walker and Jack Smethurst who played the two main roles in Love Thy Neighbour used this many times (Smethurst still alive, one for next year Deadpool :Smile:)

Myself and a few colleagues provided fire cover for a make shift helipad at a big charity do one sunny day in the height of summer. Warren Mitchell was a guest speaker. Baring in mind it was for kids with cancer and this was in the hospital grounds with all the children, their families and the nurses. His routine would have been more suitable for a stag night and he was totally smashed......All very embarrassing, in the end we thought Alf Garnet was nicer than Warren Mitchell.

Myself and a few colleagues provided fire cover for a make shift helipad at a big charity do one sunny day in the height of summer. Warren Mitchell was a guest speaker. Baring in mind it was for kids with cancer and this was in the hospital grounds with all the children, their families and the nurses. His routine would have been more suitable for a stag night and he was totally smashed......All very embarrassing, in the end we thought Alf Garnet was nicer than Warren Mitchell.

good point. Hitler was kind to his dog, people ought to look beyond the lefty media images and try to see the real person.

Indeed and Speight was Jewish. Garnett always came out looking like the idiot that he surely was.

Having seen Warren Mitchell do his one man show as Alf Garnett in London back in the late 70's, I'd say he was an intelligent man.Granted he did look something of an "idiot" wearing a West Ham scarf around his neck for the whole show :Winking:

So spooky was talking to wife about this last night, one of C4 best ever programmes about East London and the Canary Wharf project and the the way two blokes grafted for work

Was an absolutely an amazing show and one of my all time favourites. Gary Olsen and Brian Bovell were perfect for the role.

Really enjoyed Attachments back in the day. The BBC even set up the seethru website which you could go to. Also starred a young David Walliams in a straight role with Andrew Sachs playing his dad

A teenage Clare Danes in My So-Called Life. Very cutting edge for the time (early 90s) cancelled after one series. It'd be very tame these days.

Back