• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Itr's not that bad at all RBH.I spent 3 very enjoyable years there as an undergraduate.Must confess I haven't been back there too much since.:winking:

Brum is very modern now, some parts are very trendy these days - like any other city it has it's sink estates and ****eholes, but there are a many worse places to live. Perhaps RHB is more concerned about the distance from Southend?

Whats hacking me off - Windows 10 "Fall" updates ferking up my Microsoft Wireless Display adaptor, meaning I can no longer stream my PC to my telly. :angry: I formatted and re-installed a clean version, but as it automatically updated I got the same issue despite it working before it did the updates. :angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry:

Brum is very modern now, some parts are very trendy these days - like any other city it has it's sink estates and ****eholes, but there are a many worse places to live. Perhaps RHB is more concerned about the distance from Southend?

Got it in one MK.

One pesky car breaking down causing absolute gridlock in Hemel this morning, making me late for my train. So instead of one direct train taking about 35 minutes, I had to get one mainline, one tube, then an Overground, which, with luck, would take about 50. I got to Willesden in good time only to find that the Overground train was then delayed...by 25 minutes.

While waiting for the Overground, I got a call from the plumber who was meant to be visiting our house today to fix some radiators. He can't come today after all.

Great start to the day :thumbsup:

One pesky car breaking down causing absolute gridlock in Hemel this morning, making me late for my train. So instead of one direct train taking about 35 minutes, I had to get one mainline, one tube, then an Overground, which, with luck, would take about 50. I got to Willesden in good time only to find that the Overground train was then delayed...by 25 minutes.

While waiting for the Overground, I got a call from the plumber who was meant to be visiting our house today to fix some radiators. He can't come today after all.

Great start to the day :thumbsup:

Plumbing is pretty simple to do yourself as long as you don't touch gas.

On the contrary liberals support the criminal justice system.As LB pointed out Bulger's co-killer would seem to have been successfully rehabilitated.

Lol, the same criminal justice system where the reoffending statistics are ridiculous.

We're digressing slightly, but let's cut to the chase, for his last crime of possessing & distributing indecent images of children, Venables was sentenced to 2 years prison. How, as a father, can you, or any other liberal actually be happy & supportive of that level of "justice"

He's inevitably gone on to commit the same crime again. So now what? Another dose of rehabilitation, although it's been proven to be unsuccessful, on two seperate occasions?

Lol, the same criminal justice system where the reoffending statistics are ridiculous.

Re-offending is an interesting discussion. The headline number isn't really the whole story is it? You really need to look at the reasons for re-offending. It doesn't mean all re-offenders are beyond hope. It also means that they need more help than they currently get.

Society as a whole would obviously benefit in many ways if no-one re-offended, but this isn't a utopia, and that isn't going to ever be the case. The best we can hope for is to reduce re-offending to a minimum (whatever that is). Either way, one way we would benefit from lower re-offending rates would be the amount of cash we would save in various ways. So the question really is are we prepared to spend money to save it in the long run?

Someone with access to the data would need to investigate this, but simply saying that "re-offending statistics are ridiculous" is extremely simplistic.

Also, making a statement that "re-offending statistics are ridiculous" implies to me that you know the detail. So, please put this in context for the less informed. Can you let us know what the re-offending rates are, and how they have changed over the years? If possible it would also be interesting to look at that in line with funding for things like the probation service over the same period.

A colleague of mine died last night. I worked with him on a few small things - he was a nice, friendly chap not that old, a good few years off retirement.

RIP Peter. :sad:

We're digressing slightly, but let's cut to the chase, for his last crime of possessing & distributing indecent images of children, Venables was sentenced to 2 years prison. How, as a father, can you, or any other liberal actually be happy & supportive of that level of "justice"

He's inevitably gone on to commit the same crime again. So now what? Another dose of rehabilitation, although it's been proven to be unsuccessful, on two seperate occasions?

Not aware that Venables had actually murdered any children since the original offence.

Last edited:
Got it in one MK.

Brum is only 112 miles from London, IIRC.Not sure that counts as all that far these days.Our daughters have lived in Montpellier,Toulouse,Potiers,Buenos Aires and Paris respectively.All much further away but we still managed to visit them reasonably regularly.Though we did only go to BA once, for a fortnight.:winking:

Funnily enough, they're both living in Barna these days, though that's unlikely to last long, as the younger one is currently applying for jobs elsewhere.

Brum is only 112 miles from London, IIRC.Not sure that counts as all that far these days.Our daughters have lived in Montpellier,Toulouse,Potiers,Buenos Aires and Paris respectively.All much further away but we still managed to visit them reasonably regularly.Though we did only go to BA once, for a fortnight.:winking:

Funnily enough, they're both living in Barna these days, though that's unlikely to last long, as the younger one is currently applying for jobs elsewhere.

Southend to Brum - probably a 3hr drive, and thats when the motorways are behaving themselves. It's hardly down the road and you know what mothers are like.

...and you can stop off at Barking station en route and get a tasty samosa at the snack shack!

Might be an issue there if you travel from (say) Hockley. It's a bit of a walk from Ilford and I very much doubt they'd wait for you.

Back