• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Cameron-less BBC debate had its top TV moment when Farage turned on the audience and Dimbleby had to reign him in. He really does believe in getting noticed at any cost.

Yeah, I thought that was not the wisest thing he had ever done. I only saw the first hour and thought Farage had a bit of a mare really. Not exactly a car crash, but differently a nasty prang. He banged on about the immigration thing far too much and it's starting to wear thin. Not his finest hour.

Yeah, I thought that was not the wisest thing he had ever done. I only saw the first hour and thought Farage had a bit of a mare really. Not exactly a car crash, but differently a nasty prang. He banged on about the immigration thing far too much and it's starting to wear thin. Not his finest hour.

I'd have to agree with that. However, what was improved was his behaviour. He didn't shout everyone else down, and gave them a chance to speak. Maybe that was the problem. He seems to love a good old fashioned bar room debate, but was reigned in last night.

Turning on the audience and the BBC really wasn't a sensible thing to do. However, from my perspective, the reason he did that was because he wasn't getting the applause that he was expecting. There's a difference in the reaction you get when the audience is made up to represent the country as a whole as opposed to your own supporters.

I'd have to agree with that. However, what was improved was his behaviour. He didn't shout everyone else down, and gave them a chance to speak. Maybe that was the problem. He seems to love a good old fashioned bar room debate, but was reigned in last night.

Turning on the audience and the BBC really wasn't a sensible thing to do. However, from my perspective, the reason he did that was because he wasn't getting the applause that he was expecting. There's a difference in the reaction you get when the audience is made up to represent the country as a whole as opposed to your own supporters.

The audience Imo were very silent when he finished speaking which I found strange,if the audience totalled 200 then by rights there would have been 30 UKIP supporters who would have clapped his every speech yet silence.

Yeah he seemed to have dialled it down, but showed his true colours when he criticised the audience. He was obviously riled that he wasn't getting the applause he expected. It was a perfectly balanced audience, so perhaps a realisation UKIP are still very much a minority view.

There has been very little discussion in the debates or manifestos about financial sector regulation. Which is worrying.

Yeah he seemed to have dialled it down, but showed his true colours when he criticised the audience. He was obviously riled that he wasn't getting the applause he expected. It was a perfectly balanced audience, so perhaps a realisation UKIP are still very much a minority view.

There has been very little discussion in the debates or manifestos about financial sector regulation. Which is worrying.

How can you say it was perfectly balanced,did you select everyone,how do you know?

The polls afterwards had Farage in third and on Twitter feed Farage was riding high,yet the audience were slightly hostile toward him.

The audience Imo were very silent when he finished speaking which I found strange,if the audience totalled 200 then by rights there would have been 30 UKIP supporters who would have clapped his every speech yet silence.

It looked to be a very small audience. I don't think there was anything like 200 people in there.

It looked to be a very small audience. I don't think there was anything like 200 people in there.

Even if if there were 100 then 15 should have been supporters of UKIP !

When Farge said that 300,000 immigrants require housing which nobody can deny ,the audience were embarrassingly silent.

It's been a while since I was in the Central Hall Westminster.But back in the day It could easily hold that number.FWIW,I thought that was about the number last night too.

When Farge said that 300,000 immigrants require housing which nobody can deny ,the audience were embarrassingly silent.

Maybe the audience were embarrassed for and by Farage.

The immigration card really doesn't play too well for UKIP in London.

I wonder why that is?

Last edited:
How can you say it was perfectly balanced,did you select everyone,how do you know?

The polls afterwards had Farage in third and on Twitter feed Farage was riding high,yet the audience were slightly hostile toward him.

You obviously didn't watch. Dimbleby confirmed the audience was invited by an independent polling organisation to provide a representive mix.

You obviously didn't watch. Dimbleby confirmed the audience was invited by an independent polling organisation to provide a representive mix.

Which another organisation can apply for tickets en masse and if they get those tickets then they give their biased view to their party of choice.

The green candidate who was almost crying then began screaming at Ed was way off the scale yet the audience cheered her every word!

Makes no sense.

Which another organisation can apply for tickets en masse and if they get those tickets then they give their biased view to their party of choice.

The green candidate who was almost crying then began screaming at Ed was way off the scale yet the audience cheered her every word!

Makes no sense.

It might do, if you take into account, that the Greens are quite popular in metropolitan areas like London.

Agreed. And I heard some clapping for him. Not a huge amount, but I would say it was in line with 14-15 people.

It's been a while since I was in the Central Hall Westminter.But back in the day It could easily hold that number.FWIW,I thought that was about the number last night too.

The hall can maybe, but the panel were standing where the seats ought to have been so the audience were squashed right at the back. It looked a bit odd to me.

However, the BBC did the same thing when they did a question time at a theatre near me. The stage wasn't used at all. The tiered seating had been removed and the panel stood where the first 10 or so rows of seats normally are. The audience were therefore on individual seats right at the back.

It seemed to me that they had done pretty much the same last night.

Makes no sense.

Get over it, slating the audience is instant death and he should have known better.

The audience was balanced as Dimbleby said, not everyone whoops whenever their guy says something, just when they say something that has a bit of impact and Farage had few impact moments. His misjudged attack on the audience probably made his own supporters want to keep quiet after that.

Reports I've heard is that in Thanet Nigel is rarely seen at the UKIP head office as it is too central and instead he conducts his business and PR in a pub that is a bit out of the way and they can insure that he is surrounded by supporters. That may explain why he was so perplexed that he didn't get the reception he expected last night - he has got used to being adored as the non politician.

Something that I found a bit shocking was William Hague on the analysis show that followed - he literally lied about every single thing he spoke on - because it was a short filler interview none of it was questioned but he started by saying Cameron was not invited to take part in that debate by the broadcasters and then trotted out lie after lie - it was quite bizzare.

he literally lied about every single thing he spoke on - because it was a short filler interview none of it was questioned but he started by saying Cameron was not invited to take part in that debate by the broadcasters and then trotted out lie after lie - it was quite bizzare.

I missed this piece afterwards. Can you tell me what he lied about please?

His misjudged attack on the audience probably made his own supporters want to keep quiet after that.

I'm not so sure it was misjudged. I am very far from a Farage fan and would never dream of voting for UKIP but I thought it was an effective tactic from him. There are clearly 85% or so that wouldn't contemplate voting for UKIP. Farage can use that to his advantage by turning it into a them and us issue so being jeered looks good to his core because it looks like a "liberal conspiracy to silence UKIP".

UKIP's issue is getting their core support out to vote not trying to broaden their appeal. Taking on the BBC and the audience was an effective way for him to do that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back